The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 5, 2002, 10:09 PM   #26
MadScientist

another thought on the 880. How long will it hold its air pressure? Anyone tested this? You might have to pump it up every night even if you didn't shoot it during the day.
Old February 6, 2002, 10:10 AM   #27
PUMC_TomG

I dunno - I think your best bet is to get an impact weapon and some training. The whole bb gun idea is kinda silly IMHO.

Also - my parents are pretty strict about firearms too. My dad doesn't like em at all and hasn't shot one since he was a small child and still won't come with me or my little brother to the range. But I kep preaching to them about the 2nd amendment - my responsibility to defend myself and loved ones - and the fact that I as also a Member and then Captain of a pistol team. They added up the facts and bought me a nice handgun for my 19th birthday right after I got my CCW.

Don't give up on the 'rents - they will see the light eventually. Also - firearms in the dorm are a no-no here at Purdue. I know of a guy a couple years ago who got the boot from the school for having a shotgun in the dorm. Counselors are nosy and are in your room frequently for smoke alarm checks etc. Don't risk it. I got yelled at for having a 4' CRKT Komodo on my web gear after an FTX last year. I was mad - did he think a member of the Marine ROTC contingent was going to go crazy and walk around the dorm slitting throats all night! However I also had a 26" ASP baton on the desk too. He had no idea what it was - and I made no effort to tell him.

My advice - 16" ASP. If you wear jeans it will fit evenly with the top of your back pocket while collapsed. Properly trained you can use it to strike, redirect, block, and disarm. Plus the psychological effect is enough to send most who would be fool enough to try to start something packing.

Just my .02
Old February 6, 2002, 11:56 AM   #28
ronin308

Preach on Brother Tom! The ASP is a great weapon. I carry the 21" daily. But before you start carrying it, check your local/state laws. In Indiana it is legal to carry one, but in Pennsylvania it is illegal. Since you're in the PRK it might be illegal...

Dan
Old February 6, 2002, 01:50 PM   #29
striderteen

The RA here is pretty cool, although she's an anti (I'm working on that!!!).

In that case, I need a good folder. Fixed blade is a no-no in Kali, even in a private school.

Quote:
626.10 (b) Any person, except a duly appointed peace officer as defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2, a full-time paid peace officer of another state or the federal government who is carrying out official duties while in this state, a person summoned by any officer to assist in making arrests or preserving the peace while the person is actually engaged in assisting any officer, or a member of the military forces of this state or the United States who is engaged in the performance of his or her duties, who brings or
possesses any dirk, dagger, ice pick, or knife [/i]having a fixed blade longer than 2 1/2 inches upon the grounds of, or within, any private university[/i], the University of California, the California State University, or the California Community Colleges is guilty of a public offense, punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year, or by imprisonment in the state prison.
The security chief was over last night to talk to the house...she said pocketknives were OK. Security's been upgraded in the last few weeks, the new guys are a lot better than the old ones. Probably can't get away with a "Ninja DeathMaster Stabbomatic 2002" like Golgo pointed out, but an ordinary folding blade of moderate length should be an adequate and effective weapon.

I'm moderately adept with stabbing weapons; less so with slashing weapons, unless they're full-length swords.
Old February 6, 2002, 02:41 PM   #30
Zundfolge

I also have to agree that and ASP would be a real good idea ... many people won't recognize it as a weapon, whereas some people are just as scared of people owning knives as guns (the jokes about 'knife control" aren't that far from reality ... just try to carry an automatic knife and see what happens).

a quick search dug up this site with ASPs for sale
http://www.ssafl.com/bat_prod.htm

I'm sure you can get them localy too.

One thing about an ASP ... if you get one, get some training with it. Someone who is trained with an ASP is a dangerous person for (even an armed) criminal to tangle with
"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws...you create a nation of law-breakers – and then you cash in on guilt."
Ayn Rand
Old February 6, 2002, 08:50 PM   #31
Joe Demko

May I suggest one of Buck's mid-size lockblades or one of Gerber's? They are ubiquitous, since they are sold at Wally-world, K-Mart, etc. They are reasonably cheap, so having it unofficially confiscated by a cop shouldn't break your heart. If you leave the factory edge on it, or develop the skill to sharpen it properly yourself, they are keen enough to do the job. Both companies make models that can be opened with one hand that aren't especially "Taktikal" looking.
Old February 6, 2002, 08:51 PM   #32
redneck

California has strange laws on folding knives. IIRC the length limit for carrying is something like a 5.5" blade or 12" overall length ( maybe 12-1/2"), so long as its concealed. Anyhow the REKAT SIFU is a big honker of a folder that just barely meets those limitations. You'll want to double check me on this, but I know we've been through it on bladeforums a few times and remember things being along those lines.

