The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old September 2, 2010, 03:16 PM   #51
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesheepdog
The brain can live without oxygen for 10 minutes before severe damage occurs to the brain cells.
Actually, no... brain cells start to die after four to six minutes of hypoxia. It can be longer in neonates, for various reasons, but after 10 minutes of hypoxia, adults or older children are in deep trouble... and will at best have severe brain damage. (Hypothermia mitigates this a bit, especially in infants, but only up to a point.)
Old September 2, 2010, 07:20 PM   #52
kgpcr

removed 20 bullets??? what the hell did they shoot him with that they did not penetrate a pellet rifle??
Smith M&P 40
Old September 2, 2010, 09:42 PM   #53
MikeNice81

I like the way one guy put it on his blog. When the NYPD starts shooting they "put up basketball numbers." Have you read a story in the last decade where the NYPD didn't use a few dozen bullets to get something done?

I think they need a refresher course. Maybe we should sign them all up for the NRA Basic Pistol course. Anybody want to teach them the "failure drill?"
Old September 2, 2010, 10:30 PM   #54
Nnobby45

Quote:
So forget the idea that you can instantly stop and instantly kill a B G .
Why? You've presented one incident. In many others, the BG was stopped quickly and effectively with one or a few rounds. Just can't count on it all the time.

Would be informative to know where all the "hits" were. Or, how many hits to the chest did he survive.
Old September 2, 2010, 11:42 PM   #55
siggygirl

I agree that for six minutes, it's *possible* you might get to do some thinking or tunneling or whatever with your head if you are headless. But complex motor movements in the peripheral nervous system with no connection to the brain? I doubt it. In humans anyway.

I have seen beheaded chickens do all kinds of things, including fly a bit for about 3 minutes after, give or take some. I certainly wasn't timing it.
Old September 3, 2010, 12:23 AM   #56
Nnobby45

Quote:
Probably needed a phaser.

Why? Just shoot the horse.
Old September 3, 2010, 08:09 AM   #57
Glenn E. Meyer

The horse was supernatural also.
Old September 3, 2010, 08:23 AM   #58
thesheepdog

Quote:
I agree that for six minutes, it's *possible* you might get to do some thinking or tunneling or whatever with your head if you are headless. But complex motor movements in the peripheral nervous system with no connection to the brain? I doubt it. In humans anyway.

I have seen beheaded chickens do all kinds of things, including fly a bit for about 3 minutes after, give or take some. I certainly wasn't timing it.
Wow, this conversation is really getting INTERESTING.
Old September 3, 2010, 10:45 AM   #59
siggygirl

What Sheepdog, you haven't seen the chicken thing? Guinea hens are the worst. It might not be a full three minutes but this wasn't a news story. I've seen this stuff. Any farmers care to back me up? Or whatever, it doesn't matter if you don't believe me. However, a third hand story of a headless body doing much of anything is bs, and funny bs at that. Maybe there was some kind of magic powder involved. Maybe it was a beheaded vampire.
Old September 3, 2010, 10:49 AM   #60
pax

Some of my earliest childhood memories involve chasing a headless chicken around the yard. Seriously.

pax
Old September 3, 2010, 11:11 AM   #61
thesheepdog

Quote:
What Sheepdog, you haven't seen the chicken thing? Guinea hens are the worst. It might not be a full three minutes but this wasn't a news story. I've seen this stuff. Any farmers care to back me up? Or whatever, it doesn't matter if you don't believe me. However, a third hand story of a headless body doing much of anything is bs, and funny bs at that. Maybe there was some kind of magic powder involved. Maybe it was a beheaded vampire.
Actually, I have seen the chicken thing! My parents own a ranch and I got to do plenty of chicken killing back in my junior years.
So yes, a currently inactive farmer here to back you up.

My comment about the thread getting interesting; was just that. It IS INTERESTING! HAHA!
Old September 3, 2010, 02:03 PM   #62
siggygirl

Well thank you two for backing me up! Yes, beheaded people discussions do make for interesting threads. It's fun to see what people believe and also to see what random facts or experiences people talk about and wonder why they know these things. We're kind of anonymous. Makes it a bit like multi-cultural, drunken charades.
Old September 3, 2010, 03:37 PM   #63
markj

Quote:
Any farmers care to back me up?
We just did a dozen hens, we put them in a kinda netting leaves their head sticking out, put head down cut it off net keeps everything nice and clean. Then dip and pull them durn feathers...

Years ago I was hunting turkeys a kid with us shot a huge tom in the head. That tom started dancing all over, the kid paniced and jumped on the turkey was soon covered in blood and feathers. We were laffing so hard had to hold each other up.

Pigs usually lay there stiff and the legs twitch rapidly

Is but nervous activity.
Old September 3, 2010, 05:07 PM   #64
Evan Thomas

The really important question is whether the flavor of the chicken is better or worse if it runs around after beheading.

I haven't done the experiment, but my money is on worse, I think.

(And I can't believe this thread is still open...)
Old September 3, 2010, 05:23 PM   #65
siggygirl

Yes it is worse. Tastes like stressed out chicken. Hard to describe. If you notice, several moderators have jumped in. Seems to be an enjoyable thread.

I wanna see another round of "women are naturally inept with guns and only shoot for their fellas. None I know have collections either." Maybe we'll get some cool entertaining pics and a throw down!

Last edited by siggygirl; September 3, 2010 at 05:30 PM.
Old September 3, 2010, 05:35 PM   #66
Nnobby45

Quote:
Yes it is worse. Tastes like stressed out chicken. Hard to describe.
Ah dang. I would have thought that all that running around would have dissipated the stress and made them taste better.
Old September 3, 2010, 05:53 PM   #67
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Some of my earliest childhood memories involve chasing a headless chicken around the yard. Seriously.
Pax, were those chickens related to Johnny Depp? We may have a trend here!

I have memories (nightmares actually) of being chased by chickens. I always smile when eating McNuggets - more dead chickens!
Old September 4, 2010, 12:28 AM   #68
siggygirl

Wow, after all these serious reports, I'm feeling like a need a light saber. But how would one conceal that? Does Galco make a holster yet? And should you go right for beheading? If I do, I'll make sure to look 'em in the eye and keep yelling at them when the rolling head stops so they care hear me until they're really really seriously dead. :barf:

(just once, I wanna be the thread killer)
Old September 4, 2010, 11:57 AM   #69
pax

Well, dangit. I contributed to the thread drift, but drift it is ... and that means it's time to close this one. Headless chickens are a very long way away from the thread topic, after all.

So I'm closing it. But I'll leave you with this: http://blog.snoozebuttonronin.com/20...good-exchange/

Thanks for the laughs, folks.

pax

[Edit: And in spite of rumors to the contrary, it's proof that moderators really do have a sense of humor. --Capt Charlie]
Closed Thread