The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 16, 2008, 07:15 AM   #26
impactco

The CCIs work fine in my RCBS RC press and RCBS bench priming tool. It would appear that the LNL AP is just finicky about primers. Maybe if I paint the press blue or green, it will change it's attitude.
Old August 16, 2008, 11:31 AM   #27
lll Otto lll

It would be interesting to see if you have the same problem with Winchester or Remington primers. And you haven't checked the large primer seating yet, right?
Old August 16, 2008, 03:07 PM   #28
DEDON45

That little mark / dent under the primer punch on the frame is normal; mine seats Winchester, Magtech, and CCI Magnum LP primers fine... I have heard of various lots of CCI primers having dimensional differences sometimes... by all means, try some other primers.
Old September 1, 2008, 02:20 PM   #29
pinoykillaz

impactco you got me scared hehe im reading all review pf this hornady machine coz im about to buy one..im glad it was positive feed at the end...ill go ahead and buy ap today..thnx again guys
Old September 1, 2008, 04:57 PM   #30
impactco

It does work adequately with Winchester and Remington primers. They don't seat as deeply as they do with my RCBS bench priming tool but they are good enough.
Old September 1, 2008, 06:38 PM   #31
wpcexpert

impactco...

You serious about selling the primers? CCI is about all I use. I'm running the LNL also.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old September 1, 2008, 07:02 PM   #32
zxcvbob

I have to really lean on the handle to seat Remington 1.5 primers in anything except RP brass. And they just flat out won't seat in S&B brass. Unfortunately, I bought a boatload of Rem 1.5's a year ago. Glad I figured out I can use them in RP brass.

No problem with Remington large pistol primers, or any other brand of small primers unless the shell plate gets loose.

BTW, do y'all switch out the primer seater when changing from small to large primers, or just leave the small punch installed and use it for both?
Old September 2, 2008, 05:32 PM   #33
Humdinger

This ought to make you feel better

I read your original post and can tell you that I had the same experience with the same .223 LC brass and CCI primers. I am using a Lee Classic Turret Press and can tell you for sure that I have the exact same problem. That combination of brass and primer is the problem, not your press. Try some different .223 brass other than military, and the problem should be nonexistent.
Old September 2, 2008, 06:00 PM   #34
impactco

Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a try.