The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 8, 2007, 04:20 PM   #1
1999cobra

Mossberg 930SPX

I'm getting tired of waiting for this - Does anyone know when this is coming out ...?
Old August 8, 2007, 07:49 PM   #2
Smitty in CT

They ARE out....

I have one on order, supposed to be here "any day now".

My dealer got it through Ellett Brothers Distributors, so if your dealer uses them then you can get one too. I still feel like I paid too much ($575), but I didn't want to wait for the price to "normalize"... I have seen them as low as $480 or so but that was for a backorder.

My dealer told me the gun shipped from Ellet Brothers at the beginning of the week. I'll post pics and range results once I get it.

I can't wait!!! I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas...oh wait, I mean the non-denominational winter festival....

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old August 9, 2007, 12:18 PM   #3
Desert01

I would be supprised to see them below $500. Still not a bad deal though compared to the Rem 1100 Tac
Old August 10, 2007, 06:07 PM   #4
Smitty in CT

It's here!!

I'll let you know how it goes at the range this week-end

Smitty
Old August 12, 2007, 11:23 AM   #5
Smitty in CT

OK....Here's the range report:

I stripped and cleaned the gun on Friday night, it's one mean looking gun...Showed up at the range on Saturday, 8o degrees ans sunny...couldn't ask for better...

I started off with 2 boxes of 3" Remington Nitro Magnums, 1 5/8 oz, 1280 fps, #4, I wanted to make sure that it was "broken in"... I took out the plug and let loose with a few 8-shot "bursts", it never complained. After a few of these I started to gather a crowd!!

I switched to some 2-3/4" target loads, Winchester "AA", 1 oz, 1145 fps, #8 1/2, these fed great and have very little recoil.

The last ammo I brough with me to try was some Federal Power Shok Low Recoil Buckshot, I bought this because some people have trouble shooting the low recoil stuff in an autoloader, the gun performed flawlessly.

I was out of ammo, so then the gun started to get "passed around", all together I put 150 rounds through the gun, I would guess another 100 to 150 was put through her by everybody else. No problems from anyone...

Everybody had fun with her, I don't think it would be ideal for skeet, but I'm taking her on Wednesday night anyway!!

Smitty

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old August 12, 2007, 01:02 PM   #6
RevolverLover

Nice...thanks for the range report. I'm looking forward to seeing one in person.

"One test = 1,000 expert opinions." -Art Eatman
Old August 16, 2007, 11:11 AM   #7
Desert01

Smitty,

What's the deal? I called in last night and supposedly they haven't started shipping. Must be a "CT" special.

Did the NYPD ever announce their winner?
Old August 16, 2007, 11:26 AM   #8
Smitty in CT

The guy I deal with ordered if through Ellett Brothers, it still had they're shipping label on the outside of the box.....???

As far as the NYPD deal goes, I'll give my friend that works down in the city a call and find out what he knows.

Old August 16, 2007, 11:29 AM   #9
1999cobra

[Quote]Smitty,
What's the deal? I called in last night and supposedly they haven't started shipping. Must be a "CT" special.
Did the NYPD ever announce their winner?[Quote]

That's what they told me as well ... Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm- now that's strange Mossberg has no idea they have shipped these rifles, well honestly that doesn't surprise me - with the way things are today - LOL
Old August 16, 2007, 01:09 PM   #10
Desert01

Smitty,

Any ideal if it will take a sidesaddle from Mesa or one of the other players?
Old August 16, 2007, 01:37 PM   #11
Smitty in CT

Looking at the 930, I don't see how. The side saddles that I have seen mount by replacing the trigger group pin with a bolt.

On the 930, there are two trigger group pins, you could modify the side-saddle to fit the dimensions of these pins, but I don't think there are any "stock" ones available...

The other side of the receiver is only has the two trigger group screws...

Old August 16, 2007, 01:50 PM   #12
Desert01

Looks like the forend will need to be trimmed to. Who's going to make the oversized charging handle?

