The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 9, 2016, 08:08 PM   #1
P71pilot

Aliengear IWB holsters

I just recently applied for my Concealed handgun license and should be a receiving it in the mail in 2-5 weeks. Being a 22 year old roofer, I am always on a budget and decided to save some money and order a standard Aliengear IWB hybrid holster for my Walther ppq .40

I chose this holster because of its extremely low price, being made in USA, 30 day money-back gauruntee, adjustability, and lifetime warranty. Plus it is modular so I can always order a plastic shell for my 1911 and carry it instead of the PPQ.

Most of the reviews I have read have been positive, but do any of you use or have any experience with a standard leather hybrid AG IWB holster? Hopefully they will ship it soon as it has been about 9 days (7 business days) and their website said a 3-5 day lead time before shipment of holsters.

Will give a review after I receive it and try it a few days
Old February 9, 2016, 08:16 PM   #2
HistoryJunky

I have an Alien gear 2.0 for my M&P .40 and I think it's great. Maintains shape, great comfort. You should get the metal clips if you decide to go with it.

They have a deal where you can get their holster and a gun belt for 60 dollars as well if you don't have a decent belt too.
Old February 9, 2016, 08:51 PM   #3
P71pilot

"I have an Alien gear 2.0 for my M&P .40 and I think it's great. Maintains shape, great comfort. You should get the metal clips if you decide to go with it.

They have a deal where you can get their holster and a gun belt for 60 dollars as well if you don't have a decent belt too."

I have a decent leather belt right now that should hold up for a bit, and I did opt for the steel belt clips as steel>plastic. I chose the standard leather cloak tuck simply because it was the cheapest and I will probably wear an undershirt anyways so the comfort should be fine
Old February 9, 2016, 09:25 PM   #4
lee n. field

"OK for the money"
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old February 9, 2016, 09:35 PM   #5
Webleymkv

There are very few IWB holsters that I find even tolerably comfortable, but the Alien Gear is one (though still not as comfortable as a good OWB). I got the standard one for my CZ-75 and like it well enough that I bought an extra shell for my S&W 639. I'll probably buy more for some of my other guns and I'm considering upgrading to the Cloak Tuck 3. The basic plastic clips are OK, but I prefer the plastic C-clips myself as they seem to hold onto my belt more securely.
Old February 10, 2016, 03:55 AM   #6
JimmyR

I own an Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 2.0 for my CZ 75 PCR, as well as an Old Faithful leather IWB holster for a CZ 75 BD (Note: Old Faithful has since merged with Alien Gear; they operate seperately but have the same warranty, I think).

After using both of them, I have to say I think I like the Alien Gear better. The OF was bought as a kit, while the AG was bought preassembled at the same price. I cannot find the "kit" option available on OF anymore. Plus, I really think I like the neoprene better than the leather. I feel like the neoprene holds its shape better than the leather. That said, I am starting to see some wear on my Cloak Tuck neoprene base, and may look at switching to leather if this trend continues.

In short, yes, get the AG. I think the holster you get will compare favorably with any other hybrid style holster on the market. Compared to a Crossbreed or any other higher end holster, I don't think you will see a difference in quality to match the difference in price. I personally will be sticking with AG for a while, if for no other reason that the free lifetime shell swap could end up equalling several FREE holsters if you tend to sell or trade your gun.
Originally Posted by 45Gunner View Post
JimmyR nailed it.
Old February 10, 2016, 10:53 AM   #7
Brando1992

I have carried with an aliengear 2.0 with metal clips for about 6 months daily and last week I had to return it for a warranty replacement. I am replacing it with the original leather version with the plastic clips. The 2.0 has completely fallen apart on me, the thin sheet metal core has cut through the top and it turn would cut me, the attachment points I was using for the clips have almost completely fallen apart. The material was not strong enough to hold the clips up and now cut into my leg every time I sit down. The rear metal clip catches my shirt when I draw the pistol making it hard to access my firearm.

Until it completely fell apart on me I loved it... Extremely comfortable and a great company warranty. I have traded shells in on a few guns during my search for good carry gun.

I am disappointing with how quickly it fell apart but I am not giving up on them yet. I am sure the leather will be much stronger and though the plastic clips aren't as strong as the steel, I want to be able to grab my gun without my shirt snagging and I plan to eventually replace them with ulticlips.
Q:Are you using sarcasm? A: Is the Pope Catholic?
Old February 10, 2016, 11:00 AM   #8
Brando1992

I also got the OWB holster from them when I originally bought my IWB out a gun in it once... never got around to returning it and it has sat on a shelf ever since. noting terrible about it, but many much better OWB holsters available. It has poor retention, even after tightening the shell down as far as I can.

