The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 1, 2012, 03:39 PM   #1
Pond, James Pond

Eureka!! A stockist!!!

Well, after asking around a fair bit, I've found a stockist of reloading paraphernalia.

So, what I need from TFL's denizens is an idea of whether or not this gear is any good... The problem is I have little choice: this may be the only models I can get, so hopefully the concensus is that it will do!!

OK, here goes:

Powder Measurers-
Lee:
Pro Auto disk

Hornady:
Power measure,
Autocharge

Presses-
LEE:
Classic turret
Classic Press

Hornady:
Lock and Load

I think some saving is in order!!
Old March 1, 2012, 06:26 PM   #2
Mal H
Staff

What's a "stockist"?
Old March 1, 2012, 07:16 PM   #3
GTOne

I have no idea.

I do know the Lee classic turret topped with a pro auto disk is a great set-up(get the safety prime kit for it too).

The LnL is also good but cost quite a bit more, but if you are really shooting a lot(A couple thousand rounds a month or more) it might be for you.
Old March 1, 2012, 08:02 PM   #4
ScottRiqui

A "stockest" is just retail (or wholesale) store that carries a particular item. PJP had been having trouble finding anybody local to him that carried reloading stuff.

I'll second the recommendation of the Lee Classic Turret topped with the Pro Auto Disk setup - it's what I use myself. The Hornady LnL is probably the way I'd go if I wanted a progressive press, but I'm not shooting enough that I can't keep myself stocked using the LCT.
Old March 2, 2012, 02:22 AM   #5
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
What's a "stockist"?
Someone who stocks....

stock·ist (stkst)
n. Chiefly British
A commercial retailer or wholesaler that stocks merchandise

stockist [ˈstɒkɪst]
n
(Business / Commerce) Commerce Brit a dealer who undertakes to maintain stocks of a specified product at or above a certain minimum in return for favourable buying terms granted by the manufacturer of the product

Quote:
PJP had been having trouble finding anybody local to him that carried reloading stuff.
Exactly.

I found a gun shop that sold powder "vihtavuori"(?), cases, primers and bullets, so reloading does happen here. I asked where I might find the gear to reload they found me an online store in this country, and the goods I listed in the OP are what they offer...

Thanks for the last two suggestions: I'll look at them in detail!
Old March 2, 2012, 04:06 AM   #6
NWPilgrim

May depend on what you plan to reload. I use the Classic Turret press, RCBS and Lee dies (some Hornady). The Autodisk is fine for handgun loading but tops out around 40 gr (IIRC) with rifle powder, and that is using the Disk Doubler kit. I use it for handgun, .30 Carbine and sometimes for .223. For most rifle loading I use an RCBS Uniflow or Lee Perfect measure on its own stand.

Both brands are excellent so I don't think you will go wrong either way.

If you are just doing handgun or small rifle cartridges then the Classic Turret and Pro Auto Disk measure is a great combo. If you plan to load larger rifle cases (such as the .308 family and bigger) then it might make sense to get the Hornady measure instead of the Auto Disk.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old March 2, 2012, 07:19 AM   #7
bossman

Over here in the states, Lee comes in at about 1/3 the price of Hornady. Lee's press and products are well worth the savings.

Single stage press- Lee Breech lock press.

Turret press- Lee 4 hole Classic turret not the deluxe.

Dies- Lee 4 piece die sets.

Powder measure- Lee Pro Auto Disk.

Scale- This is where Lee's a little weak, scale is workable but is hard to set and hard to read. Buy a nice balance beam scale that is readable.

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.