The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 30, 1999, 06:47 PM   #1
kingknives

I'm going to be getting into reloading soon and I was curious if there were any advantages or disadvantages to loading nickle cases instead of brass. I've always liked the look of the nickle. Thanks for any input from you professional loaders.
Take care,
Joe
Old July 30, 1999, 07:00 PM   #2
flatlander

Nickle plated cartridges don't tarnish like brass will, and it may feed a little slicker because of nickle's lubricity. But in loading many thousands of nickled 38Super cases for IPSC competition, the nickle plating scratched my Hornady titanium nitride sizing die. Now this die scratches every case I run through it. Same thing happened with 357 dies, only they were carbide RCBS brand. Nickled cases are supposed to outlast un-plated ones, but after years of shooting IPSC, I can't prove it, and even if it's true, it's not worth it to me
Old July 30, 1999, 08:10 PM   #3
Contender

Like you say Flatlander, The Nickel was primarily to prevent case corrosion especially when in the loops of a leather cartridge belt.

I've run into the same problem with sizing dies and nickel cases.

I'd say for cases to be reloaded often,go with the brass. They will be tumbled between loadings.
For cases(cartridges) subject to alot of "carry" duty rather than being shot up in a reasonable amount of time,go with the nickel.Although, if you take care of the cartridges/cases I don't think it's necessary.
Old July 30, 1999, 08:27 PM   #4
HankL

Nickel is somewhat harder than the brass when applied to it. It is more tarnish resistant.
It is harder to see if you have completely cleaned your nickel cases and if any grit is left on them you will certainly start the demise of your dies.

If you shoot two rifles of the same caliber this is a good way to keep your brass sorted especially when using automatic ejection.

Otherwise, I would stick with brass cases. You should purchase your carry ammo not reload it anyway so you can load the plated brass once after cleaning it very well and shoot it at the range and forget it!

IMHO Hank
Old August 1, 1999, 01:54 PM   #5
CCV

I agree with flatlander, stick with brass. I have also found the nickled cases seem to split sooner (probably some kind of embrittlement from the plating process).
Old August 1, 1999, 08:03 PM   #6
kingknives

Thanks for the input gentlemen, I'll be sticking with brass! Take care, Joe