The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 22, 2018, 06:06 PM   #1
Drodney

Considering the new Colt Cobra

I was thinking about getting one of the new Colt Cobra snubbies. Anyone have any experience with them they would like to share?
Old May 22, 2018, 08:15 PM   #2
bn12gg

Ditto to your interest in the latest Cobra model. I own a first and second issue Cobra. Both classics have aluminum frames. The new one is all "steel" of some sort. Hitchcock has a Youtube on the new Colt Cobra. He likes it !

.02. David.
Old May 23, 2018, 02:58 PM   #3
JN01

See the gun in person before you buy. If you browse different forums, some have related issues of tool marks, gritty triggers, improper timing, etc.

Others, myself included, have had good luck with them. Mine has a very smooth DA trigger with a lighter pull than either my S&W Model 10 or Ruger GP100. SA trigger is excellent. Lock up is perfect. No issues with the finish, though critics will point out that the matte bead blast finish isn't anything like the old Colt blue or polished stainless, which of course, it isn't.

I've only had it out to the range once so far. Shot 100 rounds at 7 yards, shot to point of aim (158 gr. ammo), seems accurate enough.
Old May 23, 2018, 06:19 PM   #4
dgludwig

What do you plan on using it for mostly, Drodney?
Old May 23, 2018, 07:26 PM   #5
Boarhunter

I like mine a good bit. Smooth, light DA trigger pull at least as good as some Smith PC guns. I have never fired the gun in SA mode, so I cannot speak to that feature. I have approximately 700 rounds of factory 125 grain range ammo through the gun, and it has become a fairly regular carry for me, riding in a CrossBreed SuperTuck IWB holster. The finish is nothing to brag about, but that is the least of my personal concern in a "using" gun. POA=POI at 25 feet with the range ammo and the hollow-points I use for sel-defense.

BOARHUNTER
Old May 23, 2018, 07:46 PM   #6
Cyanide971

I’ve got one on the layaway and dry fired it a bunch at the LGS before deciding to get it. I cannot remember the exact trigger pull weights, wanna say it was around an 8# DA/4# SA. It points well, I love that I can actually get a full grip on it, as well as it having the six shot capability. I can’t say much more, but I did take a few pics of it beside a Glock 19 for comparison.

Old May 23, 2018, 07:49 PM   #7
BarryLee

I like the look of the Night Cobra has anyone got one or even seen them for sell yet.

https://www.colt.com/detail-page/night-cobra-38spl-32
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old May 23, 2018, 08:15 PM   #8
Drodney

Thanks for the comparison pix Cyanide971.
Old May 23, 2018, 08:16 PM   #9
Drodney

I was thinking EDC.
Old May 23, 2018, 08:20 PM   #10
Boarhunter

It would make an excellent EDC.

BOARHUNTER
Old May 23, 2018, 10:12 PM   #11
Cyanide971

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drodney View Post
Thanks for the comparison pix Cyanide971.
You’re very welcome. Planning to use mine for EDC as well, at least until the Night Cobra comes along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryLee View Post
I like the look of the Night Cobra has anyone got one or even seen them for sell yet.
I personally haven’t yet, and the LGS says they list as being on back order. Plan to get one of those ASAP!
Old May 24, 2018, 10:26 AM   #12
Stoic

Cyanide's pics through me for a loop because the cylinder release is on the right side in one pic! LOL!
Old May 24, 2018, 04:01 PM   #13
Cyanide971

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoic View Post
Cyanide's pics through me for a loop because the cylinder release is on the right side in one pic! LOL!
LOL! Yeah, my dumb butt had the handguns on the opposite side so did an image reversal.
Old May 24, 2018, 04:30 PM   #14
mk70ss

I like the look of the Cobra, but went with the Kimber K6s. Better sights, better trigger, and .357 magnum capabilities.
Old May 24, 2018, 05:16 PM   #15
grade6man

I also looked at the Cobra and Kimber K6s. It was a no brainer. Better trigger, 357 magnum, and comfortable to shoot. Went with the Kimber. Found one lightly used at $685. Quite happy with it.. FWIW Grade6man
Old May 25, 2018, 01:03 PM   #16
Ledslnger

I can’t bring myself to buy new Colt stuff. They checked out of the regular consumer side a long time ago. Fired all their wheel gun gurus or they retired from what I heard. The new revolvers are shades of what they were. One of the reasons the company darn near went bankrupt. They forgot who regular Joes were and quit making us products.
Old May 25, 2018, 03:11 PM   #17
dgludwig

Quote:
I also looked at the Cobra and Kimber K6s.
I am hoping that either one of these revolvers will be made in an aluminum-alloy frame alternative someday. I prefer my edc guns to be as light weight as practical. It's hard to beat the original Cobra's 16 ounce weight and six-shot capacity.
Old May 26, 2018, 03:56 AM   #18
Drodney

Ledslngr, I have one of the last of the Pythons, a great gun and I am hoping this gun will come close to matching it. Maybe I will be disappointed but I am going to give a try.
Old May 26, 2018, 06:06 AM   #19
Sturmpanzer

Would love the Night Cobra..with an exposed hammer!!.. Im waiting for the .357 version to come out... IMO, the Cobra is a trial balloon to see if Colt can re-enter the revolver market... Seems like a great gun, and if it sells well, a .357 wont be far behind...just guessing...
Old May 30, 2018, 05:34 PM   #20
Drodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturmpanzer View Post
Would love the Night Cobra..with an exposed hammer!!.. Im waiting for the .357 version to come out... IMO, the Cobra is a trial balloon to see if Colt can re-enter the revolver market... Seems like a great gun, and if it sells well, a .357 wont be far behind...just guessing...
Yeah Sturmpanzer I agree. I'm hoping to see a new python or anaconda announced sometime in the near future.
Old May 30, 2018, 06:14 PM   #21
reddog81

I'd guess the lineup will expand, but it will happen very slowly. I'd bet it'll be years before any type of larger frame target model in .357 is released.
Old May 31, 2018, 06:04 PM   #22
Mycin

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog81 View Post
I'd guess the lineup will expand, but it will happen very slowly. I'd bet it'll be years before any type of larger frame target model in .357 is released.
FWIW, at the NRA show in Dallas, I was talking to a rep in the Colt booth, registering my desire for a 3" Cobra, when he dropped some hints about plans for the Cobra being up-sized to .357 and branded with a name that "may start with a 'P'".

Asked whether they'd stretch that into a larger framed .44/.45 model that starts with an "A", he wouldn't speculate.
Old May 31, 2018, 07:34 PM   #23
MTT TL

A Python would likely fly off the shelves if it were built correctly.
Old May 31, 2018, 09:59 PM   #24
bn12gg

When a late model is offered and flies off the shelves one wonders about values of classic pythons ????? Maybe the python price bubble breaks !! Sell your pythons NOW (!,?).

.02. David.
Old June 1, 2018, 06:40 AM   #25
MTT TL

I think a new Python model might actually cause an increase in the value of the old guns. Kind of like the muscle car revival has boosted the value of the old muscle cars.

Tags
"colt cobra" , 38+p , cobra , colt , snubnose