The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 15, 2017, 02:41 PM   #1
Pahoo

Home built bullet trap/catcher

Hard pressed to find the best place to list tis thread, so thought "Smithing" is as good as any. ????

I routinely do trigger work on a few firearms and often have to go to the range to test the functionality more so than test the accuracy. One of these firearms, is the Ruger 10/22 family as well as the MK,s. The last time I went to the range, it was closed. I decided I needed a better plan. So I made my own test trap. Started out with stacked news-paper and then decided to go to YouTube just by chance they had a video and sure enough, I found some good ideas. Won't go into detail here but basically used Rubber-Mulch and it works pretty good. There is practically no noise as I insert the muzzle slightly into the trap. Have not gone higher than a .22WMR. According to the video, that fella also shoots a 9MM into his. .....

Oh course there are a number of safety guidelines, to follow ......

Be Safe !!!
Old September 15, 2017, 03:22 PM   #2
TXAZ

I've found a parked Volvo with an intact engine to be a pretty good backstop for anything short of a .50 AP round.
But on a serious note, there is a local range here that uses several yards of rubber chunks as a backstop and it works well for anything up to a .338 round.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old September 15, 2017, 04:06 PM   #3
Bill DeShivs

A very simple bullet trap can be made with large diameter pipe with a thick piece of steel welded on the end. Fill with 10" of sand.
Old September 15, 2017, 04:22 PM   #4
Jim Watson

My neighbor the gunsmith put his lathe on a concrete base, block "legs," slab top. He just continued the base to the concrete block wall, dumped in some sand, and covered it with a board, just a small gap to shoot into.

There was a commercial bullet trap that was just a heavy cardboard box for the user to fill with gravel. When the gravel started leaking out the shot up front face, it was time for a new front face. When the gravel was blasted into grit, time for fresh gravel.
Old September 15, 2017, 05:40 PM   #5
Scorch

Quote:
I've found a parked Volvo with an intact engine to be a pretty good backstop for anything short of a .50 AP round.
Airport long-term parking anyone?
Quote:
There was a commercial bullet trap that was just a heavy cardboard box
I remember something like that. We used to have a Ponderosa pine crotch log about 30" tall and 24" in diameter that served as our bullet trap in the first shop I worked in. Stopped everything up to and including 458 Win Mag.

On a more serious note, there are commercial "snail" or baffle style bullet traps available. Just google "bullet trap".
Old September 15, 2017, 08:57 PM   #6
RolandD

If you are just testing trigger function, wouldn't a primed cartridge sans bullet and powder work just a well? Easier on the ears, I would think.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old September 15, 2017, 10:41 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

If you're just testing trigger pull and function, dry firing is all that's needed.
Old September 16, 2017, 03:53 PM   #8
Pahoo

Not always !!!

Quote:
If you're just testing trigger pull and function, dry firing is all that's needed.
That is true but in some cases, not enough as in Semi-auto action which cycle themselves. .....

Aguila,
As a curtesy, let me give you another example; I have a beautiful Rolling-Block rifle. The first time I took it to the range. I had a miss-fire. I check the case and it had a good strike, I changed ammo and still had miss-fire. Went home and went back to the range with some CCI-Mini Mags. This time I got a couple of rounds to go off. Not good enough and it went back on the bench. Finally fixed the problem and test fired into a stack of news-papers. I would not wish this one you as you go through your learning-curve. ......

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; September 16, 2017 at 04:16 PM.
Old September 18, 2017, 05:34 PM   #9
tobnpr

In my shop, I use a 6' length of 6", schedule 40 steel tube with a 1/2" steel cap welded onto one end.
Filled to about 6" from the open end with compacted rubber mulch and capped with a couple of snugly fit 1/4" rubber sheets to hold the mulch in place. Not lightweight at around 125 lbs or so but I wanted beef.

I've run .300 WM into it, no problem. Rubber mulch is widely used as bullet stops at ranges and solid rubber blocks in clearing devices; ballistic rubber sheets as target backstops.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old September 18, 2017, 06:19 PM   #10
Pahoo

Impressive

Quote:
Not lightweight at around 125 lbs or so but I wanted beef. I've run .300 WM into it, no problem.
That is impressive and I'm making mine out of an empty cat-litter bucket. Mine will never see a .300-WM. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old September 21, 2017, 04:38 PM   #11
F. Guffey

Quote:
Home built bullet trap/catcher
Home made: Bullet trap or something to catch bullets. Most of my fabrication friends are gone, I am thinking no one could afford the one I was thinking of.

F. Guffey
Old September 21, 2017, 05:22 PM   #12
Don Fischer

Ya need a clearing barrel. 55 gal drum with about a 12" hole in the top filled with sane about 3/4 full. Test in your basement!
Old September 23, 2017, 01:46 PM   #13
GarandTd

I've seen home made ones utilizing a 55 gallon drum and rubber mulch. The user shoots into the end of the barrel with the removable lid and retaining ring.