If your serious about an air gun, you might also look into a CO2 pistol. They be had for cheap, and generally shoot pellets from an 8 shot clip. They're down in the 400FPS range, but daisy makes steel tipped pellets. I can't imagine them feeling very good.
And you can store it loaded with the canister in, just don't flip the piercing lever until your ready to use it.

Or get yourself a paintball gun, and some ball bearings. Paintballs themselves are about .685" in diameter, so you'll want something a hair smaller. We shot some gobstopper like candies through one once, it was very hard hitting and accurate at about 30 ft. no one would volunteer to see just "how" hard they hit though.
Old February 6, 2002, 11:40 PM   #33
striderteen

Can't keep paintball guns or CO2 pistols on campus either...I've run through all the loophole possibilities already. I think a fairly run-of-the-mill looking lockblade will do the trick, as security has indicated that it's allowed. Something like a Masters of Defense Tempest would be cool, but too "taktikal" in name and too expensive for budget.
Old February 9, 2002, 11:02 AM   #34
Shin-Tao

Compound bow.
Old February 9, 2002, 11:38 AM   #35
Joe Demko

Personal experience showed me that possession of a compound bow will get you in the same amount of trouble as gun in a university system.
Old February 10, 2002, 01:30 AM   #36
striderteen

Pistol crossbow, maybe. I don't have to tell people about it.
Old February 11, 2002, 02:32 PM   #37
ThePatriot29

Being myself a college student, I understand where you're coming from. Here's some of what I've gleaned in my quest to find a viable self defense weapon I can keep on campus with no hassles.

In my experience, (in VA), a bow of any sort, pellet gun, or bb gun or firearm are all no-nos.

However, a good folding knife is ignored, especially if it reasonably is a tool. I usually carry a S&W SWAT folder, no problem. Before I got that, I used to carry a Buck 110 in my jacket. Once when I was helping set up a school function, someone needed a "pocket knife." I pulled out the Buck right in front of the Dean of Students and he didn't bat an eye. Attitude is alot of the issue. If something is a tool, like a PC folder, or a toy, like a baseball bat, people tend to ignore it. A few guys here even have "decorative" swords hanging on their walls as well.

A baseball bat should not be a problem either. Nor would a bo or quarterstaff or perhaps even an ASP. In my experience, people (like RAs) who aren't really into guns/weapons wouldn't know the more obscure martial arts weapons. While nunchaku are "bad" because they're recognizable, a bo or ASP or even a pair of tonfa would not be recognized, and thus ignored. Oh, and once someone asked me about the pair of tonfa I had lying in my room, and I went into a long story on how they were developed in Okinawa, yada yada yada.... thus providing "historical" significance.

I'd second the other recommendations that everyone's made: Start studying a martial art, it's great exercise as well. And whatever impact weapon you get, learn how to use it properly. And, even though a BB gun CAN kill, it would be more likely to tick off a BG. Good Luck!
Old February 14, 2002, 12:54 AM   #38
cracked butt

Why do you need a weapon on a college campus anyhow? Do you look for trouble? If you look for trouble, trouble will find you.
Old February 14, 2002, 01:02 AM   #39
Jamie Young

cracked butt

Pull your pants up when you say that would ya!!
Old February 14, 2002, 09:14 AM   #40
ThePatriot29

Some universities have high crime rates. Why would you want a weapon in your home? It's the same principle. Just recently there was a shooting at a law school in Virginia. A university is no more a crime free zone than a high school.
Old February 14, 2002, 11:48 AM   #41
striderteen

Hmm...one of my friends has a couple of katanas (cheap stainless-steel ones, mostly for fun). He doesn't really NEED them, though, he's a fifth dan black belt.

Anyone know where I can get a blade that's good enough to practice and fight with, but not too expensive?
Old March 17, 2002, 02:00 AM   #42
nbk2000

Not every weapon needs to kill.

Use a $10 fire extinguisher.

I can't imagine anybody saying "You can't have an assualt extinguisher!".

It's cheap, hassle free, effective, and also puts out fires! Oooohhhh.
Old March 17, 2002, 08:57 AM   #43
Edward429451

Getcha one of those cheap PR-24's with the side handle and work out with it. Cheaper than the ASP's and more effective. Books are around that show some techniques for them.

PR's are for that vast grey area where you cant or shouldnt use a gun, (like a college campus!). They are a most wonderful device and arent seen as an extremist thing yet. the side handle permits muce versatility in useage, strikes, low/high blocks, wrist drags (very painful), GA ST. Police takedown, and more. Concentrate on the joints! knees, elbows, collarbones (7lbs strike to break).

