The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 8, 2017, 11:12 AM   #76
the possum

Maybe some of you guys would prefer a Howa mini, then? I came across them on sale yesterday for only $330.
https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/5168699

The CZ action is way too small to accept AK mags. If ya doubled the weight of the receiver, it would totally kill the reason for them to exist. Then ya may as well just a full sized rifle.
Old September 8, 2017, 01:01 PM   #77
seanc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
Those will come in time I think, but the 7.62x39 is a far more popular and common cartridge than both of those combined.

Probably December for prices to go below $400. I don't think the excitement will wear down though. There are people, myself included, that think the 7.62x39 is a phenomenal cartridge and want rifles that are more accurate than an SKS or AK, but don't want to spend more than what an SKS or stamped AK costs.

With the Ruger American's track record of excellent accuracy, I think it will prove to be so popular that Ruger will come out with an AR in 7.62x39 by the end of next year or the next presidential election.
I'll bet with the x39 RAR, we'll see a lot more options in .311 bullets. Hornady already makes a .311 SST in a loaded round that can be easily box up for the reloading market, as well as their other SP rounds in .311 already available.

Comparing the x39 to 300BO, I would assume there will be more RAR's sold in x39 in short order. I don't know what the size of the 300BO market is, but the x39 market is already huge. I would think that a relatively inexpensive, accurate rifle like the RAR would boost the x39 market for reloading components, and has the potential to grow faster than what 300BO has grown. I was looking at the 300BO RAR and was thinking what a good deer rifle that could be. In x39, I would also get a cheap plinker too. I just hope the x39 will prove as accurate as the 300BO RAR rifles. Waiting on reviews to decide.

I wonder how long it'll take Mossberg to come out with their version?
Old September 8, 2017, 01:26 PM   #78
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
CZ needs to step up their game and make the CZ-527 compatible with AK mags. It's the only way.
Or VZ58 mags.
Old September 8, 2017, 02:07 PM   #79
bricz75

Quote:
Originally Posted by the possum View Post
Maybe some of you guys would prefer a Howa mini, then? I came across them on sale yesterday for only $330.
https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/5168699.

That's a lot of rifle for the money. The barrel is longer than I'd like for the caliber, though.
Old September 8, 2017, 02:14 PM   #80
the possum

Man, us gun nuts sure are a hard to please bunch, ain't we?
Old September 8, 2017, 02:23 PM   #81
Model12Win

The HOWA only takes a 5 round mag, too.

What is up with that?? They need to do that mini Enfield jungle carbine in 7.62x39mm. Make it take 10 round SKS clips!!
Old September 8, 2017, 02:31 PM   #82
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanc View Post
I'll bet with the x39 RAR, we'll see a lot more options in .311 bullets. Hornady already makes a .311 SST in a loaded round that can be easily box up for the reloading market, as well as their other SP rounds in .311 already available.

Comparing the x39 to 300BO, I would assume there will be more RAR's sold in x39 in short order. I don't know what the size of the 300BO market is, but the x39 market is already huge. I would think that a relatively inexpensive, accurate rifle like the RAR would boost the x39 market for reloading components, and has the potential to grow faster than what 300BO has grown. I was looking at the 300BO RAR and was thinking what a good deer rifle that could be. In x39, I would also get a cheap plinker too. I just hope the x39 will prove as accurate as the 300BO RAR rifles. Waiting on reviews to decide.

I wonder how long it'll take Mossberg to come out with their version?
And Savage.

As for the .311 bullets, idk. If Hornady already makes 123 grain .310-.311 bullets, I don't have a desire for anything else. It's not like I'll be blasting reloads with the American often, but when I do, I want the best bullet available.

SST's are really good.
Old September 8, 2017, 03:45 PM   #83
seanc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model12Win View Post
The HOWA only takes a 5 round mag, too.

