The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 15, 2016, 10:36 PM   #1
Double Naught Spy

Does Hog Calling Work? - VIDEO

Over the last few years, I have bantered around the topic of hog calling with Glenn Guess. He has a YouTube channel called Hog Zombies and is a huge proponent of calling hogs. While I understood it could be done, I had come to realize that a lot of folks with grunt tubes probably were not having as much success because they really didn't speak "hog." They are making grunting noises without any idea of what the grunts mean, some of which undoubtedly are not favorable sounds. Glenn has raised hogs for years and learned to associate particular sounds with behaviors. I still can't run a grunt tube worth a darn, but I can run an electronic caller.

In speaking with Glenn and watching some of his videos online and some he hasn't released yet, it became apparent that the calls that seem to attract hogs most often involve sows and/or piglets. They are calls that will either generate interest from other hogs, or compel them to come to the rescue. The call I am primarily using in the video is one where a sow is defending piglets from a threat. These sorts of sounds apparently do a good job of calling other sows to the rescue. Glenn had suggested that sounds such as boars fighting are sounds best used as a last resort as such sounds are not apt to attract as many hogs and may actually scare them away, apparently not wanting to be involved in a fight between boars.

While we were using some calls that are not yet commercially available, they are very similar to some calls that are commercially available.

Of course, why hogs may or may not respond is partially conjecture. However, based on Glenn's experiences and what we found last night and on a couple of previous occasionas, this sort of call certainly can bring in hogs and bring them from long distance. Like calling coyotes, it won't always work. We tried calling for nearly 3 hours in a previous spot down in the bottoms and had no luck what-so-ever despite being able to hear hogs off in the distance.

I had a malfunction with a gummed-up firing pin and expressed myself in an ungentlemanly manner. That has been covered over in the video. The problem with the firing pin has been resolved.

Here is the video...
https://youtu.be/uNGCo-isAoU
Old November 16, 2016, 01:09 AM   #2
huntinaz

Awesome, love calling stuff in. Keep the videos coming big guy, they are always great.
Old November 16, 2016, 02:00 PM   #3
Mobuck

They used to do that at the State Fair until the fat women complained.
Old November 18, 2016, 01:20 PM   #4
2damnold4this

That's an interesting video. I didn't know hogs could be called.