The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 13, 2018, 05:38 PM   #1
CockNBama

Where do you position your Red Dot in relation to front post

Right now, I have mine almost sitting on the post. Seems pretty good, but I've just gotten it.

What do you do?
Old May 13, 2018, 05:42 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca

If I'm using a red dot, I ignore the front sight. Don't try to use parts of two systems that are not intended to work together.
Old May 13, 2018, 06:00 PM   #3
CockNBama

OK, where do you put it?
Old May 13, 2018, 06:28 PM   #4
1MoreFord

Assuming you can adjust your red dot like I can mine you adjust the red dot to POA/POI and use only the red dot on he target at desired POI. The red dot functions similarly to a scope reticle.
Old May 13, 2018, 07:35 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockNBama
OK, where do you put it?
On the center of the point where I want the bullet to impact.

That's how red dots are supposed to be used.

[Disclaimer -- I don't really use red dots. I'm red-green color blind. I have to use green dots.]
Old May 14, 2018, 05:53 AM   #6
OhioGuy

Are you asking where you put the red dot when shooting (assuming its already been zeroed) or where you put it when zeroing?

If you know your POI with your irons at a given distance (above the post, top of post, behind post, etc.) then adjusting your dot to fall at the same spot will pretty much zero your dot instantly. After that, your iron sights are just backup once you've become good at finding the dot in the window. The temptation is to always bring the dot onto the front sight, but it's entirely unnecessary. If the dot is on your target area *anywhere* within the window, you'll hit that area. The sights can be handy if you bring up the gun and can't find the dot -- with no iron sights you lack any reference for knowing whether you need to tilt the gun up or down.

The first gun I used with an RDS had no visible front sight so I had to learn to find the dot instinctively. So with irons, I pretty much ignore them.

Recall you should have both eyes open and be focused on the target with the RDS -- used this way you won't see your irons anyway, at least no more than as a blurred sight picture.
Old May 14, 2018, 06:25 AM   #7
Aguila Blanca

A red dot, regardless of whether it's a tube-type red dot scope or a tombstone-type reflex sight, is a stand-alone sighting device. It is NOT a replacement or substitute rear sight, to be used in conjunction with the existing front sight. You don't need to see the front sight through the red dot device.

If you do happen to see the front sight -- learn to ignore it, because it isn't used for sighting. A red dot sighting device works independent of any open sights. They are generally parallax-free. To aim, look through the sight move the gun until the dot covers the intended point of impact, and pull the trigger. If it doesn't hit where you were aiming, use the adjustment screws to shift the point of impact until it coincides with point of aim.

Again, a red dot is NOT a substitute rear sight.
Old May 15, 2018, 11:17 AM   #8
sgms

Agree with Aquilq Blanca, your red dot is a totally separate sight system and is not meant to be used with the existing sights. Set it like you would a regular scope sight (IE adjust dot to point of impact) then use just the dot independent of the other sight.
Old May 15, 2018, 07:22 PM   #9
Walt Sherrill

Depending on the type of sights used, some shooters try to set their gun up so that the factory sights CO-WITNESS with the illuminated sight system's dot. (That means that the sights on the gun, when on target, point to the same spot as the electronic DOT of the illuminated sight system.)

The disadvantage of this approach is that with most of the electronic sights, the physical (factory-type) sights already mounted on the gun MUST be exchanged for a set that is quite a bit higher. That means you've got spend money for something you MIGHT NOT use, and you'll might (if you use a holster) have to change your holster, too, to accommodate the much-higher front sight.

The advantage of this approach is that if the "dot" sight's power source fails or if the sight system is damaged, the sight picture remains the same and you can continue. (Those who do this say that when the electronic sight is working they don't even notice the other sights mounted on the gun.)
Old May 17, 2018, 04:50 AM   #10
ROCK6

For indexing to zero, I usually align my red-dot to the iron sights (on top of the front sight post when aligned), but that is just to get it on paper. After that, you zero the red-dot independent of the iron sights and simply ignore them. It's nice to have them co-witness as a back up and to keep the same sighting habits, but as mentioned, the red dot is independent of the iron sights. Many slow their times down if they leave their iron sights on as they habitually index off the iron sights; some advocate no iron sights to solely focus on the target with the red dot. I prefer the taller iron sights, but it's really dependent on the user.

ROCK6
Old May 19, 2018, 03:41 PM   #11
qwiksdraw

For both my AR15s with a red dot scope and my Keltec Sub2K, I set up a Co-witness with the red dot on top of the front sight first, then went to the range to zero them in. By doing it this way, the POI was very close and required very little adjustment to get a good zero.