The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 19, 2012, 10:54 PM   #1
bqglock

Why o' Why?

Why do you Carry the semi-auto that you do for your EDC? was it caliber or weight or was it an ego thing? I personaly carry a Glock 32 in .357 sig a good gun, an excellent round, and also doubles as a home defense gun.
Old January 19, 2012, 11:02 PM   #2
Cheapshooter

Elsie Pea pocket carry in a DeSantis Superfly for Summer carry. Size, weight, and concealability in Summer clothing.
Springfield XD40 Subcompact for cooler weather. Heavier caliber for heavily clothed assailant, but still concealable with IWB holster, and winter clothes.
Something like the LC9, or Beretta Nano has gotten my interest for "in-between" weather conditions.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 19, 2012, 11:33 PM   #3
dev_null

Kimber full sized 1911 in .45ACP. I don't mind the size and weight, it's been 100% reliable, and aside from my SAA's is one of my most accurate pistols.

Sometimes switch it out with a S&W 1006 (10 mm). You want stopping power, we got stopping power.

I have also carried a SIG P-232 at times, but I'm not that confident in .380 as a round, nor am I as accurate with it as my Kimber.
Old January 19, 2012, 11:52 PM   #4
wyohusker

Kahr CW45. Size(flatness) and weight is awesome. It fits my body style. I am 5' 8" 180 pounds. Work out a lot and don't have much a lot of body fat to hide anything. Great gun and yes its my bedside gun also. 1911 back up in the drawer also.
Old January 20, 2012, 12:03 AM   #5
bigghoss

glock 26. hides easily and has good capacity. though with the rash of homicides the last few months I've gone back to carrying my glock 17 to improve my odds should the need arise.
Old January 20, 2012, 12:46 AM   #6
Jammer Six

Don't know what "EDC" is, sorry.
Old January 20, 2012, 12:47 AM   #7
TheGoldenState

Every Day Carry.
Old January 20, 2012, 12:54 AM   #8
irish52084

CZ SP-01, 9mm. It's my full size carry 19+1 capacity and it fits my hands well. I carry it when OC or when a jacket is worn all day.

CZ 82, 9x18 mak. It's my smallest carry gun, in size and power, but it's a great shooter and conceals very easy in a t-shirt and shorts.

Used to have an XD 4" in 357sig and loved it, but sadly it got sold a few days ago. I'm gonna regret selling it, but it had to be done. I'll get the money back in a few weeks, plus a few more dollars, and I'll buy it's replacement.
Old January 20, 2012, 01:03 AM   #9
TheNocturnus

Glock 22 and now a BUG (back up gun), a Ruger LCP.

I like the full size service pistol (G22) as my primary for reliabilty, capacity and ergonomics. The LCP I got as a BUG for when I am seated in the car and for when I need deep concealment and the Glock 22 is too big.
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old January 20, 2012, 01:14 AM   #10
Jammer Six

Ah, thank you.
Old January 20, 2012, 01:44 AM   #11
AndyWest

Also elsie pea JHP with a DeSantis Nemesis. Easy to toss in the pocket. IMO carrys are for scaring a bad guy and bugging out. That said I could use a bigger winter carry tho I haven't done my homework.
Old January 20, 2012, 01:56 AM   #12
chris in va

CZ 97b. No I'm not kidding.
Old January 20, 2012, 04:37 AM   #13
3kgt2nv

colt rail gun in 45 acp. proven performance from a proven company. weight is not an issue for me and after a few days of wearing a full size gun you dont even notice.

I only carry one gun. if you need a back up buy a better main carry gun.
Old January 20, 2012, 05:30 AM   #14
Rugerismisticness

Wow I'm suprised at the wieghts I'm seeing. When I start seriously CCing, I'm going to make an effort towards the SR9c. I have a P345 that carries well as well as a sigma if I need to go lighter with more capacity. I can't swing a 1911 for carry, mine are just too heavy.
Old January 20, 2012, 06:23 AM   #15
tahunua001

I have a SR9C and an XDM45C for my CCW both in crossbreed supertucks.

-I feel comfortable with both for people.
-I carry the XDM for the extra stopping power(just in case I run into that inevitable 350 pound body building crackhead that everyone raves about) .
-I carry the SR9 for easier concealment in those iffy attire days.
-I can carry both in the woods for black bear but on the off chance that I run into one of north idaho's 3 or 4 grizzlies I normally pack the 45.
-the SR9 only carries one more round than the XDM so they are about equal in that regard.
-I am more accurate with the XDM than with the SR9 but that is all the shooters fault and not the gun.

the reason I chose both of these guns is because they have yet to let me down, I'm more accurate with them than any other compacts I've tried and both have established solid reputations from release date to present for being outstanding firearms.
Old January 20, 2012, 07:01 AM   #16
Tightwad

Sigma SW9VE. it goes bang ever time, I shoot it well, Its easy to conceal (for me), relatively light and has a high capacity.
Old January 20, 2012, 07:38 AM   #17
Qtiphky

Walther PPK/s in 380. A little heavier than most small guns, but steel is steel and this gun fits my hand perfectly. In a Bianchi 100 IWB (in the waist band) holster carried at the 5 o'clock position. Hides very well in the small of my back and I can still tuck my shirt in, yet with how accurate I am with this gun I don't feel undergunned. When I go to the big city or travel, I carry a Beretta 92FS Compact in 9mm in a Crossbreed Supertuck. Soooo comfortable even though it weighs much more than my Walther, but I am usually able to leave my shirt untucked and hide it.

