The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 12, 2017, 11:14 AM   #1
tipoc

Any Decent Polymer Framed .22 Pistols?

Maybe I'm not observant enough but are there any polymer framed semi-autos in .22 long rifle?

I'm talking pistols comparable to the stock Rugers Mk1-4, the Browning Buckmark, S&W M41 or the new Liberty, the old High Standard or Colt's, etc. Meaning a gun that with a few tweaks can win a match, or gather game.

I don't think that there are any at the higher end either.

What is out there that is comparable?

If not why not?

tipoc
Old September 12, 2017, 11:22 AM   #2
osbornk

Ruger Mark IV 22/45 would be my choice.
Old September 12, 2017, 11:36 AM   #3
aarondhgraham

Take a look at the Ruger SR-22 with the longer barrel.

Take a look at the Ruger SR-22 with the longer barrel.

I have the shorter barrel model and it's a performer,,,
The longer barrel model with someone with young eyes should do very well.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old September 12, 2017, 01:43 PM   #4
tipoc

Isn't the 22/45 a fiberglass reinforced poly? I believe it's Dupont Zytel, more a nylon resin than plastic or polymer. I know those are very good base guns. The Zytel is firmer than polymer and is a strong foundation for the barrel and action. Nothing there rides on rails.

I was thinking more along the lines of the polymer Walther P22, which is from what I can see mostly a plinker.

tipoc
Old September 12, 2017, 02:38 PM   #5
Maverick36

PPQ .22
Same size as 9mm. 12 round mag. Comes in 4" and 5" .
Old September 12, 2017, 02:52 PM   #6
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
can win a match
None of those all plastic guns like the Walter p22 or the Sig Mosquito, etc. are going to win in a match unless maybe a tyro or marksman class.

To be competitive, you need the higher quality .22 target pistols.

I'll amend that statement to say that yes, if you were someone like Darius Young,
Steve Reiter or Brian Zins, yes you could win a match maybe with one of those pistols!LOL
Old September 12, 2017, 03:22 PM   #7
Fishbed77

Quote:
Ruger Mark IV 22/45 would be my choice.
You won't do better than that in this category.

Sorry - potmetal guns like the P22, PPQ-22, Sig Mosquito, M&P-22, etc. don't hold a candle to the Rugers.
Old September 12, 2017, 03:33 PM   #8
sigarms228

Sorry - potmetal guns like the P22, PPQ-22, Sig Mosquito, M&P-22, etc. don't hold a candle to the Rugers.

What is pot metal on the PPQ-22?? The slide is aluminum with steel reinforcement pins for a couple hi wear areas.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...-ppq-m2-22-lr/

Quote:
The PPQ M2 .22’s slide is hard anodized, CNC machined aluminum.
Old September 12, 2017, 04:38 PM   #9
Fishbed77

Quote:
What is pot metal on the PPQ-22?? The slide is aluminum with steel reinforcement pins for a couple hi wear areas.
If that is true, I stand corrected. That would make it the exception among the Umarex-manufactured .22LR pistols that mimic popular defensive handgun designs (P22, PPK/S 22, M&P-22, 1911-22, etc.).
Old September 12, 2017, 04:50 PM   #10
WVsig

Umarex-manufactured .22LR pistols are just a step up from an airsoft pistol. They are completely disposable firearms IMHO. These days it seems like most of them run well enough but do not expect them to last very long.
Old September 12, 2017, 04:55 PM   #11
t45

I agree with the assessments on the Sig Mosquito. I've got one. No pot metal and a fun shooter. It's reliable only with CCI Mini mags but accuracy is not in the same league as the Ruger.
Old September 12, 2017, 05:03 PM   #12
WVsig

Quote:
I agree with the assessments on the Sig Mosquito. I've got one. No pot metal and a fun shooter. It's reliable only with CCI Mini mags but accuracy is not in the same league as the Ruger.
You got lucky. There is a reason the Mosquito went the way of the dodo. It was one of the worst guns Sig has ever made IMHO.
Old September 12, 2017, 05:29 PM   #13
Model12Win

SIG Mosquito I believe has a poly frame.

It's a SIG.

