The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old January 20, 2009, 12:34 AM   #1
vranasaurus

Getting into competitive shooting?

I just recently got the urge to look into competitive shooting. I am really interested in service rifle.

Does anyone have any book or other source that would be good for information about getting into this kind of shooting.

I am interested in learning about how matches are run, equipment(ie the stuff you need and why), and how to get started.

I am really looking for the basics.
Old January 20, 2009, 02:52 AM   #2
Casimer

www.nationalmatch.us

this book is a little dated, but it's comprehensive - http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Highpow.../dp/1931220050
Old January 20, 2009, 05:27 AM   #3
darkgael

info

Here's link to info at the NRA website, http://www.nrahq.org/compete/highpower.asp.
Pete
Old January 20, 2009, 01:16 PM   #4
oldkim

For service rifle shooting your best option would be to look at CMP - Civilian Marskmanship Program.

You can get some M1A1 too.

http://www.odcmp.com/

Check out my new website: www.shootonthemove.org
Old January 20, 2009, 02:25 PM   #5
kraigwy

You cant beat the Service Rifle Guide put out by the USAMU, and sold through CMP for $6.95.

I recommend it to all those who partate in my Service Rifle Clinics.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 20, 2009, 02:26 PM   #6
vranasaurus

Thank you for the replies.

Seems to be a lot of information.
Old January 22, 2009, 06:04 AM   #7
roach4047

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Competitive-...09119001r19059

Lot's a valuable info listed in here. The author has several other books available as well.

Roach
Old January 22, 2009, 06:31 AM   #8
darkgael

Book

+1 about the Zediker book - "The Competitive AR-15". The info about shooting and reloading from Derrick Martin alone is worth the cost of the book.
Pete
Old January 23, 2009, 06:42 PM   #9
vranasaurus

I am located in Louisville, KY.
Old January 23, 2009, 11:01 PM   #10
P-990

In addition to reading, find out if any of your local clubs have clinics. This is one of the best ways to learn the ropes, IMO.

My local club has new shooter clinics every year (usually scheduled for the first cool and rainy Saturday we can find! ), where we teach the fundamentals of the rifles, the shooting positions and how a match is run. Normally we have some kind of match on Sunday after; I think we have also run a "mini-match" the afternoon of the clinic as well.

The Zediker book is also worth it for its content, as is the USAMU guide. And finding a coach or fellow shooter who can show you the pointers is also helpful. Find somebody who is Master or High Master classified and you'll be able to learn alot.

And remember to have fun!
Old January 25, 2009, 04:57 PM   #11
vranasaurus

As for a rifle, is there that much difference between a 1:8 and 1:7 twist in an AR?

I was planning on using a complete RRA NM A4 upper with a 1:8 barrel. Would this be alright to start with? I know if I shoot it enough I will have to replace the barrel and could then switch out for a 1:7.

Or would it be better to put together an upper with a 1:7 barrel from the get go?
Old January 25, 2009, 06:27 PM   #12
Casimer

The RRA NM A2 or A4 is a good choice.

I don't think that you'll see much difference between a 1:7 v 1:8 for the bullet weights typically used in HP XTC matches.
Old January 26, 2009, 10:11 AM   #13
vranasaurus

Quote:
Of course you picked the one place I don't know anyone from. lol

My advice is get to some of the bigger matches and just be a sponge around the Highmaster guys. most are very helpful. They've been around a long time and they know what works.

I can promise you this. Highpower is not an equipment battle. Maxing a Visa on the latest wigit won't make you win. Get a rifle that'll hold a rock solid minute of angle and when your X ring count gets to a solid 25-30% average trade it in for one that'll shoot sub half minute. You'll see a slight increase in score and your X ring count will jump also. this'll be around the time you start to consistently hold 10 ring elevation back at the 600.

If you get good, don't be afraid to tell yourself that you can win. The best shooters are the ones that have overcome the headgame that rages within themselves.

Spend your money on bullets and gas first.

wish you the best.

Chad
I appreciate the advice. That is why I think I will stick with the plan of the RRA upper. It should make for a fine entry level service rifle..

I think the Kentucky State Rifle and Pistol Association has matches at Ft. Knox so I will look into that and eventually branch out into some larger matches.