The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 24, 2001, 07:07 PM   #1
Jamie Young

I've recently reloaded about 700rds of 45acp and I'm in the process of reloading about 800rds of .223. I just got my crimping dies and I've noticed my rounds are dirty as hell. After I crimped all the 45acp rounds my hands had black all over them and my .223 ammo is the same. Does anyone here actually have clean reloads?
Who cares how clean the powder burns, my brass is still dirty!
Old February 25, 2001, 10:34 AM   #2
Jamie Young

I often wondered it if was ok to wash the brass. It seems they get have a kind of black grit thats hard to see but it never comes off. I'll try that next time!
Old February 26, 2001, 03:46 PM   #3
stuckatwork

I tried this on a lark once. I say once because the Mrs. caught trying it a second time.

I had a ton of brass that need to be cleaned in a hurry. So, I loaded the cases into a bunch of those net bags used for ladies danties and tossed the bunch into the dish washer. It worked like a charm. the brass came out all clean and dry, even the primer pockets were cleaned out. Not wanting to cross contaminate the dishes with anything left behind from the brass, I wiped the inside of the washer down with bleach, then ran the washer again. Worked like a charm.

Since the Mrs. caught me, my dishwasher priviledges have been curtailed. Ditto with the clothes washer, Do not use the washer's spin cycle as a centrifuge. The stuff to be seperated was put into a mason jar and duct taped it to the inside of the washer drum. Yep, I had a bunch of glass to clean up.

Old February 26, 2001, 05:21 PM   #4
Jamie Young

Stuckatwork- I like the name !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Did the Mrs. happen to have a shotgun pointed at you after you tried that with the dishwasher?
Old February 27, 2001, 01:20 PM   #5
stuckatwork

SodaPop,

Naw, the Mrs. can be 5'3" 120 pounds of shreaking terror when she feels the need. Besides, the guys at the range nicked named her "Sniper GRRRRL". She can put three round under a nickle at 100 yards with my (her) AR15 and the same at 200 with my (hers, now) custom built Mauser 98 in .243. She is also deadly with my (her) 1911, my (her) Beretta 92 and my (yep, hers now) Browning P35 HP. I'm hoping that I can keep her away from my just finished .308 Mauser in a sniper configuration. I am currently hiding it from her.

Under these conditions, when she shreeks, I say "Yes Dear"