'Nuff said.
Old September 12, 2017, 07:36 PM   #14
WVsig

Quote:
SIG Mosquito I believe has a poly frame.

It's a SIG.

'Nuff said.
You know its not really a Sig. They did not make it. German Sports Gun did. Guess who makes a lot of the other throw away 22LR pistols mentioned in this thread......

Wait for it. Wait for it...... GSG

Last edited by WVsig; September 12, 2017 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Correct typos and info
Old September 12, 2017, 08:13 PM   #15
OneFreeTexan

Try

A Ramline,, great little 22.
Old September 12, 2017, 10:15 PM   #16
Cheapshooter

Quote:
You know its not really a Sig. They did not make it. German Gun Sports did. Guess who makes all the other throw away 22LR pistols mentioned in this thread......

Wait for it. Wait for it...... GGS
You know it's GSG. German Sport Guns. GSG is owned by the same holding company, L&O Group that ownes Sig Sauer, and others.
Quote:
You got lucky. There is a reason the Mosquito went the way of the dodo. It was one of the worst guns Sig has ever made IMHO.
Except it did not go the way of the Dodo. Unless the Dodo was renamed GSG Firefly!
Quote:
Guess who makes all the other throw away 22LR pistols mentioned in this thread......

Wait for it. Wait for it...... GGS
Still waiting because the Walther P22 is made by Umarex, and Umarex is not owned by GSG.
Secondly I in now way look at my P22 as a "throw away". Accuracy is sufficient for my use, 10 yard practice. Reliability has been more than acceptable with an estimated round count probably approaching 5K. Quit counting at around a thousand several years ago.
Is it on a par accuracy wise with a Ruger, or Buckmark? No. Is it a fun, and reliable range or woods plinker? Absolutely. Is it a throw away piece of junk? No way!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old September 12, 2017, 10:43 PM   #17
WVsig

Sorry cheapshooter it's a piece of crap. GSG is correct GGS was a typo. The gun was not design by Sig they just slapped their name on it. If it was high quality and sold well it would still have the Sig name on it. They changed the name because it was hurting Sigs reputation. Look it up. It's reliability record was horrible. The Sig Mosquito went the way of the Dodo because it no longer exists. They had to dump it down to GSG and import it through ATI IIRC and drop its price below $200 to keep the design alive.

Umerax make the Walther and those have their issues too IMHO. People will be shooting their Rugers and Buckmarks long after your P22 has bit the dust. Sorry but that is reality.

Last edited by WVsig; September 13, 2017 at 07:46 AM.
Old September 12, 2017, 11:47 PM   #18
Cheapshooter

My plasticand ZAMAK Walther will probably be in the mix with my Buckmark, and other rimfiresfor quite a while. Sometimes a bag full of rimfires, and a 50 cal can full of boxes is all I take for a day at the range. I always find room for low end guns along with my "approved" (by gun snobs) pieces.
Old September 13, 2017, 12:31 AM   #19
rock185

Tipoc, my polymer( whatever it's composed of) framed Ruger .22/45 has been an excellent pistol. The trigger is not equal to the S&W Model 41 I had by any means. But the 22/45 seems as accurate as the less refined trigger allows, with one big plus. The Ruger is functionally reliable, unlike my 41 that was VERY picky about ammo.......ymmv
Old September 13, 2017, 05:59 AM   #20
OhioGuy

I've had a Walther PPQ-22 for a while. It's a decent enough shooter and makes a good training aid to my full size PPQ. However, I believe I've noticed my groups drifting away from center recently, and I'm pretty sure it's not me, since my groups are just fine with the 9mm of the same gun.

I initially shot .22 a lot for practice, usually various range rentals. I had a .22 S&W Victory target pistol, but rarely used it. Definitely have far more misfeeds and misfires with .22 ammo.

At this point I've decided my money would have been better spent on extra 9mm ammo I also have a laser training cartridge that I keep in my range bag, and make a habit of using that at the range between strings of fire. I get 3x the trigger time without burning ammo.

