The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 16, 2017, 09:32 AM   #1
flyboy015

D&H Tactical AR-15 Magazine Modification

Hey all!

With the addition of a 6-9" Harris bipod to my AR build, I was looking to get a shorter magazine as well, in place of my 30-round PMag. So while at my not-so-local gunshop of choice, a literal mom-and-pop place, I bought a D&H Tactical 20-round curved aluminum magazine for $18. I probably overpaid, seeing as my PMag was $8, but I don't care; I still believe in supporting these types of family owned businesses.

Problem is, the mag is harder than hell to load, and downright frustrating. I was using a variety of 55 grain normal-length target ammo, but when you push a cartridge in, the bullet tip gets stuck on the front face of the mag, and you have to push down, back, down again, sideways, left three degrees, etc. It took me probably two minutes to fill 20 rounds.

I was wondering if anyone has used a dremel to file down that front face? The magazine did function flawlessly for the 50 or so rounds I put through it, and I would hate to ruin something I paid $18 for. I actually gave up on it toward the end of my session and went back to the 30 round PMag, which by comparison is so easy to load, a three year old could do it, no sweat.

Any other ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated!
Old September 16, 2017, 12:56 PM   #2
surveyor

these were the last ones I ordered, while the magpul 20 rd work great, these let me load longer.
http://www.ammosc.com/223-stainless-...0-rd-magazine/
before I ground on the mag, I would try switching a follower from a mag that did not have issues, it could be a simple solution.
Old September 16, 2017, 01:46 PM   #3
FrankenMauser

I've modified a couple D&H 20s and 30s, but not for loading issues with .223/5.56.
My modifications were to aid in feeding a big, fat, single-stack cartridge that didn't like clearing the front of the magazine with certain bullets, when being pushed toward the chamber.

If your COAL is within reason, measure the magazine box to see if it's actually long enough.
I run mostly D&H aluminum magazines with cartridges that need over-max COALs, because they allow for just a bit more length without costing an arm and a leg. But it's well within reason for D&H to make a mistake once in a while, and kick out a magazine that binds on standard-length ammo.

You shouldn't need to modify for COAL, if the ammo is under 2.260".

It may not hurt to deburr the feed lips and other sheet metal edges, before doing anything else, either.
Old September 25, 2017, 09:35 PM   #4
langenc

Do AR bullets like a jump to the rifling??
Old September 26, 2017, 06:33 AM   #5
Mobuck

"Do AR bullets like a jump to the rifling??"
If you have a 5.56 chamber, loading bullets to a specific "bullet jump" distance while maintaining magazine fit may be impossible. Do the bullets "like" a run at the leade? I dunno, but some of the groups mine shoot with random bullet to leade distance are amazing.
OH, BTW, I load magazines with a LULA--makes the job easier on both fingers and magazines.