The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 25, 2005, 07:29 PM   #1
Shrinkmd

What do I do with an 870 12 G 18" HD model?

I got it for HD, but I want to practice with it. I am obviously very new to shotguns. Any recommendations on where to look as far as what loads for targets, what type of clay target, etc? My range has a shotgun range supposedly and some equipment for throwing clays. Obviously I need to find a friend to help out, but I'm curious what people suggest.
Old June 25, 2005, 10:43 PM   #2
Bob Freddy

I have that same gun. It will feed on anything I put in it. It groups 00 buckshot in nice tight patterns at 7-25 yards. Four inch groups with slugs at 50 yards with just the bead sight.

Let's see...On the maiden voyage to the range(LE range although I am not an LEO, just happen to be great friends with the range master!) I fed it all kinds of ammo. It was all stuff turned into the police by people that didn't want it for what ever reasons. Heck, I put a couple hundred shells through it ranging from bird shot all the way up to slugs. I even shot a signal flare with it pretty lame and very smokey!

As far as clays, you can shoot clays with it but it definitley isn't the best choice for it. For ammo I would buy what ever is on sale and shoot it up. Stay away from the turkey loads though, those will tear you up(high-recoil)
I personally like to shoot low recoil 00 buckshot. Any of the major brands will work.

You might want to call and make sure the range you mentioned will let you shoot clays with an 18" barell. I have heard of some places requiring a longer barrel than that but have never seen this first hand.

BOB
Old June 25, 2005, 10:48 PM   #3
sm

Searches will show a slew of threads. Consider Dave McC as one to watch for threads originated by. Look for his 101 threads.

There is always Awerbuck , word is he knows enough to get published in SWAT, and his own books...
Old June 26, 2005, 03:16 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

What do you do? Anything you want to....

While trap demands more choke that you have, a few rounds of skeet will show you having fun and getting better aren't antithetical. Many SC shots are in range also.

A second barrel set up for choke tubes makes your 870 suitable for most anything a shotgun can do.

Do get a lesson or six.

Enjoy....
Old June 26, 2005, 01:40 PM   #5
rugerdude

SHOOT SKEET! I used my uncle's mossberg 590 for skeet and I shot my first perfect round yesterday. IMO short barreled shotguns make the best skeet guns because of the open choke and you have more visibility because the barrel is not in your way.

I am now going to purchase a 590.

Not my quote but I agree completely.
Old June 26, 2005, 02:48 PM   #6
jonathon

I shoot random crap with buckshot.

Last time I took it out, we shot random bits of rotten fruit(go talk to your super market, they usually have some..)
Romans 12:21

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good

More CZ M52 info than you can shake a stick at!