The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 15, 2019, 06:52 PM   #1
Brutus

buying optics, what a pain

Posted this on THR but thought it might be of interest here as well.
With the purchase of my first ,223 I decided to get a new spotting scope to see those itty-bitty holes in the target. Bought one on sale at Bass Pro which seemed adequate until I got it to the range.
Since Bass Pro had such a crummy selection I returned it to Cabelas after researching the subject on the internet. They had a much better selection and I looked over all the different models. Settled on a Vortex Diamondback even though it was more than I had budgeted. Yesterday I was back at Cabelas stocking up on fishing stuff with my buddies. We stopped back at the optics department to look over some binoculars when it struck me how futile shopping for optics can be.
Can't understand why all the optics are way back in the corner of the store with the firearms where all you can see is the inside of the store. Seems to me they should put them by a window so you can peer outside at a distance and really get a feel for what your buying. Think I'm going back and ask the guy to haul them all over to a window, just to mess with them.
Old April 15, 2019, 09:32 PM   #2
LineStretcher

You are absolutely correct. At the Cabela's in Reno they will take you outside with the optics to see how they perform in natural light. I picked up a Redfield spotting scope at Cabela's that's not too bad. It's no Swarovski but if you buy the shoot n see targets, it works.
Old April 16, 2019, 02:02 AM   #3
std7mag

There are 2 LGS that encourages you to take optics outside and check them out.
Otherwise, most places seem less than enthusiastic about it.

Myself, i purchased a Celestron C70 Mini Mak. Love the thing!
For binos i'm using Vortex Raptors. Super light weight. Comfortable strap. Good clarity at distance and near. Plus has adjustable (ocular ?) For use with or without glasses.

Now if Sightron would get off their @$$, and build the rifle scope i speced out to them, i'd be a happy camper!

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old April 16, 2019, 11:38 AM   #4
RC20

I am usualy optic sensitive, hate the tiny cross hair but the new Leoupolds work.

My spotting scope is one my brother gave up on because it did not work for him and it does for me.

On the other hand two of them could see the old Leopold's fine and I could not no matter how much adjustment.

My favorites scopes are a 3 Cabella Alaskan Guide, what ever spec they build those two suite my eyes to a T.

I have a Nightforce, mostly I like it but the dot fades as the light condition varies and its not good in low and or bad light (heavy dark clouds or close to dawn or dusk)

Amazing how varying the eye can be.

I surveyed for a lot of years though and I never had a transit that I could not adjust to my eye. What do they do right that gun optic can't do? The transit ranged from fully modern to ones about as old style as George Washington's transit (smaller ears and tube but same look,

https://www.ebay.com/i/183739296871?chn=ps
Old April 22, 2019, 07:47 PM   #5
langenc

Leupold-- one O and one U.. Lew pold.
Old April 22, 2019, 10:14 PM   #6
TXAZ

I bought a used Celestron C8 for $300. 40-200x magnification.
Much easier to use and I bought a small Wifi camera that fits on there making it much easier to see, but not as rugged or waterproof.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old April 23, 2019, 02:36 PM   #7
RC20

Quote:
I never could spell worth spit.
Old April 24, 2019, 01:20 PM   #8
SageRatSafaris

Quote:
Many folks say LEO-pold, but I can confirm that LEW-pold is correct.