What is up with that?? They need to do that mini Enfield jungle carbine in 7.62x39mm. Make it take 10 round SKS clips!!
Do you mean SKS stripper-clips? And that 7.62x39 jungle carbine that would take AK mags? Yes!!! --> Shut down the gun boards, we're done here
Old September 8, 2017, 04:05 PM   #84
the possum

Already been done! The Yugo SKS has a gas shut off valve, which turns it into a straight pull bolt action!
Old September 9, 2017, 12:48 AM   #85
armoredman

Hornaday makes a fine 123 gr spire point 3105 bullet that runs right down my CZ 527M bore to great effect. Also my NOE 129gr .314 cast bullets sized to .311 do just fine, powder coated. I also say that CZ might sell some 10 round mags for the 527M if they had them made, maybe even 15s, but probably not so much. The receiver isn't wide enough to take any double stack magazine, AK or vz, not unless someone made a run of AK mags that narrowed to a single stack for the last 2.5 inches. I'm doubting that will happen any time soon. I hope that someone close gets one on the shelf so I can handle it and see what it feels like.
Old September 10, 2017, 04:12 PM   #86
stolivar

read the post above, yes it is a 311 bore

steve
Old September 13, 2017, 08:45 AM   #87
Model12Win

It also has a 2 pound paperweight milled on the end of the barrel and is the longest and heaviest 7.62x39mm infantry rifle ever made, easily as heavy and long as an M1 Garand but firing a cartridge with half as much muzzle energy.

There is absolutely no comparison in how a compact action bolt gun handles and carries compared to the massive Yugo SKSs. Even a standard SKS without the grenade launching contraption just isn't as nice to carry when hunting, no way hozay.
Old September 13, 2017, 10:28 AM   #88
drobs

My hope would be they'll make a scout version with the nice gray laminate stock and iron sights.

If their target audience is the AK/7.62x39 crowd I think they missed their mark by not have iron sights.
Old September 13, 2017, 11:09 AM   #89
the possum

Quote:
It also has a 2 pound paperweight milled on the end of the barrel and is the longest and heaviest 7.62x39mm infantry rifle ever made, easily as heavy and long as an M1 Garand but firing a cartridge with half as much muzzle energy.
Dude, you're taking things way too seriously. Have fun.
Old September 15, 2017, 12:56 AM   #90
Geezerbiker

Anybody get one of these yet and can report about it first hand?

Tony
Old September 16, 2017, 08:44 PM   #91
Ibmikey

The rib disappeared when I mounted my scope so no problem there and one reason I bought the rifle was the cool looking stock....should also offer it in OD. "Different strokes for different folks"
Old September 23, 2017, 06:26 PM   #92
ratshooter

Quote:
My guess is that the wider bore makes it more "lead cast bullet friendly."
The bore size has nothing to do with lead bullet friendly. Just use a lead bullet sized for the bore and you are good to go. And sized for the bore usually means a little over bore size and some experimenting along the way.

I would have no interest in the rifle if it had an AK mag sticking out the bottom. A few 5 rounders would suit me just fine. I am glad it doesn't take the rotary mag the other RAR rifles take. Thats a big plus.

If you don't like the color then its time to try your hand at rattle can camo. What can it hurt? All I see with this rifle and the round it is chambered for is an excellent truck/ranch rifle and a darn good canoe gun. I have all the high cap guns I need. This should be a great woods gun for all those that think "woods Guns" need to be 3 foot long or shorter. This rifle has a lot of potential.
Old September 23, 2017, 07:15 PM   #93
TruthTellers

It's not that I like AK mags or think they're better quality than Mini 30 mags, it's just I don't have a Mini 30 and this rifle forces me to get more mags and if there's anything I don't like, it's having a bunch of mags for different guns.

But, it's not like there are any bolt action rifles in 7.62x39 that use AK mags, so it's kind of a mute point.
Old September 23, 2017, 08:43 PM   #94
Mannlicher

