The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 9, 2012, 09:54 AM   #1
delta tide

My first reloads. Qustion for everyone.

I decided to dive into the reloading world. I don't have a mentor or friend that reloads to "show me the ropes". I am basically just doing research on my on to learn. I will be reloading 40 S&W, 45 ACP, and 9mm to start off. I reloaded 30 rounds of 40 S&W for my first batch. I performed the plunk test in the barrel of the gun I intend to use, every round passed. They slide in, I applied pressure with my thumb, they all fell out easily, just like the factory round. When I tried the same test with a Lyman case gauge, 1/2 of the reloads would not fit into the gauge, the factory round and the other 1/2 of the reloads did fit into the gauge. Measured with a caliper and the reloads that did not fit were .002" -.004" wider at the case head. My question is since they passed in the barrel I will be using, should I be concerned or will this cause a problem. Thanks in advance.
Old June 9, 2012, 10:00 AM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

The only thing that matters is that they work in your gun. You could still have feeding problems even though they fit the chamber, only way to know is to try.

It sounds like the cases on those few are "glocked", meaning they were fired in a gun with slightly less support in that area so they got a slight bulge. As long as they fit your chamber you shouldn't have a problem.
Old June 9, 2012, 11:46 AM   #3
NESHOOTER

delta, you will want this for your .40 and .45

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/882...s-and-w-45-acp

but need this also http://www.midwayusa.com/product/289...nd-w-10mm-auto
and this for your .45

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/716704/lee-carbide-factory-crimp-die-45-acp-45-auto-rim

and this for your 9mm

http://www.egwguns.com/index.php?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=all&search_str=undersize+die&x=0&y=0

then once you brass has glocked/bulged this will allow you to safely reuse the brass again and fit like a factory round.
Old June 9, 2012, 02:20 PM   #4
farmerboy

they will be just fine. the case guages are just a tool to see but doesnt show you too much because sometimes they wont fit the case guage and still shoot fine in gun. Its just something else to sell a person reallly. Go have fun and tell us how they worked for you.
Old June 9, 2012, 04:22 PM   #5
Gerry

I agree with farmerboy. Your barrel is the ultimate case gauge. That being said, if you want to shoot these in other guns you have to test them there too. The case gauges are sized so that the rounds you make will shoot in anything like a factory round will. But from an accuracy point of view, the best rounds you make are tailored to your particular gun, not ALL guns. That's a big reason why people get into reloading in the first place - to make rounds better than factory.
Old June 9, 2012, 05:15 PM   #6
g.willikers

It comes down to who do you trust.
The barrel or the gauge.
It's quite possible that the gauge isn't made quite right, either.
It wouldn't be the first piece of test equipment that caused more problems than it solved.
I'd believe the barrel unless shown otherwise.
Old June 9, 2012, 06:54 PM   #7
TXGunNut

Agreed, GW. If I'm shooting them in only one gun the only guage I need is the chamber. If the guage indicates SAAMI specs then your ammo should be good to go in any gun that meets SAAMI specs.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old June 9, 2012, 07:13 PM   #8
delta tide

Thanks for all the feed back. I researched the Lee Factory Crimp die when I was ordering all of my equipment, but decided to wait and see if I really needed it. Looks like I may add it sooner than later. For now I guess I will go ahead and shoot my reloads since they head space properly in my chamber.

Also just another piece of info. All of my brass is once fired Federal. Some of it was fired in a Beretta PX4, the rest in a friends M&P. I didn't segregate the brass from each gun, so I suspect the cases that are bulged came from just one of the guns. I'm pretty sure my PX4 chamber is fully supported, not sure about the M&P.

I'll let you guys know how they shoot when I get back to the range later next week. Again thanks for the help. I am really enjoying my new hobby so far. I look forward to chatting with ya'll some more.
Old June 9, 2012, 10:21 PM   #9
NESHOOTER

The reason I use the Lee bulge buster is this weather I use my reloads as self-defense or not there is nothing worst than having a jam when you least want one so........ it for this reason I will always use these dies and you can also have loaded ammo and run it through the buster and it will resize loaded brass to fit all pistols as the pistol dies may not be set up perfectly for each pistol small differences in mixed brass unless you resize all brass then trim to exact brass col cartridge lengths.
Old June 9, 2012, 11:27 PM   #10
dacaur

The casae gage is made to minimum sammi chamber spec. The means that if it fits the gage, it will fit ANY chamber that is within sammi specs. Many guns have chambers that are larger than the sammi minimum (but still within tolerance) so that as you found, some ammo that is slightly out of spec will still work. If it works great you wont have any problem with it in THAT gun. I had a kel-tec PF9 that was pretty close to minimum, I never had a problem with my reloads, but some that I got from a gun show LONG ago (before I started reloading) would run fine in my p-95, but NOT in my PF9... I saved those rounds, and when I started reloading and got a case gage, I tried them, and darned if they didnt fit in the gage....
Old June 10, 2012, 12:13 AM   #11
Rangefinder

The case gauge doesn't fire your loads--the gun does. Trust the gun.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old June 12, 2012, 02:14 PM   #12
CherokeeT

Follow the chamber results. Don't use that Lee FCD for cast bullets.
Old June 12, 2012, 02:45 PM   #13
BigJimP

Personally, I rely on the case gague.....not barrels in a variety of my guns...then I know its right. I case gague every round - as I box them up ....and once in a while, I find a finished round with a little crack that opened up as the bullet was seated --- or a burr on the base rim of the case...and it sticks going in or out of the case gague / and I reject it - and pull that bullet ....and reuse the bullet and the powder out of the case ( and trash the case ).

If you don't have a final crimp die ...yes, I would get one.

I reloaded about 1,000 rds of 9mm this morning ...( all from swept up brass at my local range ) ...and I rejected 3 rounds...( 1 for a crack / 2 for burrs on the base rim of the case)...
Old June 14, 2012, 09:17 PM   #14
delta tide

I finally got to the range tonight. All 30 rounds that I loaded cycled flawlessly. No misfires or malfunctions at all. I know I don't have to tell you guys, but man, what a great feeling it was firing my first reloads. I know I have a lot to learn, but this is gonna be fun. Thanks to everyone for the replies.
Old June 14, 2012, 10:52 PM   #15
Dave R

Sniff. I love a happy ending.