The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 16, 2013, 07:41 PM   #1
DubC-Hicks

Best 9mm service style pistol?

What "service" style pistols do you guys like? I'm in college for law enforcement right now, and while I have some time till firearms training, I want to get ahead of the game. I'm looking for a nice full size 9mm, preferably SA/DA, but striker fired is ok. I'm wanting low recoil, accurate, and a nice trigger, so I can hopefully master all of the fundamentals. I've had a Glock 31 for a while now, but am wanting something different and cheaper to shoot.

So far I am liking the M9/92fs, Sig p226, and FNX-9 the most. What other suggestions would you guys have for me?
Old November 16, 2013, 09:15 PM   #2
sigarms228

IMHO the SIG P226 would be an outstanding choice if it works well for you. As always, if at all possible, try out what you are considering first. Just holding in the hand at the gun store and maybe dry firing does not tell that much compared to actually shooting to see the results and feel the recoil, etc.

The Beretta is a great choice also but I don't know much about the FN-X. I would add that the HK P30L is something to definitely check out and it comes in a variety of trigger configurations including DA/SA and LEM. The P30L DA/SA can also be had with or without an external frame mounted safety.

Good luck!!

This is my new P30L. I also have a couple SIG P226s.

http://pistol-training.com/archives/2668 -- P30 endurance test

Last edited by sigarms228; November 16, 2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old November 16, 2013, 09:28 PM   #3
lee n. field

Quote:
What "service" style pistols do you guys like? I'm in college for law enforcement right now,
Glock 17 or 19.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old November 16, 2013, 09:33 PM   #4
smee78

It depends on what you want it for, if for work then you will have an approved list to work from. If for fun then I would look at the S&W 5906 if you want an all SS gun that is DA/SA, if striker fire then I like my Glock 19.
Old November 16, 2013, 09:35 PM   #5
Fireman179

I had a FN FNP and I traded it on a Beretta M9. The M9 feels way better in my hand and I like the trigger better. The only reason I chose the M9 over the 92fs is I like the dot and post sight better.
Old November 16, 2013, 09:42 PM   #6
Webleymkv

If you really want to "get ahead of the game" as you say, then it seems to me that the wisest option would be a gun most similar to what you'll be training with and/or issued once you graduate. Glocks and Sigs seem to be the most popular among LE agencies so that's probably a good place to start looking.
Old November 16, 2013, 09:48 PM   #7
SpareMag

Walther PPQ should be considered. Great -for me - fit, great sights, widely regarded in Europe. Get the M1 model!
Old November 16, 2013, 09:49 PM   #8
Aguila Blanca
Staff

My vote would go to the Browning Hi-Power or the CZ-75b, but I'm old fashioned. Of those two, the CZ-75b is probably easier to find and is currently in wider use (worldwide) than the Hi-Power, but both are excellent 9mm pistols with a long rack record of service (police and military).
Old November 16, 2013, 10:17 PM   #9
luky-dude

Hard to beat a Glock 19
Old November 16, 2013, 10:54 PM   #10
jr24

If you want DA/SA my preference would be for a Sig P226 (or P229) or the CZ 75.

If you really want to get a leg up for LEO you're probably going to want a Glock as that's what seems to still be the most popular, might as well get used to it.
Old November 16, 2013, 11:07 PM   #11
Dragline45

Quote:
I'm in college for law enforcement right now, and while I have some time till firearms training, I want to get ahead of the game.
If you know what PD you are planning on joining up with find out what they carry. Chances are it's either a Glock or an M&P, although many departments still carry Sig's and Beretta's.
Old November 16, 2013, 11:23 PM   #12
Tactical Jackalope

Glock 19. I even have a buddy who carries it both on and off duty.

I carry mine all the time too.
Old November 16, 2013, 11:55 PM   #13
btmj

I have a Glock 17 and 19 and shoot both regularly. The G19 is my wintertime carry. I am a fan of Glock, but more important to my decision is that I have been shooting Glocks since 1990. I have more rounds though Glocks than any other pistol.

Based on my limited shooting of the SW MP, I would say it is the equal of the Glock, and perhaps even better. You can't go wrong with MP.

I recently got a FNH FNX-40. I have to say I am totally impressed by this firearm. If I were in charge of selecting a new service pistol for a police department, and I had to pick a DA/SA pistol, I would pick the FNX.

The FNS is a striker fired pistol, and thus it competes against Glock, SW, and Ruger SR.... A lot of competition there. It might have an edge, but just barely.

SIG P226 is a very fine gun, but price has to play a part in all of this, and I just don't think the high price is justified when compared to the FNH, Glock, and SW. Same with HK... Really nice gun, but not worth the price.

The SIG pro 2022 is really nice DA/SA pistol, and about the same price as a Glock or FNH. I have never shot one, but it is worth a look.

The Ruger SR series is under-rated in my opinion. I am not sure why we don't see more of them in police service, but it would be a fine choice.

The Beretta M9/92 is a great shooting pistol, and IMO one of the best looking semi-auto pistols of all time. They are getting pricey however.
Old November 17, 2013, 12:08 AM   #14
kinoons

For me, if I had only one handgun, I'd choose my walther PPQ.
Old November 17, 2013, 12:30 AM   #15
DubC-Hicks

I have the glock that I can get a .40 barrel for, so I'll be able to practice with that too. I'm trying to get into the Michigan State police, and they carry the P226, so that's why I'm thinking about that. The local agencies here carry an XD45, but they change almost every couple years so I'm not sure what they'll have when I get there.

