The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 15, 2008, 02:36 PM   #1
szym9341

Birdseye & Curly Maple Blanks - Exotic Wood

We process and sell rough cut Birdseye and Curly Maple. Is there a need for a source online to buy precut blanks of Birdseye or Curly Maple? If so, are there any common sizes that you would be interested in?? We are located at: www.bellforestproducts.com. Thanks.

Adam
Bell Forest Products
Old May 15, 2008, 07:01 PM   #2
fisherman66

There's always a need for competition in the rifle stock market from the viewpoint of the consumer. I purchased a slab from one on-line store and ended up with a severely checked and honeycombed mess. It's a really large piece, and I may be able to save it, but I'm in no hurry to cut into it after discovering how bad it is.

I'm most interested in full length Mannlicher style blanks. Total length would be about 44"x6"x3.5". You could trim it so the tip is thinner. A 44"x9"x3.5" could be made into 2 separate stocks. Same thing for the more traditional forearms, just shorter OAL.

What would a maple burl or birds eye run for the above mentioned dimensions? I'm also interested in fine figured walnut, but I'm not in a hurry as I have too many irons in the fire right now.
Old May 15, 2008, 07:57 PM   #3
fisherman66

Screwbean Mesquite would also be nice. Rootwood is always preferred if available.
Old May 15, 2008, 08:16 PM   #4
tplumeri

I would be interested in 2"x1/2"x9" (or 10") blanks in different woods.
that size blank would make two 1911 grips.
3"x3/4"x8" would make two cowbor revolver grips.
what woods could you supply in those dimensions?
thanks
tom
Old May 15, 2008, 09:21 PM   #5
mikenbarb

tplumeri, I have a nice piece of burled or figured Black Walnut if your interested. I also have some different sizes in the same if anyone is interested. I think the max thickness I have is 2" but can be cut to any dimension you please. It is air dried @ 1yr. per in. of thickness with any checking removed. The amount I have is very limited due to dry time but have some nice cherry also.
Old May 15, 2008, 11:18 PM   #6
tplumeri

Il take the black walnut blank.
ill send you a email to arrange payment
thanks!
tom
Old May 15, 2008, 11:54 PM   #7
Yithian

There are three different stock types you may choose to keep sizes for.

One is the standard length American sporting rifle.

Another is lengths good for "assault" rifles. aka, buttstock, pistolgrip, and forestock.

The last I can think of would be the mannlicher length. It would be good for replacements for historical weapons (SKS's, Mauser's, Enfield's, etc) as well as true Mannlicher rifles.
Old May 16, 2008, 07:29 AM   #8
szym9341

Thanks for all the feedback! I am gathering sizes and talking with the guys here to determine how best to offer different sizes. Right now, most of our species are in our warehouse as rough-sawn lumber and can be cut down. We specialize in Birdseye and Curly Maple, lumber comes out of our dehydration kilns regularly, and we often custom cut larger sizes.

As I gather desired sizes I will be putting together a recommendation to our "team"... really only four of us. In the mean time, the best way to inquire about availability or prices is to contact Eric at [email protected] or call him at our toll-free number (877) 770-9663.

I am keeping a running list of sizes and their uses, please feel free to offer more sizes that work best for you, and if possible, the most favored species.

Thanks again! - Adam.
Old May 31, 2008, 08:54 AM   #9
orionengnr

email sent--subscribing and looking forward to working with you.
Old June 21, 2008, 01:38 AM   #10
Mastiff

I have a ton of Honduran Rosewood blanks. They are not big enough for a stock, but they can be used for caps and such. I'd be willing to trade some to you for a decent rifle sized blank if you are interested. If this is the wrong place to post this, please accept my apologies.

What are the facts? Again and again and again—what are the facts? —what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts! -Robert A Heinlein
Old June 21, 2008, 11:08 AM   #11
johnwilliamson062

subscribing. Have to make one out of pine first to make all my mistakes, but very interested in this down the road.