The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 13, 2007, 02:18 PM   #1
OLD NAVY

I want to have my colt revolver refinished.

Hi,If I send my double action revolver to have it cromed,will they have to take all the parts out to do the job.The reason I asked is I just got it back from colt.It is not a handgun that just anybody can work on.Iam not sending to colt to refinish it.Thanks,navy
Old December 13, 2007, 04:59 PM   #2
Bill DeShivs

Yes.
Why wouldn't you want Colt to refinish it?
Old December 13, 2007, 05:17 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Yes, plating a gun requires a complete disassembly. About the only thing not generally removed would be something like the old S&W barrel pin or a front sight. All the internals have to come out. In addition, all the old finish has to be removed, plus some parts might need to be fitted so that the gun will still go together and work after a layer of metal is added. It is not just a matter of dunking a gun in a tank, and I strongly recommend using a plating service that specializes in guns. The local "bumper shop" would probably ruin the gun.

Not to be a wiseass but are you sure you want the gun chromed? FWIW, I don't care for chrome plating on guns. It has a cold, rather bluish look that compares unfavorably (in my mind) with the warmer look of nickel plating. I am not sure, but I don't think Colt will do chrome plating.

Jim
Old December 13, 2007, 08:39 PM   #4
OLD NAVY

refinishing

Thanks for the replies.I dont want to send it to colt because of the cost of the finish and ups charges.I have a company a few miles from my house.I can get the nickle finish for the same price.thanks,navy
http://www.elitecustomguns.com/pricelist.htm