The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 8, 2018, 04:56 PM   #1
justforinfo

Need help identifying an unmarked antique Civil War Rifle

Hi, All! Thank you in advance for any assistance you can give me. We are liquidating the estate of an avid Civil War buff who, among his extensive antique rifle and powder horn collection, owns this seemingly unmarked rifle. I am thinking it may be a good one, because the rest of his collection is impressive (Smith Carbine, Burnside, Starr, Gallager, Spencer Repeating, etc).

Any thoughts or input on what maker this gun is? Along with the serial number as shown in the picture, it is also stamped with a "U", and has a metal plate with the number "25" screwed on the underside of the stock. The forum only allows 3 photos, but can provide more in an email, I guess.

Thank you so much! Hope you all are having a good start to the New Year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Unmarked for forum 2.jpg (33.3 KB, 329 views)
File Type: jpg Unmarked for forum 1.jpg (38.8 KB, 254 views)
File Type: jpg Unmarked for forum 3.jpg (59.0 KB, 230 views)

Last edited by justforinfo; January 8, 2018 at 05:13 PM.
Old January 8, 2018, 05:32 PM   #2
highpower3006

It’s not Civil War. It is a trapdoor carbine, which is post war. Serial number dates it to 1874.

I forgot to add that the serial number is in what is considered the prime range for a Custer carbine

Last edited by highpower3006; January 8, 2018 at 05:38 PM.
Old January 8, 2018, 05:37 PM   #3
BillM

Appears to be a trapdoor springfield carbine. Post civil war. Seems a bit odd that a person liquidating a firearms collection would not recognize it. It's not an unusual or
particularly rare gun. Heck--Custer left a bunch of them laying around in Montana.

Someone will be along shortly to get the particulars on this one, they are well documented.

Welcome to the forum.
Old January 8, 2018, 05:45 PM   #4
justforinfo

Thank you so much for the help, guys! I apologize for my ignorance, but we all have to start somewhere, right? We own an estate liquidation company, and although my husband has been doing this for over 30 years, our area of expertise is fine art, fine antiques, furnishings and other TYPICAL items found in a home. When we come across something like this, we do our research, so thank you very much for your help with that!

I will run with it from here. Thank you again. If any of you gentlemen are interested in seeing or purchasing any of the rifles, please let us know, as they are all available.

Cheers!
Old January 8, 2018, 06:25 PM   #5
BillM

Quote:
I will run with it from here. Thank you again. If any of you gentlemen are interested in seeing or purchasing any of the rifles, please let us know, as they are all available.
Where are you located?

Highpower 3006 mentioned that it is in the serial number range of a Custer carbine. Might want to do a little research--it could make a huge difference in value if it is a Custer gun. (unlikely--but stranger things have happened)
Old January 8, 2018, 06:34 PM   #6
justforinfo

Hi, BillM!

We are located in Maryland, equidistant between Baltimore and Gettysburg.

Seems the serial number and structure does support that it is an all-original Custer era piece, so we're pricing it at $4100 or best offer.

Best wishes to you and yours, and thank you again.
Old January 8, 2018, 10:04 PM   #7
Hawg

Quote:
we're pricing it at $4100 or best offer.
I think your best offer is going to be way less than 4,100.
Old January 9, 2018, 12:17 PM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

"owns this seemingly unmarked rifle."

At the very least there should be markings on the lock plate underneath the hammer, both the US marking and likely a 4 digit year, similar to this:

https://www.shootersforum.com/attach...d-p10015-s.jpg

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 10, 2018, 09:23 PM   #9
Tidewater_Kid

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but "original" Custer era carbines can bring big bucks. Dick Hosmer over at Jouster forums is an excellent person to ask questions. I have his books and he is an excellent authority. If you want to maximize profit, he can tell you what it's worth. I have several Springfield Trapdoors and there are several things about this carbine that don't look right. The first is that the patina on the rear sight doesn't match the barrel it's sitting on. I will leave my other comments to myself.
Old January 11, 2018, 01:10 PM   #10
T. O'Heir

"Custer era" does not mean it was ever near Georgie or anybody he new. The lack of markings suggests it may have been, um, restored. However, the finish on that one is basically entirely gone. Isn't likely worth $4100.
Old November 28, 2020, 10:47 AM   #11
GunsRoses

Much like a rifle of the civilian war, but this is not it. Great weapon anyway!