The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old January 31, 2009, 03:58 AM   #1
I<3Guns

Beginning Bullseye Shooting (+ 0-2 weeks progress)

I started with pistol target shooting, then Action Pistol. Bullseye shooting did not look fun, because I liked to draw and shoot practical defensive pistol. I was introduced to bullseye because a local gun club's membership required that you shoot a few bullseye rounds (two 300s) to show safety and competency.

I thought Bullseye shooting would be lame and boring. Bullseye is fun! I found out after trying it.

Here are some positive opinions I'd formed about Bullseye shooting, from a beginner's perspective.

If you like Golf, then you might like bullseye. In Golf and Bullseye, you start out at "suck" and work your way up from the very bottom. They both are testing animals, but each sport rewards you with marked progress that's easy to see. These little tastes of success are what keep you coming back for more.

If you like cheap trigger time, then bullseye is a good route because you can do a majority of shooting with a .22 ($260 and cheap rounds). I like to think of it as, "shooting paper with a purpose". You get to send shots downrange, but each one really means something and has a dramatic effect on your score. You're getting quality trigger time and learning a lot with each shot.

You can find bullseye clubs in most states and you'll have the same shooting experience at each one. It's a very portable sport, like hopping on a basketball court - the playing field is practically the same and they have indoor and outdoor locations.

That's some of the things I like about bullseye that have me hooked as a beginner. It's cheap to get started. It's challenging and had an unlimited skill ceiling.

I'd like some feedback on my progress. I started out using my S&W M&P 9mm FS and later bought a Ruger Mark III Target .22 w/ a 5.25" bull barrel. Both guns are stock out-of-the-box and I'm using iron sights.

I have my scores starting from my first session to my latest:
Code:
300 League
Date		Relay    Match	 Raw Score
2009-01-15	4	 1	 23	(9mm)
2009-01-15	4	 2	 62	(9mm)
2009-01-22	1	 1	 191
2009-01-22	1	 2	 222
2009-01-22	2	 1	 233
2009-01-22	2	 2	 243
2009-01-22	4	 1	 150
2009-01-22	4	 2	 219
2009-01-22	5	 1	 189
2009-01-22	5	 2	 148
2009-01-29	2	 1	 258
2009-01-29	2	 2	 237
2009-01-29	3	 1	 244
2009-01-29	3	 2	 256
2009-01-29	4	 1	 245
2009-01-29	4	 2	 250
2009-01-29	5	 1	 255
2009-01-29	5	 2	 258
I'm learning something every time I shoot.

I plan on adding the VQ accurizing kit and some kind of Red Dot to the Mark III, but I want to learn more about trigger control and sight picture before I add things that will affect performance. It's just me and my gun right now. A spotting scope will probably be my next investment.

Relating to Action Pistol: My trigger control and sighting is better than ever and I'm topping the club's action pistol. I owe a lot of it to the trigger time I'm getting and to the helpful bullseye people that have a passion for this kind of shooting. You might want to try it, because it's never too late to learn something!
Old January 31, 2009, 05:39 AM   #2
darkgael

Bullseye

Yep. That's what happens. Bullseye competition and practice are among the most relaxing, enjoyable, physically rewarding things that I do. One learns mental focus (I'm convinced that 90% of the game is in the head, the rest is trigger control) and skills basic to all other forms of shooting.
Standing up, standing still, one hand extended unsupported with the gun is a more difficult act than most shooters choose. The little B2 indoor slow fire target is, maybe, the most difficult challenge in conventional shooting.
Buying that Ruger was a good idea. The next thing that you need is a .45 auto (1911).
Another great teacher is Air Pistol, though competitions are harder to find. If you want to see your slow fire scores go up, shooting some air pistol matches can help.
But....one thing at a time. Keep at it.
Pete
Old January 31, 2009, 10:19 AM   #3
kraigwy

Congrats on choosing Bullseye.

Bullseye pistol is probalbly the best place to learn pistol shooting (and I'll include ISU pistol shooting).

Combat, Action Shooting Etc. is fun but it dosnt teach the fundelmentals like bullseye.

One thing I can offer that will help you, or anyone else, whether they are bigginers or experienced shooters is a copy of the USARMU Pistol Marksmanshop Guide. Best book ever written on learning pistol shooting put out by the best shooters in the world.

Whats great is IT'S FREE.

PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send it to you in .pdf format.

Gen Ike, (as president) started the Army Marksmanship Unit, not only to increase the marksmanship abilities of the Army, but civilians as well.

There is no short cut to learning to shoot bullseye, its hard but rewarding work. The Pistol Marksmanship Guide will get you started in the right direction.

Good luck, keep shooting.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 31, 2009, 01:02 PM   #4
OldShooter

bullseye

I'm with Kraigwy, the pistol marksmanship manual has made a big difference in my shooting(I still stink, but not as bad). This style of shooting is a big challenge and rewarding. I've tried IDPA, fun too, and falling plates, but I like bullseye best.
Old January 31, 2009, 03:13 PM   #5
Casimer

Here's the USMC Pistol Team workbook - http://www.brianzins.com/downloads.shtml

Quote:
I started with pistol target shooting, then Action Pistol.
Brian Zins is currently the National Manager of NRA Pistol Programs in the competitive shooting division. He's been promoting the idea of a demonstration match that combines AP and BE. I don't know whether this sort of thing would ever take off, but it's an interesting idea.
Old January 31, 2009, 04:05 PM   #6
kraigwy

Brian Zins just won his 9th National Pistol Championship last summer at Perry.

I would consider him the E.F. Hutton of pistol shooting.

When Brian Zins speak, people listen (or should).
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 1, 2009, 06:12 AM   #7
OldShooter

bullseye

I've downloaded the USMC Workbook. Do they have a companion manual or do they use the Army manual? (that would be hard to believe). Having been in the Army and having read many manuals (I was company clerk), I found the marksmanship manual to be unusually well written(for the Army).