The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 23, 2008, 04:39 PM   #1
MaineColt

Why the difference between RELOAD MANUALS?

I am loading .44 mag cartridges.
Loading Hornady 200 grain HP/XTP's.
Blue Dot powder.

Lyman manual lists the powder amount @ 15.7-18.7
Hornady manual @ 16.6-20.9

So, now that I've shot several rounds at 20 grains each, according to the Lyman manual I'm 1.3 grains over max.

I started at 16.0 grains and worked up 0.5 grains at a time, testing groups along the way. When I got to 20 grains, it was my most accurate by far. The more powder, the smaller the groups got. 16 gr. groups were at 4.5" at 25 yards. The 20 gr. group is 1 1/4".

BUT......before I load a couple hundred rounds at 20.0 grains each, I'm nervous that I'm overloading them.

Hornady manual was printed in 1980.
Lyman manual was printed in 2002.

Kev
Old March 23, 2008, 04:51 PM   #2
freakshow10mm

Testing components and platforms is different.

One might use Winchester primers, the other Federal.

One might use a generic JHP bullet the other a specific brand.

One might use a "universal receiver" for testing, the other might use an actual firearm.

One might be located at 3000 ft above sea level, the other might be a 8000 ft above sea level.

One might load to a different OAL than the other one.

One might feel that a certain pressure is enough whereas the other might load a bit hotter.
Old March 23, 2008, 04:53 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

Yeah, it's kind of a mess. Devil is in the details. Note that SAMMI only specifies external brass dimensions, so the manufacturers are free to do whatever they want on the inside, and sometimes that changes case capacity enough to affect pressure. Another detail is what gun you are shooting? Often, tough guns, like Ruger Revolvers or the Thompson Center single-shot guns, especially the beefy Encore, will safely handle much warmer loads than lighter guns.

So, double-check which components were used and that you are matching them.

Second, since the Hornady manual was published, the industry has gone over from mostly measuring pressure with copper crushers (C.U.P.) to using more accurate Piezo transducers (P.S.I.), and that has lead to changes in loads needed to meet SAMMI standards, which also were revised to match the newer system. You could well have seen some change because of that. Liability considerations also tend to reduce load recommendations over time, as the guns that use them get older.

Third, some manuals recommend load developed in actual production arms, while others do it in SAMMI spec test barrels. The latter have minimum size chambers and typically get to higher pressure with a given load than a production gun will. That is because the peak pressure you get to is dependent upon the volume the case expands to have in the chamber, not the volume of the sized case.

Search the forum for threads on pressure signs and learn them for your gun. Typically, though, a more accurate load is not a peak load for that gun. Most guns start to get less accurate as you go into excess pressure ranges because the metal is being distorted by the pressure. Your load is probably fine in your gun, but unless you say what it is, we can't advise you on that.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 23, 2008, 04:53 PM   #4
Gbro

The newer loading manuals seem to more conservative. That is why one should know the signs of pressure(over) and start low. Then the manuals will give data for their bullet, where lyman is more generic.
Old March 23, 2008, 04:55 PM   #5
MaineColt

Freakshow10mm,

I hear you, but it still makes me nervous.

One used a standard receiver w/ 4" Bbl.
The other used a Ruger SRH, 7.5" Bbl.

Still a bit of a difference.

Kev
Old March 23, 2008, 04:58 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

Ruger is stronger than average and will generally tolerate more pressure than SAMMI max. I presume that was the Hornady book's gun? In a revolver, if the cases eject easily and don't stick in the cylinder at all, you very unlikely to be at the gun's maximum pressure tolerance.

P.S. Just checked my own Lyman manual, and I guessed right. Doubt very much that you are in trouble there if you are also using a Ruger Redhawk?

P.P.S. The very confusion you are suffering is the reason for the common recommendation to own at least three loading manuals and to start working up from the lowest load given among the three.

P.P.P.S. It might interest you to know the CIP (Europe's equivalent of SAMMI) puts the .44 Mag safe peak pressure at 2800 bar, or 40,644 PSI, while SAMMI wants it down at 36,000 PSI. I believe the original developed cartridge spec for the .44 Mag was the same as the original for .357 Mag, which was something more like 42,000 PSI equivalent in CUP? Both seem to have been lowered over liability concerns.

Last edited by Unclenick; March 23, 2008 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Added P.S. and P.P.S.
Old March 23, 2008, 04:59 PM   #7
MaineColt

UncleNick,

Shooting a Ruger Redhawk, Stainless, 5.5" Bbl.

Kev
Old March 23, 2008, 05:01 PM   #8
MaineColt

Quote-UncleNick-"Ruger is stronger than average and will generally tolerate more pressure. I presume that was the Hornady book's gun?"

Yes, in the Hornady manual, it was the Ruger SRH.

Kev
Old March 23, 2008, 05:02 PM   #9
MaineColt

No sticking of the cartridges at all using 20.0 grains of Blue Dot.

No sign what-so-ever of flattened primers either.
Old March 23, 2008, 05:19 PM   #10
Unclenick
Staff

Those facts plus good accuracy all add up to you being in cool shape with that load. I also ran it in the QuickLOAD computer program, and making their straight case allowance to compensate the pressure calculation, I came up with 20.3 grains (full case of Blue Dot with no compressing of the powder) and the bullet seated to 1.610" COL, a pressure of 34,319 PSI. Lower than Lyman's CUP reading, but CUP and PSI don't track very well and jump back and forth as to which reads higher in the Magnum handgun range, so that suggests you are fine, too. I'm sure your cylinder chambers are bigger than their's was anyway.
Old March 23, 2008, 05:35 PM   #11
MaineColt

thanks unclenick,
Yes, my OAL is indeed 1.610" as well.

I appreciate you checking on your program, thanks for everything. Going back to the reloading bench to finish up.

Kev
Old March 23, 2008, 06:15 PM   #12
kraigster414

From my experience as a reloader for 25 plus years, Lyman's loads have always been very conservative. Speer's loads on the other hand have been more daring, and Hornady's somewhere in the middle. I think liability has a lot to do with it.
Old March 23, 2008, 06:21 PM   #13
freakshow10mm

The original 357 Mag's MAP was 50,000 psi.
Old March 23, 2008, 08:16 PM   #14
Mr.RevolverGuy

All have given great advice here. I like to go with the manufacturer recommendations.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...27&bulletid=85

According to the link above 17 grains is max. I take 10% off that and then work my way up until I get what I need. Bluedot is a good powder for 44mag. I have found that HS6 is a bit more accurate for me.

I do find your results a bit strange because with me the heavier loads with bluedot were all over the place. The hotter I made them up to 18.2 grains the wider my group got. According to lyman 48th edition 18.7 is max. The accuracy problem was the reason I switched to HS-6. When switching to HS-6 I also switched to 240gr.

When I believe I will get the chance to hunt with my 44 I will load 10 rounds with h110 very accurate but very stout.

Speer 12th edition actually list 16grains of Bluedot as max.

Hornady 3rd edition list 20.9 grains as max. I would be afraid to go this high with Bluedot. Depending on the weather it can be temper-mental. If I needed to get 1500FPS which is what they list the max load as out of my 44 I will use h110.