My PR's got me out of tight spots a few times...love it.
Old March 17, 2002, 09:26 AM   #44
riddleofsteel

One of the most viscous close quarters non-firearm/blade self defense weapons I have ever seen was a super soaker squirt gun filled with household ammonia. It will put down the biggest attacker from across a dorm room. You must get a face shot for the full effect.

The type of pepper gas canister used for bears is also a consideration. And its burns regular skin as well.

When I was on campus I kept a Jo staff made of hickory. I put two brackets up on the wall and hung the staff parallel to the floor above my bed. Draping a towel or wall hanging with the school logo or other trademark completes the illusion. With proper training a stout 4 foot staff will cover 95% of your dorm room self defense.

As far as blades chose a knife designed for food preperation. I kept a cutting board on the end of my desk for preperation of sandwiches and such. Just behind it was a razor sharp OLD HICKORY butcher knife. You don't have to be tactical to kick butt.
Old March 17, 2002, 01:42 PM   #45
HKguy9

STrider, I am also a college student. ACtually I'm graduating in a few months.

My parents are LA Republicans, but I won my dad over to the RKBA side though he's more comfortable without a gun, and my mom would flip out if he had one.

Do you play guitar or golf? If I were you and absolutely had to get a shotgun, I'd find something that were really compact, like with a folding stock, and stow it like in a violin case or something while you were away, even if you can't get to it fast. It's better than nothing. A pistol is easier to hide, but more expensive and I know how college budgets get. I'll assume you're less than 21, so that's out of the question.

I have 2 banjos, 2 guitars, a Dobro, a violin, mandolin, Chinese violin, grandpa's chinese violin and grandpa's electric guitar, so my closet is filled with cases...as well as two spare gigbags for my banjo and guitar. Hiding a somg gun in there is pretty easy as long as it locks. My sister plays a little guitar, so I'd be worried about her peeking in there and finding it if I left it at home. I live off campus so it's no problem.

As a dependent adult, it's difficult to spend $300 without mom and dad noticing. If you absolutely had to, I'd do cash, maybe launder it by pulling out $50 of the ATM every week or so, or pull out $200 or $300 the first week at an ATM for "textbooks" and other "school-related fees" as there are a lot esp at the beginning of the semester. Stash the cash and use some of it for a shotgun. Not telling you to piss your parents off, but if it's that important....

To me, I rather live the risk of being unarmed for a while...the chances of us getting attacked are very low, even in LA (decent neighborhood, Westwood, though UCLA has more crime on campus than USC, so I heard) and the chances of my parents finding/getting pissed are very high.
Old March 17, 2002, 10:50 PM   #46
Kevlarman

I'm also in college here in California. FIrst year, I lived in the dorms and all I had for defense was a can of pepper spray, and my Benchmade folding knife. I almost got in trouble when I ordered a can of 12 gauge shells to my dorm address, and was questioned as to wether or not I had a firearm in my room. I didn't, and they let me off the hook (and I got to keep the ammo). Is the campus really that bad, where you feel the need to be armed even in a dorm with hundreds of other students? On my campus, access to the living areas of the dorms is only granted to the people who live there, and all the doors are kept locked. Of course, I lived on the 3rd floor, so I wasn't really concerned with a burglar breaking into my room.

As soon as I moved into an off-campus apartment, I brought my Mossberg, and this year I'm giong to be buying my first handgun.
Old March 18, 2002, 01:23 AM   #47
HKguy9

Kevlarman, my school is pretty strict. No nunchakus, anything like that. I was even worried bringing a kitchen knife to my friends' dorm, we made sushi. Ya gotta see my sushi knife, it's huge

Last I checked, yo ucan't even have ammo here. Just to be safe, I was gonna shoot my coworker's .223 and I left my ammo at work.
Old March 18, 2002, 01:29 AM   #48
coonan357

well isn't shot gun just an oversized bb gun?? cut open a shell and show that to your parents ..

You can't argue with a .357 Mag.
Well, you can try, but you'll end up bleeding an aweful lot. -GEORGE HILL 4-08-2002

My Coonan is Not For Sale please do not ask!
Old March 18, 2002, 02:20 AM   #49
HKguy9

Yeah and show 'em a man-sized target that you cut in half with birdshot at 7 yards!
Old March 18, 2002, 02:45 AM   #50
nbk2000

Riddleofsteel:

In most (if not all) states, spraying someone with a caustic chemical (lye, acid, and probably ammonia ) is a crime punished by life in prison. You'd do less time for killing a person with a gun than for spraying them with a supersoaker with a corrosive chemical in it.

The "It's not an assualt stick (), it's a towel rack!" is a good idea. Proper camoflauge makes the difference.