The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 25, 2018, 06:35 PM   #1
Cyanide971

Taurus 617 experiences?

Just curious if any of y’all have/had one (or several haha)? I’ve not been able to find one at any of my LGS’s, but have handled a couple of 627’s. Really liking the idea of a 7-shot snub that’s lighter than the S&W I saw a few days ago, which felt heavier empty than my old Beretta M9 did loaded. As for the 627 I got my hands on, didn’t seem like it’s little brother would be bothersome as a carry piece having the shorter barrel and slightly smaller grip.

Appreciate any and all input as always, and if anyone presently has one, could you please post pics of it next to others in it’s size range or even smaller for comparison? Doesn’t matter if another revolver or a semi-auto.

Thanks!
Old April 26, 2018, 11:31 PM   #2
gbran

Many years ago I had the titanium model. Perfect size, easy to carry.
Old April 27, 2018, 11:12 PM   #3
weblance

I have one. Mine has been a good shooter, and I wouldn't be nervous to carry it again. I chopped the hammer spur off of it, and carried it for a year or so. Its a heavy chunk of steel, but that helps when shooting full power 357. The rear sight notch is small, I would have liked it to be a bit bigger. I thought the stock grip was going to be brutal, so I bought a couple different larger grips, then I discovered the standard grip wasn't really that bad. Mine has 5 cylinder notches that are tight, and two that are a little sloppy, but thats pretty common for Taurus, and it hasn't been an issue with operation. Mine seems pretty accurate at self defense distances. It has a decent DA trigger pull, and a very nice SA break.

I don't think I have any pics, but its the size of a 2" Ruger SP101, with a Ruger GP100 diameter cylinder. No one makes a revolver like it, the 2.5" 7 shot Smith & Wesson 686 is much larger
Old April 27, 2018, 11:20 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Transfer bar breakage. Virtually every Taurus I've come across has it sooner or later. Taurus is aware of it but don't care. Buy S&W or Ruger instead.
Old April 28, 2018, 04:03 PM   #5
Dave Chuppa

I have a 617 DAO. The action is the smoothest action I have ever felt. I like it better than the LCR action. It carries well in the appendix position. It would probably carry in or on the belt easily in any position. I got rid of my SP 101, I figured if I was going to carry a heavy gun it should hold 7 rounds. It handles 357 pretty good. My wife loves it for shooting 38 ammo. I can’t post pictures I can’t figure how on this sight.
Old April 29, 2018, 07:36 PM   #6
badge851

I received one in 05/2003 as a birthday gift. It is one of my favorite guns and I've put over 10K rounds through it. The rounds are about a 50/50 mix of 357 Magnum and 38 Special. POA/POI is the same with 158gr 357 Magnum ammunition. Another ammunition it really does well with is the Barnes® 357 Magnum 125gr TAC-XPD. For 357 it is accurate and low recoil. I'll NEVER sell this gun!
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
Old May 2, 2018, 10:44 AM   #7
jfruser

I own one Taurus revolver. It was a bit of a drama queen at first and took some time to get right. Now, it has a great trigger (after I worked on it) and is reliable.

Still, I would pass over a Taurus and buy S&W or Ruger.
Old May 2, 2018, 04:18 PM   #8
gwpercle

I bought a Taurus because S&W didn't make what I wanted , a snub nosed , 5 shot ,
J-frame , in 45 acp. I bought the Taurus 455, it loads with moon clips and has a ported 2 inch barrel....everything I wanted and more.
Purchased in 2004 , carried and shot a lot...LOVE IT !
Super accurate, tight and well fitted , pleasant shooting ..no complaints at all.
I do own several S&W's ...
Purchase the gun with the features you want. I own two Taurus handguns the other's a 9mm and it's a keeper also. I would not hessitate to buy another Taurus .
Gary
Old May 4, 2018, 12:03 AM   #9
Cyanide971

Thank you to everyone who has so far responded, lots of good points all around.