If you really want a .22 for its own sake, then I'd agree with earlier posters, in that the Ruger Mark series is probably the best. I liked it better than the Victory, but both really are single-purpose target guns. They won't shoot or feel anything like a semi-auto.
Old September 13, 2017, 07:25 AM   #21
WVsig

Cheapshooter it has nothing to do with being a gun snob it has everything to do with the pistols in question. They were not built to last. They are what they are. If you have one and you like it and it suits your needs great. There is no need to get upset and hurl insults at people because they have a different view on said pistol.
Old September 13, 2017, 10:14 AM   #22
Cheapshooter

Quote:
They were not built to last.
Like Hi-Points?
The torture test videos by iragveteran8888 sure blew those gun snob fake rumors out of the water!
1917-1911M on Rimfire Central who wrote the P22 Bible has pretty much destroyed the same myth about the P22. With countless thousands of rounds fired in his.
No, they are not a "heritage" piece to be handed down for numerous generations. Maybe one or two. But calling them a "throw away" is nothing but gun snobbery.
Old September 13, 2017, 12:06 PM   #23
tipoc

Quote:
Tipoc, my polymer( whatever it's composed of) framed Ruger .22/45 has been an excellent pistol. The trigger is not equal to the S&W Model 41 I had by any means. But the 22/45 seems as accurate as the less refined trigger allows, with one big plus. The Ruger is functionally reliable, unlike my 41 that was VERY picky about ammo.......ymmv
The 22/45 is a very good gun and the equal of any other Ruger. The frame is made of Zytel and is not polymer.

More what I was wondering was why more 22s, that can challenge the offerings by Ruger, S&W and others, aren't made in polymer. Not a market for them? Not simple to do? Some factor that keeps what there is out there in the plinking class of 22s?

tipoc
Old September 13, 2017, 12:12 PM   #24
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
More what I was wondering was why more 22s, that can challenge the offerings by Ruger, S&W and others, aren't made in polymer. Not a market for them? Not simple to do? Some factor that keeps what there is out there in the plinking class of 22s?
Many competition target shooters, (bullseye, not action two handed) prefer a pistol with changeable grips or grip panels to fit their hands better. Since the molded polymer/plastic/zytel frames are one size fits all, it's not as preferrable to these types of shooters as ones with replaceable grips. When the Ruger 22/45 came out with the replaceable panels, target shooters were more happy.

Last edited by HighValleyRanch; September 13, 2017 at 12:33 PM.
Old September 13, 2017, 12:17 PM   #25
WVsig

Quote:
Like Hi-Points?
The torture test videos by iragveteran8888 sure blew those gun snob fake rumors out of the water!
1917-1911M on Rimfire Central who wrote the P22 Bible has pretty much destroyed the same myth about the P22. With countless thousands of rounds fired in his.
No, they are not a "heritage" piece to be handed down for numerous generations. Maybe one or two. But calling them a "throw away" is nothing but gun snobbery.
Are we talking about Hi Points? Seems like a red herring to me. Do they even make a 22LR? Why are you brining them into the discussion?

There are many reports about the loss of accuracy from medium round count 5,000 + P22s. Even brand new they are squarely in the plinker class of guns.

If you look at the full history of the Mosquito you will see that the gun has had reliability issues from day one. Most owners report it is only reliable if you run the most expensive ammo on the market, CCI Mini-mags. You are ignoring the guns history.

The cheap polymer 22LR guns are what they are. They are not "target" pistols and that is what the OP is really asking about isn't it.

He asked:

Quote:
Maybe I'm not observant enough but are there any polymer framed semi-autos in .22 long rifle?

I'm talking pistols comparable to the stock Rugers Mk1-4, the Browning Buckmark, S&W M41 or the new Liberty, the old High Standard or Colt's, etc. Meaning a gun that with a few tweaks can win a match, or gather game.

I don't think that there are any at the higher end either.

What is out there that is comparable?

If not why not?
The answer is that the cheap 22LR polymer pistols are made to be training pistols that are geared toward the plinking market. They are designed to hit a price point and appeal to people who are looking for a cheaper shooting version of their larger caliber pistol. They are not made to be target pistols. They are made with cheap materials that yields avg accuracy and longevity in comparison to guns like a Ruger MK series gun. Read the OP and maybe you would understand the responses that seem to upset you so much. You seem very emotional about a gun you happen to own. I am not sure why.

Last edited by WVsig; September 13, 2017 at 12:36 PM.