The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 3, 2012, 10:32 PM   #1
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Butler Creek free stuff.

Just curious? I came in possession of some free stuff today. My neighbor who has long since given up the sport. He and I were trading experiences and reminiscing about hunting seasons long ago while playing some two handed cribbage on his kitchen table this afternoon. "As usual, I had a Great time with the 'Ol Timer." Just before I left to go home He gave me a half dozen packages of Butler Creek {Plastic Patch} for Rd. Ball useage. "The things look like a double sided plastic shot cup to me?" A couple of packages fit my 45 cal and the other four are to be used in a 54 cal. Has anyone had any experience with this Butler Creek product? Any info would be appreciated.

Last edited by Sure Shot Mc Gee; March 4, 2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old March 3, 2012, 11:46 PM   #2
arcticap

I've seen the .50's being fired with round balls. They were made for convenience as a replacement for patches but IMHO opinion they don't shoot as well as a properly patched round ball does.
After firing some of them I would check to see if they leave any plastic residue in the bore.
Also, make sure that they stay seated on top of the powder because I don't know how tight they fit in the bore.
They were discontinued a long time ago, and I've never heard that they were a very popular product.

Last edited by arcticap; March 3, 2012 at 11:52 PM.
Old March 4, 2012, 11:34 AM   #3
Pahoo

RB-Sabots, common but not very popular !!

I refer to these as Round Ball Sabots. I have shot these and still have some 50's. I recently gave a package of .54's to a buddy of mine. Just like other sabots, they are color coded. They do present some advantages but have lost interest, understandably. What I have found is that in a fast twist, you can drive them a little harder that with a patch. They do not leave anymore plastic residue, than any other sabot. ....

Personally and I could be short changing these but to me, they are not as serviceable than a patch. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old March 5, 2012, 11:38 AM   #4
Sure Shot Mc Gee

What I have found is that in a fast twist, you can drive them a little harder that wi

Pahoo: Just thinking about what you said (above) It never dawned on me that you could use these Plastic Patch things in a fast-twist barrel with a >Ball!! of all things? Wow!! Hey Thanks Pahoo. I do have a G/M 1-28 for my 45 Hawken and have to date only shot (my preferred brand) R&P Muzzleloading Dead Center sabot bullets out of it. My knowing of being able to shoot round ball with the aid of these Plastic Patchs from that Green Mtn quick-twister. Will offer me a whole new fun time of "Cap'in & a Blast'in"
Old March 5, 2012, 12:17 PM   #5
Pahoo

They do provide better sealing

Sure Shot,
Outside of you and I, I'm not aware of anyone else who even has these anymore, let alone, use them. I know they were current, not to long ago but sure if you can still find them. I have shot them but most of the time, I'd rather use the patches. As I said, I still have some as well as given some away and will have to dig them up and see how the packages read. ...

A reported common problem is there use with pure lead balls as they would come loose. Hard balls were suppose to be used with these. I never encountered that problem but some had and reported that they were not safe. The combination is suppose to provide increased accuracy. ...

Here is what we are talking about; ...
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=730268

Might add that the ball cup is a perfect fit on the ball. ....

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; March 5, 2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old March 5, 2012, 12:27 PM   #6
Beagle333

Round ball sabot

This sounds like what you are describing,
Midway has these:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/730...abot-box-of-20
Old March 5, 2012, 01:13 PM   #7
arcticap

The Butler Creek Poly Patch isn't the same as a Hornady Hardball sabot.
The Poly Patch is just a plastic base that doesn't fully encase the ball.
I think that they were made about 15 - 20 years ago.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg acff3ff.jpg (64.7 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg acff3fe.jpg (76.7 KB, 92 views)

Last edited by arcticap; March 5, 2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old March 5, 2012, 04:13 PM   #8
Pahoo

Interesting

arcticap
I now see the difference and the ones I have, are the Butler Creeks. I just couldn't locate them to show the folks what they look like. Thanks for the picture and there is a difference. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old March 5, 2012, 05:01 PM   #9
Sure Shot Mc Gee

arcticap: You sir are correct!! There are no plastic petals holding the ball somewhat stationary as seen in Midways add. I also stand corrected. In my description Thread I called this product "Plastic Patch" which is incorrect. The products correct name is >Poly patch. If one were to fire this combination with a 10 undersize ball (example 45 bore w/440 ball) I can realize a 440 ball may be somewhat loose in its bore and subject to problems as it sits on a simple platform.--But since I shoot 445 rd ball? Doing so just may reduce that problem of >bore looseness? Oh yes!! you can bet I'll be extra careful when I try a couple of these things out. As I have no need for another G/Mtn barrel if I can help it because of stupidity on my part. If anything? I may have my neighbor post them on EBay Give you guys a chance at playing with them. and give the money to the 'Ol timer
Old March 6, 2012, 12:14 AM   #10
arcticap

I'm pretty sure that I still have a bunch of .36 Poly Patches that I bought at a gun show and just never used them. Butler Creek got a lot of folks to buy their Poly Patches but the Hornady Hardballs, not so much!