When in the woods, I usually go bigger because I am no longer concealed, but open carrying. Sig P229 in either 40 or 357 Sig, a 1911 in 45 ACP, a 1911 in 10mm or a Smith 66-1 in 357 Magnum. I go with bigger punch when outdoors due to the increased distance and uncertainty of what I may need to deal with. Not just two legged critters, but four legged as well.
Old January 20, 2012, 08:02 AM   #18
bossman

For me weight is the issue for EDC. I have some great steel guns but I just can't lug them around all day. Glock 36 45 acp for me, nice size and weight for the 45 acp. 6+1 with the extra mag I feel safe as I can and has two more rounds over my pocket carry J frame.

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.
Old January 20, 2012, 08:07 AM   #19
Aaron1100us

I carry my G22 because I've had it ten years prior to getting my permit. I also carry a G33 because I wanted a subcompact Glock in 357 SIG.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk
Old January 20, 2012, 08:12 AM   #20
TBT

I carry an M&P9 full size. Chose it because it met all my specifications (4” barrel, accurate, low bore axis, and completely reliable) and was comfortable to shoot. I have little to no interest in anything with a shorter barrel than 4” because I think you give up a lot and gain absolutely nothing outside of pocket carry (which I also believe to be more uncomfortable than belt carry). I’ve never once had an issue concealing a duty size firearm. Caliber played no part in my decision. Make mine 9, 40, 45, whatever. They all seem to be fine hole-punchers.
Old January 20, 2012, 08:13 AM   #21
Chilli9880

For me, S&W M&P 40c. Perfect blend of power, concealability, weight, capacity, accuracy and looks. Probably the best line of guns out there today.
Old January 20, 2012, 08:18 AM   #22
Dashunde

Quote:
Why do you Carry the semi-auto that you do for your EDC?
LCP - Reliable, light weight, inexpensive, good quality for its price.
Fits my hand well and I shoot it decently enough without the sights.
Very thin and completely vanishes iwb in a pair of ordinary shorts and t-shirt.

PM9 - All of the same reasons above except inexpensive.
Excellent trigger, really is a good shooter, fun and accurate plinker at the range.
Really great 9mm carry weapon, hard to beat at any price.
More power than the LCP, doesnt feel much bigger (its not), mostly heavier.
Easy to conceal and carry with only jeans and a t-shirt.

Glock 27 - My all-purpose worst-part-of-town pistol.
It feels thick and heavy compared to the PM9 and LCP, but still very concealable.
Always carried nearby in my work bag, occasionally clipped on if the area dictates.
Not much fun to carry if you ask me, but it gives a great sense of capability and security.
Doubles as my nightstand gun, even though there are .45's around.

Last edited by Dashunde; January 20, 2012 at 08:25 AM.
Old January 20, 2012, 10:26 AM   #23
KyJim

In cool weather, I carry 4.25 inch 1911s in .45 acp, either CCO size (one less round) or a bobtail. I have steel and aluminum framed versions. I like the 1911 platform and I like the .45 acp caliber as a good combination of power/controlability. When I want to go light/small it's a Kahr CM9. Pretty good trigger and sights for that type of gun.
Old January 20, 2012, 10:31 AM   #24
RedBowTies88

P-64 9x18

Dead reliable, Plenty of punch, Cheap enough to not worry about, Very very slim, Heavy enough to know its a real gun and light enough to forget about. Also the most accurate handgun I own.

Will put all 7 shots into a 5" circle at 25yards My model 36 could never dream of that. at least not with me on the trigger.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P-641.jpg (14.5 KB, 32 views)
Old January 20, 2012, 10:34 AM   #25
JNad

CZ P07 in 9mm - weight is not an issue with this gun, but a good holster helps (rgrizzleleather.com). I shoot this one too well NOT to carry it. I am saving for some night sights. My rule of thumb is not to leave the house with less than 10 rounds, so I don't need a spare mag with this one (16+1, and yes I manage to get all 16 in it). Mostly my cool weather piece, but conceals well in the summer too. (Cool weather, because the grip can be a bit of a cheese grater against bare skin). I have about 400 rounds through it and ZERO failures.

Ruger SP101 in .357, 2.25in barrel (and I actually carry it with .357s) - Plenty of fire power, conceals EXTREMELY well. (this is where my above ten round rule came from - 5 in it and 5 spares in a quick strip). This gun has a little heft, but again with a good holster, it carries pretty easily. Believe it or not, with all the weight this one has less muzzle flip than the CZ and I am quicker to the second shot with it. Meprolight front sight. It's a revolver - reliability is not an issue - ever (I've lost count on the rounds).

Trust my family's lives with both of them anyday.