I bought a Ruger American Ranch Rifle through Bud's Gun Shop. They shipped to my LGS. Fast service. Price was $420.00. Picked the rifle up this past Tuesday. Mounted a Weaver Classic Extreme 30mm tube scope. 1.5-4.5X, illuminated German #4 reticle. Great scope.
Wednesday it was off to the range. I got the rifle on paper using Wolf 122 grain HP. Sighted in with TulAmmo 124 grain SP.
50 yard groups under an inch. 100 yard groups at 1.75 inches, and 200 yard groups just under 4 inches.
Starline tells me that they will have 7.62x39 brass the first of the year. That, and the dandy little .311 125 grain Sierra SP will shrink these groups. The rifle has no real kick, but it barks loud due to that 16 inch barrel. It's threaded, and I will eventually put a suppressor on this one.
It's short, handy, has a decent trigger, is accurate and I really like it. Using those Mini 30 magazines was a great idea. I have two 5 round, a 10 and a 20 to play with. The rifle will be used as a heavy cover deer and hog rifle here in North Florida and in Georgia.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old September 23, 2017, 09:51 PM   #95
Super Sneaky Steve

I want one now.

It's an inexpensive rifle that shoots inexpensive ammo.

If you don't like the looks I'm sure you can buy aftermarket stocks for it.

I think it's fine for a cheap working man's rifle.
Old September 23, 2017, 10:28 PM   #96
the possum

Truthtellers-
They're not easy to find, but if you truly desire a bolt action that takes AK mags, they do exist. Google the M10-A2 from Australian International Arms. They're based on the Enfield design.

I've found several obscure guns over the years by searching for them on a regular basis. You may need to be patient, but somebody will sell one eventually.

edit - I decided to look around and found one. http://www.gunbroker.com/item/699770540
Old September 23, 2017, 11:58 PM   #97
bamaranger

audience

The "audience" for the RAR x39mm rifle is not the AK crowd. It intended for those that want a handy, portable, durable carbine, not too expensive, that fires the affordable, modest x39mm cartridge, which will do near anything the old time "ranch rifle", aka M94 Win in .30-30, did. Note that few if any are complaining that the RAR in its other chamberings, (.223, .450 BM, .300BLK) are lamenting that the RAR does not take AR mags.

Why did Ruger choose the Mini30 mag? Likely because they were already making it, less expensive than hashing one out for x39mm. Ruger (heck any maker) is all about saving expense and thus improving profit. With 5-10-20 rd factory mags available, if one just has to have more than 5, there are options. I'd rather not have a big box hanging out the bottom of a tidy rifle like the RAR.

New bullet for the x39mm? Yeah, I think we could use one a tad heavier, say 135-140 grs for hunting. The discontinued Sierra 135 gr SSP (single shot pistol) slug intended for the .30 Herrett seemed near ideal in my rifles, perhaps Sierra will bring it back. I don't see the need for a boat tail, the velocity on the x39mm limits its useful range to under what a improvements to trajectory a BT offers. With quality x39mm rifles appearing, perhaps an accuracy slug....Sierra sells (or used to) a .308 /135 gr Match King and that might be really interesting from an x39. I played around with 150 gr MK's in my Mini30 but given its accuracy limitations, noticed no real improvement, just more cost. But with the RAR and the CZ, a match slug might be interesting.

Finally, I've maintained for a long time that a x39mm bolt rifle is a useful item, and took a bit of flak in the process. But with near 100 posts, seems a lot of folks are indeed interested in the combo.
Old September 24, 2017, 12:48 AM   #98
TruthTellers

Thanks for the Mannlicher.

1.75" at 100 yards isn't exactly exciting and the thing about loading for 7.62x39 is it's a lot of time to put into for a cheap cartridge.

Hornady makes a steel match 7.62x39 load and for 62 cents a round, if it gives closer to 1 inch at 100 yards instead of 2 inches... I think beats reloading.

One of the few times I'll say that. The other being 9mm.
Old September 24, 2017, 12:56 AM   #99
armoredman

Which is OK, because the beauty of diversity in firearms is everyone can get what fits and works for them, as I reload and cast for both 7.62x39mm and 9mm, and "minute of coyote" works for me and my 7.62x39mm reloads in my CZ 527M/CSR. I ring steel and hope to punch Wiley's ticket, not shooting matches, and a 129gr cast lead slug does wonders for me.
I would really like to try this Ruger, really interests me and what I might do with a good handload, just for me, of course.
Old September 24, 2017, 01:11 AM   #100
Geezerbiker

You don't have to wait for Starline brass. Graf's has PPU, Winchester and Lapua brass in stock...

Tony