The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 14, 2008, 08:26 AM   #1
Narcoleptic Warrior

Hunting with competition grade .22 rounds

I know that the recommended small game/varmint round is a high velocity .22LR with a hollowpoint projectile. However, in the case where HV hollow points are simply not available, .22 magnum rounds are unavailable due to lack of local demand and suitable centerfire rounds like .22 hornet are simply too expensive, how would match grade .22 ammo do for killing vermin, pests or harvesting game animals under 30lbs in weight?

In other words, if CCI minimags or Remington yellow jackets are not available for sale, how would the following competition grade 40gr solid nose standard velocity rounds do?

1) RWS R100 or R50
2) Eley Club Extra or Eley EPS Semi-auto Match
3) Lapua Midas L or M
4) CCI green tag or pistol match
5) Winchester T-22 target
6) Remington "Kleenbore" (comes in green boxes with white lettering)

Ranges will be from 50-70 meters.

I pose this scenario because my country has just legalised the hunting of vermin such as rats, crows...etc. Each carcass can be turned in for US$3.50 at designated animal control offices. Also, as match shooting was the previous predominate use for .22 pistol and rifles, almost no high velocity or hollow point ammo was imported.
Old June 14, 2008, 08:38 AM   #2
Boris Bush

I have killed animals with #s 3,4,and 5 on your list.

You will do just fine. place yours shots where they need to go and get some money!!!!!!!
Old June 14, 2008, 09:14 AM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

With head or heart shots on small critters, I can't see that it really matters which .22 rimfire ammo is used. House cat size or more, I'd suggest head shots.
Old June 14, 2008, 11:58 AM   #4
Scorch

Considering that the 22LR cartridge has existed in "standard" velocity format much longer than in high-velocity form, and that even then it was considered a great round, I see no problem with using standard velocity rounds for vermin and small game. I have shot CCI Green Labels at game (and may do so again if the coyotes behind a certain housing development try for my dogs again), and it works satisfactorily. I generally take head shots on game, but if you plunk one in the chest it will still do him in. Take the more parabolic trajectory into account to place your shots well, and you'll be OK.
Old June 15, 2008, 03:28 AM   #5
T. O'Heir

Hey, wake up! Your posting name is hysterical. Thanks. Where are you?
As with any rimfire ammo, accuracy depends on how well it shoots out of your firearm. You'll have to try a box of each to find which one shoots best out of whatever firearm you're using. If it's a semi-auto, it'll have to cycle the action and be accurate too.
A target velocity bullet will kill a rat or crow with no fuss. Mind you, crows are extremely smart. Full camouflage and shotguns are the norm in North America. An owl decoy and call is used.
Rats of any kind are just rats. Rumour has it that there are 20 plus million of 'em in NYC alone.
Old June 15, 2008, 09:03 PM   #6
crowbeaner

I've hunted with "target" 22s and haven't had any problems other than the price. I can't afford Eley ammo and the really good Federals are getting there, but I have used CCI Green Tag, RP Target (blue label box of 100), and WW T-22 in my old Remmy 511. It's fun to let a red treerat insult your ancestry and then pick him off with a headshot at 50 yards when he gets bold and carries his rude behaviour out into the open for God and everybody to see. My old K22 loved Green Tag, and shot the T-22s well enough to shoot nickels at 25 yards offhand. JMHO.