Now that I think about it I may go buy a cheap falling apart hi point or Taurus revolver that looks like crap but functions do a shell trade and have a backup end of world when zombies attack gun.
Old February 10, 2016, 01:13 PM   #9
DaleA

You have my sympathy.

Buying a holster, IMhO, is a frustrating, costly experience.

For me, it is much easier deciding on the handgun itself than the holster for it.

Good luck.
Old February 10, 2016, 01:35 PM   #10
SansSouci

P71pilot,

A holster has to do many things. Besides concealing your gun, which no holster can do with 100% certainty, it has to provide easy access of your gun to battery, retain your gun in it, and it has to protect our gun from damage.

For me, belt holsters provide better access and allow me to get my gun to battery quicker.

I have bought a lot of useless holsters.

I am not a fan of IWB holsters. Others find that they's nothing better. However, I like easy access to my gun.

I have an Askins style holster that I really like. So I've ordered three more. I ought to receive them any day. I have a Galco pancake for my P-229. As long as I'm wearing a sturdy belt, it's an excellent concealment holster. I have a Galco Combat Master for my GP-100. I know of no company that makes an Askins holster for revolvers. My Combat Master is for wilderness carry.

The point is to buy the holster that best fits your needs. From experience, don't buy a holster that's not designed for your needs and try to make it fit your needs. It won't work.

Buy a good quality, double lined leather belt of 1.5". I have a 1.5" belt and a 1.75" belt. Both are double lined. I use the larger belt for carrying my GP-100 while hiking and fishing the Eastern Sierra. However, I'm reevaluating that choice. I'm starting to lean toward a 1911 for wilderness self-defense. There's a whole lot of there there with a .45 caliber 230 grain ball bullet. I doubt that any black bear could survive 9 of them. When I'm fishing in black bear country with my kids, I have to be able to protect them, avoidance being our primary black bear defense.

Best of luck to you. I hope that your new holster suits your needs.
Old February 10, 2016, 01:36 PM   #11
SansSouci

DaleA,

I couldn't agree more. It's much easier to buy a gun than a suitable holster.
Old February 10, 2016, 04:56 PM   #12
Mr.Bro

I have 3 of the Alien Gear holsters, Cloak 2.0 IWB, Cloak 3.0 IWB and their OWB holster. I have carried the 2.0 for a while now and it is very comfortable. I just ordered the 3.0 and owb one so I don't have as much experience with them yet. Comparing the 2.0 and 3.0 side by side, the 2.0 feels softer and more comfortable, but the 3.0 seems to be more durable (has the new leather backing instead of the neoprene). I got the OWB one strictly for use when I'm on my range and it works perfect for that. Also a note from their site, if you have a semi-auto you will either get the 3.0 or original, as the 2.0 is being made for revolvers only now. Their 3.0 is well worth the price and I have no complaints.

I will mention too that I have swapped all 3 shells I have between the 3 different models of holsters and it works perfect for all of them.
Old February 13, 2016, 07:00 AM   #13
DoctorWho

??? What ???

"Brando 1992

I also got the OWB holster from them when I originally bought my IWB out a gun in it once... never got around to returning it and it has sat on a shelf ever since. noting terrible about it, but many much better OWB holsters available. It has poor retention, even after tightening the shell down as far as I can.

Now that I think about it I may go buy a cheap falling apart hi point or Taurus revolver that looks like crap but functions do a shell trade and have a backup end of world when zombies attack gun.

***********************************************************************************************

No offense intended Brando 1992, but do you speaky de Kings Engleeshy ?
I can't make any sense out of your drivel at all.

Last edited by DoctorWho; February 13, 2016 at 07:05 AM.
Old February 15, 2016, 12:03 PM   #14
Brando1992

DoctorWho:

I apologize for the incoherent statement. After reviewing what I posted I can see how it would be hard to read. I was using my phone to reply which caused many typos.

