The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 2, 2012, 08:38 PM   #26
Walt Sherrill

Sounds like you've run into some "irregular" ammo. Much of the CHEAP stuff is cheap because it isn't made to the same exacting standards as the more costly stuff. Irregularities happen.

Rounds that stick in a mag are often rounds that are too long. If they stick with rounds above them, the mag won't feed, and the ones above fall out if the gun is turned over...

I had a S&W 52-2 some years back, and it would shoot only wadcutters that were exactly the right length. Otherwise, I'd get the kind of problems you described in the original comments.

Find a good economy brand (I like Sellier & Bellot, Blazer, and Georgia Arm's stuff) and use it for the range, using the premium stuff for carry. But you seem to have already come to that conclusion.
Old October 2, 2012, 10:51 PM   #27
pturner67

hey Walt, it was G.A. ammo that was mucking things up...true, though, I wasn't using G.A. 115 gr plinking ammo

I've moved to some other stuff (HD and 115 gr range) and the CZ functions perfectly, even with Tula 115 gr...as stated, it was probably OAL of the G.A. +P ammo I was shooting

thanks again everyone
Old October 3, 2012, 10:29 AM   #28
myshoulderissore

Went out again last night, and I must say... The rubber tips *may* cause issue in the magazine. I haven't had issues while shooting, but manually unloading a mag with CD in it, the follower stopped a couple times, and I had to smack the mag to release it, due to the rounds tilting just a bit and the tip making contact.

In firing I haven't had any issues, but I think I am going to switch, just because of Murphy.
Old October 6, 2012, 07:46 PM   #29
SteelChickenShooter

Test report

So far, after a good number of days, two different brands of premium 115g personal defense ammo have not bound up in the Glock + CZ magazines. They will feed and cycle just fine. Unlike a mixed bag of lower cost ammo that will get bound in those mags.
There may be some merit to spending more for premium. The other ammo I was talking about in previous posts would be stuck in the magazines by now.
Old October 7, 2012, 04:02 AM   #30
MLeake

IIRC, one of the services offered by the CZ Custom shop is throating the chamber for reliable 147 grain feed. I could be wrong, but thought I had seen a gun from CZ Custom that had that done to it.

My SP01 does not like 147s. It runs just fine with 115 and 124, in all of its magazines.

My P01 has no trouble with them, except with some of the SP01 magazines. The other SP01 magazines will feed 147s in the P01.
Old November 4, 2012, 03:11 PM   #31
SteelChickenShooter

I raise this thread due to new info. After some time with the CZ magazines loaded and idle (with good quality ammo) I do not see the jamming of the rounds and failure for the rounds to rise to the top of the mag. But I think I do see weakness. I am starting to question the strength of the the original CZ magazine springs. Therefore I would ask those that have gone before me about what they saw and when did they decide it was time to replace or change brands of magazine springs? Wolff comes to mind. Apart from the couple magazines that I have been using, I also do have new, unopened packs of CZ-USA, Kansas City, KS, USA MAG CZ75 COMPACT 9MM 14RD magazines. My thinking is that perhaps if there are others out there that suggest weak CZ springs, I would proceed with replacing them. This would constitute a major blemish for me since I have always touted my CZ P-01 as one superior auto handgun. If spring strength is a weakness, it was just not apparent to me early on.
Old November 4, 2012, 04:50 PM   #32
Walt Sherrill

CZ has an undeserved reputation for weak springs. In the case of extractor springs, however, it may be a valid complaint with some of the older guns, and CZ has since gone to stronger springs.

About 8-9 years ago, CZ also had a large batch of bad trigger springs. Except for that, the claims about bad springs are generally unwarranted.

Leaving hi-cap magazines fully loaded over long periods can eventually lead to spring deterioration for most guns, but it'll take a while. (The CZ P-01 mags would be classified as hi-cap mags...)

If your gun shoots well (feeds) with the existing springs, just download the mags a round or two when storing loaded mags, and keep the springs you have. If there are feeding problems, get replacement springs from Wolff. Shooting the gun periodically is the best proof of functionality.

(Anyone wanting to dispute the claim about hi-cap or compact mag springs deteriorating when compressed during long-term storage, do a search here on the TFL and you'll find all the info you need. I can post a brief summary if anyone is interested.)
Old November 4, 2012, 06:27 PM   #33
pturner67

yeah, might be good advice...I've been keeping 15 rounds in the mags instead of 17+

haven't had any issues since...but, I also haven't used the GA Arms +P ammo since either...since the mags are still fairly new, my guess is it was the OAL of the 147 gr +P from GA Arms
Old November 5, 2012, 08:55 AM   #34
noorked

Several CZ gunsmiths offer throating services on the barrel to accommodate 147grn.
Old November 5, 2012, 09:17 AM   #35
pturner67

Thanks noorked, I appreciate the heads up. I'm gonna keep it (for the most part) factory. I may look at having someone polish the trigger later. The gun is pretty much flawless as it is from the factory. I have fired 147 grain from it just fine. So far, the GA Arms 147 +P is the only one it doesn't like.
Old November 5, 2012, 09:39 AM   #36
noorked

I've had good luck with their .40 & .357sig offerings. I usually only run 124 or NATO in my "euro' 9mm pistols. When available I prefer the S&B. Next time I venture to the range , Ill try some 147 in the tactical. I've been kicking around the idea of putting a competition hammer in mine.Cant get around to it, its great as is.