The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 8, 1999, 08:57 PM   #1
kingknives

I want to get started in handloading, but one of my problems is I don't have any space in the house or garage for a permanent bench.
Any recommendations or advice from the crew out there? Thanks in advance!
Old August 8, 1999, 10:00 PM   #2
Grayfox

There are several companies that make a pedastal type stand for the reloading press. The one Midway sells looks pretty good and it's currently on sale for $32.99. Thats ten bucks off the regular price. It's shown on the back of the August catalog.
Check their webpage:
www.midwayusa.com
Old August 8, 1999, 10:11 PM   #3
Grayfox

Ok, I just checked. Click on the link above, go to the on line ordering/catalog section. Do a search for "Portable Reloading Bench". It will show you a picture, but doesn't show the sale price.
Sale price product number is 308-306. If you can't get that price on-line call them at 1-800-243-3220 and give the operator AD#123.
Old August 8, 1999, 11:29 PM   #4
JerryM

For many years, because of lack of space, I used a stand that I made. I used 2" threaded pipe and floor flanges plus 2" x 12" boards. I had the pipe cut to be compatible with my height. I used a 3 ft board on the floor and a 2 ft piece on the top to mount my press on. You can vary all this to suit your requirements. When I moved (a soldier) I just unscrewed the floor flanges and had something easy to move. Midway was unknown to me then (1960's). You can get all this from your local building supply and it is easy to make. Maybe it is just as cheap to get one from Midway, but it is worth considering when you have very limited space. Jerry
Old August 9, 1999, 02:27 PM   #5
Joefo

I have a Midway stand with a turret press on it and It works out real good. Sometimes I don't like being down the cellar all alone. <BG>

Joefo
Old August 9, 1999, 11:41 PM   #6
alan

Re your space limitations, and depending on what sort of press you now have, or plan to buy, the following rig should make a pretty good press mount. Other items can be placed on an ordinary table, mounting of a press is usually the major problem.

Get a piece of 3/4" thk structural grade plywood, it isn't pretty, but it will serve. Dim's on the order of 2' wide x 4' long. These dim's are approiximate, and can be changed to suit. Get a couple of feet of 11/2" or 11/4" dia steel pipe, length depends on whether you wish to operate the press standing, sitting on a chair or a bar stool. Thread each end of steel pipe, or have it threaded where you purchase it. Buy 2 floor flanges, same size as the pipe. Screw the pipe ends into the flanges, hand tight will do. Get a piece of 1/4 or 3/8" thk, mild steel plate, and drill it to match the bolt pattern in the flanges, 4 holes. Then drill the plate so that the press base will bolt to it. You might even be able to fasten the press to mounting plate with a couple of "C" clamps, depends on the design of the press base. Dim's of the plate to suit the mounting base on whatever press you use. Drill press bolt holes so that the press base clears the holes for attaching plate to flange. Bolt other end of pipe stand to plywood base, toward either end. Chair goes at other end or you stand there. This will counter act any overturning tendencies. As you can see, everything comes apart, or goes together in a few minutes. I could be wrong, but I suspect that total cost for all materials, press excluded, would be less than $20.00.

You can also construct a fixture from 3/4" thk plywood, that you bolt your press to. The entire assembly just sits on a convenient table top, or desk. In the early days of either Rifle or Handloader magazine, there was an article dealing with the design of such a frame. I worked one out, years ago, and mounted an RCBS Junior press, no longer made, on it, and used it for more years than I care to remember. Other than the plywood, the only other material required was 1/4" dia machine bolts, washers, and 4 pieces of 1" x 1/8" angle iron, a couple of 3/8" machine bolts and some drill and saw work. The fixture was never "pretty", but it worked, and with the press unbolted, it hides in a closet, out of sight and mind until needed.

As one of the other gentlemen mentioned Midway offers something similar, but with very little effort, and a few hand tools, you can put something together yourself, likely for less money, and with the satisfaction of having built/designed the thing yourself.

Good luck, and proceed, when reloading, with "deliberate speed", and due caution.
Old August 9, 1999, 11:46 PM   #7
alan

the rig descibed by Jerry M sounds good also, and since he used a minumum of metal, might be easier to do than was mine.
Old August 10, 1999, 06:17 PM   #8
kingknives

Thanks for all the input guys. I really appreciate it. That Midway stand may just fill the bill. I'm keeping the other stand instructions just in case. Take it easy!
Old August 11, 1999, 04:54 PM   #9
flatlander

I've used a Black&Decker Workmate for a portable loading bench. It's quite a bit more expensive than the Midway stand or the other homemade ideas posted here, but there are lots of other uses for it too. I have a 22"x16" piece of 3/4" plywood with a press bolted to it that I clamp to the Workmate. I made a powder measure stand like Sinclair's for my old Redding no.3 measure that clamps to the plywood. I use this outfit to load at the range when testing loads.