Here's a bit of a revision:

When I originally placed an order at Aliengear holsters, I took advantage of their 2 holster combo deal. I got a cloak tuck 2.0 and their OWB holster. Both for a glock 19. I have worn the 2.0 out completely in 6 months of daily wear and have sent it back to be replaced. I do not know if the 3.0 has solved the issues I had with the 2.0 so I opted for the original leather backed cloak tuck. Even though the 2.0 fell apart on me I have not written off aliengear and hope the original will work for me.

The OWB holster I received I am not a fan of. I holstered my g19 in it once and determined the retention was not sufficient for me. Even after I replaced the spacers and tightened the shell down as tight as it could go. The IWB utilizes the belt pushing the firearm against your body to aid to the retention of the gun. That is not the case with the OWB. The thicker kydex used to form the shell does not have the definition that a lighter weight kydex would have and does not grip the trigger guard as other kydex holsters do. Due to this I decided not to use this holster. It has sat on my "holsters that didn't work" shelf ever since. For a quality OWB holster I have found the leather pancake style work well and I have also enjoyed a custom kydex that was made locally.

I may even get a cheap "throw away" gun to place in a survival bag or small safe in my truck that would utilize the aliengear OWB holster. Better to have this holster and a cheap gun than not have a gun at all!

I hope that clears up my previous statements, if not then there's no hope for my eeengrish after all.
Old February 21, 2016, 09:44 AM   #15
P71pilot

Received my Aliengear IWB yesterday

I got my leather original style IWB holster from Aliengear yesterday. I must say the holster itself seems well made. The leather used is extremely thick, about double the thickness I was expecting. The kydex is nice and stiff and strong. I love that it comes with extra spacers and screws of varying sizes and a proper Allen wrench. I am a small slim person, have about a 31" waist. This holster seems a bit wide for me. Since the plastic shell is modular, it is wider than it needs to be, and doesn't fit my body very well where I want to wear it (3 o clock). However it is still fairly comfortable for carrying a 27ounce unloaded full size Walther. With my standard work T-shirt (size large) I can easily hide the gun at 3 o clock when standing still, bit when walking if I move my arms too far forward you can kind of see the grip poking out . this shirt is one of my tighter fitting shirts I wear, and I have large wide shoulders/upper body that I can get a looser shirt to drape off of more and this shouldn't be an issue. So far summer time I should be good to go with a slightly baggier shirt. Winter with extra layers will be no problem at all with printing. I have not yet received my CHL so in the mean time I will wear the holster at home and let it form to my body. There is a 30 day money back gauruntee, so if I don't like the holster within a month I can return it for a full refund. I am thinking I will keep it, buy honestly I think an all leather (non hybrid) IWB might be more comfortable for me. I do not want to pay $75+ dollars though.
Old February 21, 2016, 01:30 PM   #16
johnwilliamson062

I have found metal clips really tear up belts. I was planning to try the AG 2.0 with plastic clips for my next gun, but after reading reports here I probably won't.
I have been using Crossbreed IWB holsters for some time and they have worked great, besides the clips tearing up my belt. I may look into having the clips coated, although that will probably cost a couple decent belts.

Has anyone actually washed the neoprene holsters from AG? That is why I was considering them. Leather holsters in the Summer...

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; February 21, 2016 at 01:39 PM.
Old February 29, 2016, 07:44 PM   #17
Jeffm004

I occasionally wonder when someone at work will notice my belt and ask what I carry. I look for that tell myself.
Old March 3, 2016, 06:37 PM   #18
pwalston25

Watch the Big Tex Outdoors channel on youtube. He has some good holster reviews and is very knowledgeable about them. He shows why the alien gear isn't ideal for a few different reasons. I went with the Stealthgear onyx after trying 3 or 4 others. Wish I had bought it first. $100 but worth every penny. I wasted more money on holsters than I paid for a good one. For something that you will use every single day, not a good idea to go a cheap route. Just my opinion.
Old March 3, 2016, 07:10 PM   #19
begemot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando1992 View Post

I'm also disappointed by their OWB holster I got for my Shield. Retention isn't good but the real issue for me is that it doesn't hug the body as tightly as some and trigger coverage is a little sparse - not dangerously so but less than I like. Maybe their IWB holsters are better.
Old March 3, 2016, 10:30 PM   #20
HuntingLikeABadHabit

I carry in a IWB 2.0. Very comfortable and very concealable with a commander size 1911. Retention is good to great and so far it has held up like a champ.

I agree with other posters and recommend the c-clips and a good gun belt. Both are worthy purchases.

