The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 7, 2009, 04:16 PM   #26
banditt007

what does the vinegar solution do?

Also IMO for max cooling if possible getting the skin off helps a lot. Remember that skin and fur is the same thing that keeps the animal warm. aka keeping cold out and heat in. It still is trying to do its job when its dead too! Though when i hunt i skin when i get home (2hrs after dragging it out of the woods) right before i butcher it. but its fully encased in ice wrapped in a tarp on the way down, sans guts of course. I think if i was able to skin it, it opens it up way too much for contamination. since its sitting in some melting ice, has residue from any guts still there ect ect.
Old September 7, 2009, 05:02 PM   #27
goldfacade

This website http://www.askthemeatman.com/deer.htmhas tons of info. Its a butcher shop with a few things to sell, but a lot of good info. Hanging seems to confuse people some, you either do it and swear by it, or you don't and swear by that. The FDA recommends that individuals don't do it but there are guidelines for commercial outfits on how to do it. 36-40 degrees, from 2-16 days. There was a post on here about deer not having enzymes. I have a link on my work PC tat I will post tomorrow that shows that the enzymes are the same as the beef enzymes, so aging does work.

If you don't have a place to hang your dear whole you can quarter it and place it in a cooler with ice (careful, hard to regulate temp) or do like I do; quarter it and place it in the garage refridgerator set to 38 deg. In 2 weeks cut away all the dried ugly meat, debone and separate muscles and viola perfect deer.

ps: you don't need to do this to the tenderloins or the back strap. Those should be eaten right away; blackened with garlic string beans, mashed red potato's and yeast rolls.
Old September 7, 2009, 06:29 PM   #28
jammin1237

i would say the best way to post process any game meat would be to get it down below 40 degrees as quickly as possible... a well known form of bacteria bio-toxin called Botulism, (short for the toxins produced from the Clostridium Botulinum bacteria) basically only need 2 conditions to thrive... a temp of 40-120 degrees Fahrenheit and a lack of oxygen...

if you are going age it, plenty of fresh air and cool temps are the best(33-38 degrees)... aging does allow the basic cell structure to break down, moisture to escape, and allows the game to fully "bleed out"...giving you a more tender and flavor concentrated meat(ask any top notch steak house)...

my mouth is starting to water

cheers
Old September 7, 2009, 11:33 PM   #29
Coptalker

Get it cool, quick!

Depending on which season and species I'm hunting, the temperatures can vary significantly, from below freezing to mid 80's. I've long been told by a very wise man (Dad) that it's important to get the carcass cooled as quickly as possible. After the kill, immediately gut the animal. The hide is only left on long enough to get the animal back to camp as clean as possible, and then removed. If it's cool enough, we hang the carcass in the shade, typically overnight when Colorado temps drop significantly. Then it's time to pack up the critter and get it into refrigeration, and then only as long as it takes to get the animal processed, either by a pro or by yourself. As mentioned above, heat is the enemy, and if a nice thick elk or deer hide keeps the animal warm when they're alive, it will certainly keep them warm when they're dead.

Good luck!

Glen
Old September 7, 2009, 11:57 PM   #30
Nnobby45

Quote:
Contrary to popular belief, there are no "enzimes" in venison to make it more tender with aging. This ain't beef folks. There is, however, bacteria that will break down the meat. I prefer to have my venison with as little bacteria as possible
So beef is broken down by enzymes, and venison by bacteria. That what you're saying?

Guess that muddles the contention that as soon as an animal dies, bacteria begin the decomposition process which tenderizes the meat and ages it--up to a point, at least, since the decomposition doesn't stop there.
Old September 8, 2009, 08:06 AM   #31
Uncle Buck

It seems the main theme here, regardless of the enzyme issue, is getting the meat cooled down quickly.
I may be wrong on the enzyme issue, but I know that ever since we have hung the deer for three days, it has tasted much better and I want to get out and get another deer that much quicker.
Old September 9, 2009, 08:05 PM   #32
Buzzcook

Quote:
what does the vinegar solution do?
Vinegar is an anti-bacterial agent. It helps retard the growth of or kill bacteria such as ecoli that might still be in the body cavity and might grow on exposed tissue.

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/Pubs/foodnut/09369.html
Old September 9, 2009, 08:15 PM   #33
ZeroJunk

If you have a place to hang the deer in a cooler for a week or so it will make the meat a lot better. If you buy a high dollar steak in a restaurant you can bet it's aged.
Old September 10, 2009, 09:30 AM   #34
FrontSight

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that no matter how gamey it may taste, cooking with lots of onions will completely kill any gaminess and make it an excellent tasting meat.

Shoot a rutting buck poorly, leapfrog it for 2 hours, shoot it again, drag it for miles, take pictures with it, don't age it, and don't worry about it, because onions will make it taste fine.

Obviously, onions won't improve your hunting skills or ethics, but they will improve your dinner.

This knowledge came to me from an old (1800's) trapping book that I read. I wish I had read it 20 years earlier, because I would have enjoyed a lot more venison meals than I did in all those years!
Old September 10, 2009, 04:16 PM   #35
ZeroJunk

Or, grind in to burger and mix it with Lipton Onion Soup Mix.
Old September 10, 2009, 09:14 PM   #36
22-rimfire

The majority seem to support the quick field dressing, quick trip back to vehicle or camp, then skinning and cooling the meat as soon as possible unless you take it to a processor whcih should happen within 4 hours of the kill. If skin, the carcus or quarters need to be placed on ice.

I don't know about you all, but I have never tasted venision that did not taste like venision. Even the hamburger tastes like venison when blended with pork fat. My wife won't even cook the stuff. Most of the meat is given away after it is processed. Is the venison taste necessarily bad? No, but there is a favor different from beef that you have to at least tolerate.