The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 13, 2007, 08:20 PM   #1
Shotim

Learning the basics??

Hey guys, lurker on the forum. Interested in becoming a gunsmith, or at the very last learning how to do what I can. I am very mechanically inclined, and I love my guns, so might as well learn to work on my toys. What are certain routes to go about? I tried the search button, but couldnt come up with quite what I was looking for. Any particular books that are worth getting, I am mainly looking to get into just pistols and rifles. Also what kind of schooling is needed to become a smith, how long, how much kind of thing? Not necessarily looking to open my own place or anything, but possibly just do it on the side type of thing.

Really appreciate any responses.

thanks for your time.

Tim
Old December 14, 2007, 05:10 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I will repeat this from another thread:

"This issue has been addressed many, many times. I suggest you do a search on gunsmith or gunsmithing and read some of the previous posts. The consensus is that you can do simple jobs on your own guns without getting into the business, but if you choose to set up as a gunsmith, you are much better off to learn the trade in a school and go into business the right way. How about a license? Insurance? Place of business? Compliance with local laws? Bookkeeping? Tools? Etc., etc."

There are several good gunsmith schools, and they are on the web. Books and video courses won't hack it, you need hands on experience. If you had to have brain surgery, would you want a doctor who once read a book about it?

Just doing little jobs won't work. The frustrations will be as many, the money a lot less, and you get nowhere. With good training and a good business sense (good gunsmithing is NOT the most important part of running a gunsmithing business), you can become known as a quality gunsmith who does good work, on time and at a reasonable price. Without those things, you could become known as "that redneck gun tinkerer who put my scope on backwards."

Jim