Give Aliengear a try and I think you be happy.
Old March 3, 2016, 11:42 PM   #21
A pause for the COZ

I have three of them and a couple extra shells. Mine are all the standard holsters. I have no complaints at all.

Old March 23, 2016, 01:13 PM   #22
Hallenbeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by P71Pilot
I got my leather original style IWB holster from Aliengear yesterday. I must say the holster itself seems well made. The leather used is extremely thick, about double the thickness I was expecting. The kydex is nice and stiff and strong. I love that it comes with extra spacers and screws of varying sizes and a proper Allen wrench. I am a small slim person, have about a 31" waist. This holster seems a bit wide for me. Since the plastic shell is modular, it is wider than it needs to be, and doesn't fit my body very well where I want to wear it (3 o clock). However it is still fairly comfortable for carrying a 27ounce unloaded full size Walther. With my standard work T-shirt (size large) I can easily hide the gun at 3 o clock when standing still, bit when walking if I move my arms too far forward you can kind of see the grip poking out . this shirt is one of my tighter fitting shirts I wear, and I have large wide shoulders/upper body that I can get a looser shirt to drape off of more and this shouldn't be an issue. So far summer time I should be good to go with a slightly baggier shirt. Winter with extra layers will be no problem at all with printing. I have not yet received my CHL so in the mean time I will wear the holster at home and let it form to my body. There is a 30 day money back gauruntee, so if I don't like the holster within a month I can return it for a full refund. I am thinking I will keep it, buy honestly I think an all leather (non hybrid) IWB might be more comfortable for me. I do not want to pay $75+ dollars though.
P71Pilot: did you end up keeping your aliengear holster?

What are you mostly using now?
Old April 26, 2016, 12:25 PM   #23
Mauser69

I have a couple Alien Gear Cloak 3.0 IWB - Probably the best $$ deal going, and I like them, but it ain't perfect. First of all, you really do not want either the metal or plastic J-hooks - they are too small for a decent 1 3/4" gun belt. Order the leather loops instead of the hooks.

This holster is extremely comfortable, but not particularly easy to use. It is large, and the neoprene material does not slide easily inside your pants, so it is very difficult to add the holster after you are already dressed. I find that I have to put the holster in place before I put my pants on, and then it is still a bit finicky to try and get the pants up and shirts all in place. But once it is done, I have all day or night comfort.
Old April 28, 2016, 10:17 PM   #24
P71pilot

Update

I basically do not carry the Walther because this aliengear holster is so uncomfortable to me at my desired location. Because of the width of the plastic shell, and my small stature/build/size, the holster is just too wide and stiff. It will not conform to by body properly. I tried wearing it for several days just sitting at home and while the leather "wings" have been forced to shape to my waist, the plastic shell just won't work for me. I have to carry my gun at 3 o clock to 3:30. Anything closer to my back just doesn't work for me. It results in a slow uncomfortable almost painful draw. I am not the most flexible person in the world.

I carry my 1911 in a cheapo (same price actually as the aliengear) blackhawk leather holster with a single belt clip. I do not like the holster in any way other than that it is very very comfortable. The clip doesn't hold onto my belt very well and the holster is too loose for my liking on my 1911, but the overall setup is extremely comfortable and the 1911 hugs my body close and disappears underneath any shirt I wear.

I really wish my 30day trial wasn't up or I would return the aliengear. I really don't see how people say it is comfortable. I guess they just aren't made for small people and 3 o clock carry. It is more comfortable the farther I position toward my spine. And also conceals better, but I cannot draw it from that location.

I am 5'6 140lbs, my hips are pretty bony with some meat and a tiny amount of fat around them, the aliengear holster feels like it smashes my hip bone, and because it will not fit my body correctly the pistol does not hug to me very well at 3 o clock or even 3:30, I find myself always adjusting and playing with it, always looking down and picking at my shirt to make sure I am not printing.

Oh well we will call it a $35 lesson
Old May 1, 2016, 12:05 AM   #25
boondocker385

I have carried for 30 years. Every few years I try an IWB with my smaller carry pieces and have yet to find one I like including a couple of Alien gear holsters. Last year I said the heck with it and just use OWB and couldn't be happier. In those 30 years I have had maybe 5 comments by people who noticed I was carrying concealed. I notice the retaining clips on IWB and know what is up and I know I am not alone.

Tags
alien , aliengear , cloak tuck , gear , iwb