I shot the M9 and P226 today. The Sig feels better in my hand, but I shot the M9 quite a bit better. I didn't get a lot of time with either though.
Old November 17, 2013, 02:19 AM   #16
ClydeFrog

Better? Cheaper?....

I don't think "better" & cheaper can be in the same sentence.

You can find decent offers on a few sources, www.jgsales.com www.gunsamerica.com www.gilbertsguns.com www.slickguns.com .

Don't forget as a sworn LE officer you qualify for "blue label" & LE discounts, .

I'd look at a SIG P226R DAK(Double Action Kesselman) or P229R DAK, a HK P30 LEM(law enforcement modification), a Beretta PX4 Storm C(constant action), a Walther PPQ, a FNH FNS.
You might find a LE trade in for now to train with. SIG Sauer has CPO models(certified pre owned) that are covered by a 1 year warranty.
The Smith & Wesson M&P line is great too. I owned a 9x19mm in 2011 that did very well.
A DA only format makes more sense for duty/LE to me. It's safe, won't jab or rub against your side(with a spurless hammer) & you avoid false complaints or claims that you cocked a DA/SA hammer(acted reckless).

3 dot night sights are worth adding. Many like the XS line or the new HD series from Trijicon.
Old November 17, 2013, 04:41 AM   #17
mumbo719

CZ 75B and or CZ P-01's are hard to beat.
Old November 17, 2013, 04:52 AM   #18
Tomac

As mentioned previously, whatever's closest to what you'll be issued.
Aside from that, the SIG P2022 is a very underrated (IMHO) DA/SA pistol that was designed for a major French police contract and should cost hundreds more than it does.
Tomac

Last edited by Tomac; November 17, 2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old November 17, 2013, 07:10 AM   #19
Pilot

Browning Hi Power, CZ-75 variant, or Beretta 92FS (M9, etc).
Old November 17, 2013, 08:48 AM   #20
rodfac

For accuracy, it's my P226 Mk25, 10 shots in less than an inch and a quarter from a 25 yd rested position. While I like a 1911's flatter grip panels, that Sig can sure shoot. It's equally accurate with the Sig .40 S&W slide/barrel assembly.

Considering both the ergonomics, and accuracy from combat distances: 3 to 15 yds, I'd vote for a Glock 17 or 19. I have considerable experience with both, and my wife's beside gun is a 19. Both are absolutely reliable, more so than any other pistol I've ever used. Fugly? Yes. But great fighting guns.

Best Regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old November 17, 2013, 09:04 AM   #21
Uncle Malice

Given your examples, and that you prefer DA/SA, I would suggest the P226 as well. The model of P226 is pretty irelevant, my only suggestion would be to get one with night sights and the SRT trigger. Those are easy enough to add to a standard 226, so it doesn't matter much.

If you were looking at striker fired, I would say the M&P 9 pro, or the Glock 17/19.
Old November 17, 2013, 09:30 AM   #22
1DrnkMxR

I agree with Uncle Malice, the P226 is a great choice for what your looking for. I prefer the Glock 17,M&P9 or the FN FNS-9, I like my trigger pull to be all the same.
Old November 17, 2013, 09:49 AM   #23
Baba Louie

Glock, S&W M&P and SIGs are what I see most LEOs carry here in southern Nevada.

Best being subjective in this regard, favorite is a better term perhaps. Approved by agency is a third reality somewhere down the road you've chosen to travel.

As I recall, Las Vegas Metro PD has a list of approved mfgs they allow officers to carry. Might see what the LEOs you're thinking of joining up with have in their holsters.

I personally love the old timey BHP, aka GP35. Probably not a good choice for a LEO nowadays, but whaddaIknow?
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old November 17, 2013, 02:24 PM   #24
DubC-Hicks

I know it'd be a good idea to get what the department I'm going for has, but I'm not quite sure which one I'll be in. Everyone around here carries different things, too. My hometown and county have XD45s, State police carry the P226, neighboring towns have USP45, XDms, 92FS, so there is a huge variety to choose from. Surprisingly, no Glocks or M&Ps.

I think I've narrowed it down to the P226 and M9. Is the Sig worth the extra few hundred? That would buy a lot of practice ammo for the Beretta.
Old November 17, 2013, 02:28 PM   #25
Uncle Malice

Quote:
My hometown and county have XD45s, State police carry the P226, neighboring towns have USP45, XDms, 92FS, so there is a huge variety to choose from. Surprisingly, no Glocks or M&Ps.
Are these actually issued guns? The reason I ask is because many departments allow officers to choose their duty gun from a list of auhtorized guns - this list may be only a couple, or a generalized spec. For example, my home town has a standard issue Glock 22, but an officer can forgo the issue weapon and recieve a credit towards a gun of their choice. That department will approve just about anything as long as it's a .40s&w. Many of the officers are carrying M&P.

Anyways, I was just curious if you know for sure that these departments are actually issuing XD and XDM pistols? I have not heard of a single deparment officially issuing them. It would be cool to see that there are indeed some departments putting them out on contract.