The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 31, 2015, 11:00 PM   #1
Model12Win

Stoeger Coach Gun?

Hi everyone! I'm on the quest for a new shotgun, and I have to say, I have wanted a double barrel side by side shogun with a short barrel since I was a kid.

My Dad had a beautiful Browning BSS 20 gauge that was just awesome to shoot growing up, so much like Dad's S&W Model 36 revolver, I am naturally drawn to side by side shotguns I guess as I am also a revolver person!

After doing some reading on affordable side by side shotguns that fit the profile of being in 12 gauge, with factory barrels of between 18.5-20" in length, I came across the Stoeger Coach Guns. These are currently being made:

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/coa...igger-shotguns

I am interested in the 12 gauge blued coach gun with double triggers, as I've heard the single trigger models can have some issues. I'd prefer the reliability and simplicity of the double trigger system. These guns are hammerless, which I like, and while they don't have ejectors like Dad's old Browning BSS, I've read that the spent hulls will easily fall out of the gun if you polish up the chambers a bit.

I am wondering how these shotguns hold up. Are they reliable? Are they known to be problematic? How is Stoeger's customer service if I have an issue?

My uses for this little coach gun will be for mostly just plinking in the woods, blasting milk jugs and all manner of everything else that is safe to blast and doesn't have a heartbeat!! The gun might also be used for backup home defense. I plan to run all manner of low AND high brass in the gun. Any ammo I should avoid? Will these guns take a steady diet of 00 buckshot?

Basically, I need to know weather to get one of these or not, because it sure looks exactly like what I'm looking for and the price is right. If it holds up and will work for my purposes, I will be adding one to my little arsenal sooner rather than later.

Thanks for the input guys!
Old August 1, 2015, 09:05 AM   #2
Georgian

I had the Stoeger Coachgun Supreme in 12 ga years ago. It came with two factory chokes installed, improved cyl, and modified. I owned it for a couple of years, and loved it. Never had a malfunction with it either, but was told when I bought it that it had been owned by a cowboy action shooter, so I'm sure it had been smoothed out a little. Its one of the best current production doubles being manufactured right now. And you shouldn't have a problem shooting any 12ga round, except 3 1/2'' mags, as all Stoegers to my knowledge are 3".

God Bless
Old August 1, 2015, 09:16 AM   #3
FITASC

Quote:
Its one of the best current production doubles being manufactured right now.
At its price point. There are a LOT of fantastic doubles currently made,most of which are way above the price of the Stoeger.

OP, if you want it then buy it, knowing going in what you are getting and what to expect. Even if it turns out poorly, at least you satisfied your curiosity instead of always wondering "what if I....."
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 1, 2015, 09:43 AM   #4
Model12Win

Yeah well, thats why I made this thread, to get feedback on real end users BEFORE I take the plunge!
Old August 1, 2015, 12:18 PM   #5
FITASC

I shoot a lot of shotgun - it's my primary source for fun. I have fired the Stoeger and found the triggers to be heavy, gritty with a lot of creep. The one I fired was not well finished, the wood to metal fit was decent enough, but the balance and handling (for ME) was not so hot. My lower end SxS is a Savage Fox BSE and it is far above the Stoeger in those regards and I hate that trigger!

Again, that is JMO. I have been lucky enough to have friends who own and shoot some VERY nice guns, and once you get used to shooting something with a trigger that breaks like a S&W revolver in SA mode, guns at these price points leave you shaking your head......

If you are not used to that, then give it a try - I would borrow a few different ones from friends and see how YOU like it - if it meets your expectations, then get it.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 1, 2015, 12:45 PM   #6
TomADC

Model12Win if you decide to buy one, check out the various how too articles on SASS they really get them smoothed up.

P.S. don't forget to pattern it!