Well I have my 930 breaching barrell patiantly awaiting the shotgun to go with it.....
Old August 27, 2007, 01:18 AM   #13
SCREAMIII2006

Nice looking scattergun.
That has a really long forearm.
Whats the shot capacity?
Does it come in stainless[ok,marinecote] and/or wood furniture?
Old August 27, 2007, 09:05 AM   #14
Smitty in CT

From looking at threir website, I don't see a marinecote finish or wood offered... if you wanted wood you could probably "make your own" with a mag tube extention, a rail and the ghost ring sights.

The gun will hold 7 in the tube and 1 in the chamber, its a lot of fun, I have had the wood "field" version of this gun for almost 10 months, the SPX version definitely gets some attention at the range, maybe it has to do with everybody wanting to see how fast they can dump eight shots down range...

Old August 27, 2007, 10:42 AM   #15
1999cobra

still waiting for one of my many distributors to get this in stock (YAWN) - anyone that wants one let me know when they come in I'll grab a bunch cause I don't think these will stick around long ---
Old August 27, 2007, 12:13 PM   #16
Desert01

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Smitty in CT were did you steal that from? I didn't see a armed guard at the Mossberg gate while I was there
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Old August 27, 2007, 12:26 PM   #17
Smitty in CT

Desert,

Are you set up with RSR Wholesale?? They're supposedly getting them, too...

I've driven past there...those guards aren't armed???

Old August 27, 2007, 01:21 PM   #18
Desert01

actualy I have no ideal I didn't go in the guard shack. I would be willing to bet you have a hard time getting in if they don't want you in the building though. They might have to "test fire" some 3 1/2 OO out of a 835 Tacticool Turkey

I think you have the only one outside the fence in the country. Unless this is the mysterious NYPD gun you are teasing me with
Old August 27, 2007, 02:44 PM   #19
Desert01

Oh and FYI I will see your 8 and raise you 2

11-87 SP, Gunsite shortend Easy Loader, Side Saddle, Schattergun Sights , Edward's Recoil Reducer, Shortend stock, 21" barrel and 9+1 mag tube
Old August 27, 2007, 04:14 PM   #20
1999cobra

RSR doesn't have them,
Jerry's doesn't have them,
Lew Horton doesn't have them,
Camfour doesn't have them,
Sporting South doesn't have them...

??????????????????????????????? - HUH - ????????????????????????????
Old August 28, 2007, 10:39 AM   #21
Smitty in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert01
....Oh and FYI I will see your 8 and raise you 2.....11-87 SP, Gunsite shortend Easy Loader, Side Saddle, Schattergun Sights , Edward's Recoil Reducer, Shortend stock, 21" barrel and 9+1 mag tube
That leopard print make it look SEXY !!!

Old August 28, 2007, 08:53 PM   #22
Desert01

Quote:
That leopard print make it look SEXY !!!
She looks good in the morning to, even with out the leopard
Old September 8, 2007, 10:26 PM   #23
cabbynate

I got one today here in Las Vegas NV. $515.00. I have not gotten to shoot her yet but is sure is a sweet auto loader. The salesman showed me an ad that showed the FN SLP with a price of $789.00 and the word "Banned" through the add. It was a gun buyers magazine like Shotgun news. Anyone no about this banning? He said they will not be importing them any longer.
Old September 8, 2007, 10:37 PM   #24
Smitty in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabbynate
I got one today here in Las Vegas NV. $515.00. I have not gotten to shoot her yet but is sure is a sweet auto loader. The salesman showed me an ad the showed the FN SLP with a price of $789.00 and the word "Banned" through the add. It was a gun buyers magazine like Shotgun news. Anyone no about this banning? He said they will not be importing them any longer.
First off, Welcome & Congratulations on the new gun!!!!

If the FN SLP is going to be "banned" it is because it has "no sporting purpose", I think it mostly has to do with the extended mag tube...it will probably affect the Winchesters, too. (since they are essentially the same gun)

Old September 8, 2007, 10:52 PM   #25
cabbynate

Thanks for the congrats!!!!!!! Had a hard time finding this one. The FN's are everywhere for $879.95. I hope they don't Ban the SPX for savilians. It holds one more shell than the FN an is every bit as nice as far as I'm concerned....
No matter what I'm glad I got mine.