The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 14, 2018, 03:07 PM   #1
georgiacatweazle

Hornady 265gr .430 FTX through Ruger 44 mag SRH

hey guys, I have Hornady 265gr 430 caliber FTX projectiles that I was going to run through my Ruger SRH 44 mag. noticed online that they are listed as 444 Marlin ?? but not on the box. #4305

I'm assuming they are ok as .430 caliber ?

thanks for any verification.
Old April 14, 2018, 04:25 PM   #2
Hanshi

I've loaded and still have a supply of Hornady 265 grain JSP. By loading 20.5 grains of 2400 with that bullet, my 6.5" M29 gives 1360 fps; that's a wholloping load for sure. The bullet is probably too strongly constructed for use on deer; but would be ideal, IMHO, for hogs. That load is astonishingly accurate as well.
Old April 14, 2018, 04:45 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

They'll fit and shoot, but if you call Hornady, they'll tell you the jacket is thicker, moving the expansion velocity range up higher than you may be able to achieve in the revolver. But check with them anyway so you know what to expect. Often, for .44 Mag revolver hog loads with bullets that heavy, folks are using wide flat meplat very hard cast bullets, like Beartooth Bullets makes. They're almost a wadcutter, but BHN 21. I've seen some impressive photos of the holes they make.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 14, 2018, 04:57 PM   #4
georgiacatweazle

I have some 2400. May try that.
Old April 15, 2018, 08:55 AM   #5
Salmoneye

The .430" diameter will work fine in the SRH...

The gummi tip FTX would not be my first choice on hogs at any velocity...
Old April 15, 2018, 01:55 PM   #6
FrankenMauser

The 265 gr FTX (#4305) is intended to be used in .444 Marlin, while the 225 gr FTX (#44105) is intended for .44 Mag.
Either can be loaded in either cartridge, but check out the COAL, cylinder length, and crimp groove location before loading any. The FTXs have long noses, and many cartridge won't work with them without trimming the brass extra short. (In .444 Marlin, for example, the brass must be trimmed from 2.225" to 2.065" [0.160"!] in order to use the crimp groove and prevent feeding problems caused by the case mount hanging out past the ogive.)

Quote:
The gummi tip FTX would not be my first choice on hogs at any velocity...
Hornady changed the jacket of the 265 FTX about four years back, after getting too many complaints of it being too prone to fragmentation and losing the jacket. It's pretty much a tipped "Interlock" now.
Terminal performance is now about the same as the original 444 "Interlock": the 265 FP (#4300).
I still won't touch it, though. Friends don't let friends load short brass.

The 225 FTX? Not a chance. Way too 'soft' and fragile for my tastes.
Old April 15, 2018, 02:46 PM   #7
georgiacatweazle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser View Post
The 265 gr FTX (#4305) is intended to be used in .444 Marlin, while the 225 gr FTX (#44105) is intended for .44 Mag.
Either can be loaded in either cartridge, but check out the COAL, cylinder length, and crimp groove location before loading any. The FTXs have long noses, and many cartridge won't work with them without trimming the brass extra short. (In .444 Marlin, for example, the brass must be trimmed from 2.225" to 2.065" [0.160"!] in order to use the crimp groove and prevent feeding problems caused by the case mount hanging out past the ogive.)

Hornady changed the jacket of the 265 FTX about four years back, after getting too many complaints of it being too prone to fragmentation and losing the jacket. It's pretty much a tipped "Interlock" now.
Terminal performance is now about the same as the original 444 "Interlock": the 265 FP (#4300).
I still won't touch it, though. Friends don't let friends load short brass.

The 225 FTX? Not a chance. Way too 'soft' and fragile for my tastes.
Thanks for the information, I was going to use 44 special cases as those are already trimmed 44 mags. think those should be short enough ?
Old April 15, 2018, 03:52 PM   #8
Salmoneye

I was unaware that Hornady had beefed up the 265gr FTX...

I went to the 265gr FP in .44 mag back in the early 90's when I had what I considered marginal performance from 240gr Winchester white box on a 150# black bear...

My Super Blackhawk, and Marlin 1894's love them...

Not too worried about lack of expansion, and certainly not worried about the fragmentation that has anecdotally plagued the FTX...
Old April 15, 2018, 06:17 PM   #9
FrankenMauser

.44 Special is around 1.160", according to Wikipedia. (Sorry. Busy day in the yard, shuffling trailers, and dumping junk. At this moment, I'm too lazy to grab a manual.)

The crimp-to-tip measurement on a 265 FTX is 0.520".

That brings us to 1.680" COAL.
Should work. I believe SRHs have cylinders 1.760" in length. In a S&W it would be close (they're 1.700", I believe), but should be fine in most Rugers.

Measure first, so you don't waste your time. And be sure to use data specifically for the 265 FTX. They seat deeply, compared to other bullets of the same weight, and require lighter powder charges.
Old April 15, 2018, 07:04 PM   #10
georgiacatweazle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser View Post
.44 Special is around 1.160", according to Wikipedia. (Sorry. Busy day in the yard, shuffling trailers, and dumping junk. At this moment, I'm too lazy to grab a manual.)

The crimp-to-tip measurement on a 265 FTX is 0.520".

That brings us to 1.680" COAL.
Should work. I believe SRHs have cylinders 1.760" in length. In a S&W it would be close (they're 1.700", I believe), but should be fine in most Rugers.

Measure first, so you don't waste your time. And be sure to use data specifically for the 265 FTX. They seat deeply, compared to other bullets of the same weight, and require lighter powder charges.
before i do any loading with it, i'll check all the numbers.

thanks for the info.