The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 27, 2013, 06:11 PM   #1
rick bruton

338 Lapua

anyone have information on how much elevation holdover needed to make a 1 mile shot with a 338 lupua?
Old February 27, 2013, 06:41 PM   #2
allaroundhunter

Re: 338 lupua

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick bruton View Post
anyone have information on how much elevation holdover needed to make a 1 mile shot with a 338 lupua?
How much experience do you have shooting rifles? Just by the nature of the question I would guess not much, but I suppose I could be wrong.

There are many factors that we need to know before we can even start to guess at the answer. However, not many people actually hold over a target at extended ranges, turrets are used to dial in the drop from a set zero yardage so that cross hairs can be placed on the target.... Once lateral variations have also been accounted for, of course.
Old February 27, 2013, 06:48 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

No answer is possible without knowing atmospheric conditions, elevation, the exact bullet and the exact muzzle velocity.
Old February 27, 2013, 06:50 PM   #4
allaroundhunter

Re: 338 Lapua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Pfleuger View Post
No answer is possible without knowing atmospheric conditions, elevation, the exact bullet and the exact muzzle velocity.
As well as the zero range
Old February 27, 2013, 07:06 PM   #5
rick bruton

sorry folks, just finished sniper book on hathcock. not looking for specfics, just generalities. i did quick computations and came up with a trajectory of about 68 feet! seems impossible. sorry for the chapping!
Old February 27, 2013, 07:59 PM   #6
Metal god

I'm not sure if hold over is the same as bullet drop but I get close to 120 feet of bullet drop @ 1800yds using a ballistic calculator . Bullet used is Hornady match 285gr bthp , zeroed at 100yds , muzzle velocity of 2800fps and a BC of .700 . How did you get 68' of hold over ? Did you half the bullet drop ?

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; February 27, 2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old February 27, 2013, 08:16 PM   #7
mapsjanhere

You don't compensate for bullet drop by hold-over, you compensate by dialing in the right angle on your scope. Now, 60 feet of drop seems like a lot, but at 1600 yards that's about 40 MOA. Most better scopes will do that even if the scope is mounted parallel to the bore. Long-distance guns will typically help with large compensation angles by having an angled base, giving you a 20 MOA head start and a better use of the scope's adjustment range.
Old February 27, 2013, 09:07 PM   #8
allaroundhunter

Quote:
sorry folks, just finished sniper book on hathcock. not looking for specfics, just generalities. i did quick computations and came up with a trajectory of about 68 feet! seems impossible. sorry for the chapping!
Without knowing what you used as your zero range, I am going to say that you are way off.... 40 MOA is a pretty small amount to be honest....

And trust me, we aren't anywhere close to giving you specifics. We are simply asking for the generalities needed to make a basic estimation. You can't even take a little guess without knowing what bullet you are using, the muzzle velocity, and the zero range of the rifle.
Old March 3, 2013, 10:40 AM   #9
tulsamal

I don't think many people would zero a 338 Lapua at 100 yards!

Granted, it's true that the real long distance shooters "dial in" for each shot with their spotters. Somebody doing a practical sniper course though where they have to shoot at many unknown distances and with a time limit might decide to have a midrange zero and use holdover for the longer targets.

Gregg
Old March 3, 2013, 10:47 AM   #10
tulsamal

Quote:
Now, 60 feet of drop seems like a lot
The other thing is how 60 feet sounds like a lot if you are standing right next to it. But even through a 25x scope, 60 feet isn't much at all if you are talking about 1760 yards away. Things look incredibly tiny through your scope at that range.

It's one of those things every movie seems to get wrong. In both directions. They show a sniper some incredible distance away, then he is looking through his scope and we see the reticle with him. And you can see the target talking and waving his hands. And the sniper puts the X right on his head. Which fills something like half the scope! (And it is steady as a rock. No gentle figure 8's or heartbeats from this sniper!)

Or they go the other way and show a "sniper" shooting at somebody 75 yards away. With a big scope. And when we see through the scope, the target is visible from foot to head. Making it tough for the "sniper" to make this super difficult shot.

Whenever the cops show up for the TV crime scene, you only have two choices. Either it was a drive by and the bad guys were spraying obviously full auto everywhere (which the cops will label as semi-automatic) or the bad guy is more than 50 yards away and fired just a few careful shots. In which case he is officially a sniper!

Gregg