The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 23, 2008, 01:02 PM   #1
stump shooter

Best dies for a 336 in 30/30

I bought a standard RCBS FL 2 die set to start working on some once fired Win., Fed., and Rem. brass from my 336SS.
Someone had recommended that the X die will improve case life and behavior. Otherwise using the standard dies, case failure becomes a potential after only a couple reloads at hunting/factory pressures.

What is a realistic life expectancy from 30/30 brass?
I will be using 748 with Fed. 210 or Wolf LR primers.

Thank you in advance!
Old March 23, 2008, 01:25 PM   #2
scrat

win 748 is very good stuff. i have been able to get average about 8-10 reloads out of my 30-30. What will increase the life of your brass is neck sizing versus full length sizing. 30-30 cases are already thin walled. if you do full length sizing your case life will be half of what i said. some people mark there brass i used to do that. i now look for the signs. look at the brass after you shoot. look for stress cracks, look for fatigue. how did it feel when you pressed the bullet in. if it went in to easy. the thin wall is thinner pull the bullet deprime toss the brass. For sure if you want to save your brass get a neck sizing die. then the lee fcd die is the best to use on 30-30 cases.
Old March 23, 2008, 01:51 PM   #3
Dilbert

I've been using Lee dies, full length sizing, and so far haven't had any problems, my current batch of cases have 7 loads through them and are doing fine, although I don't load too heavy as I'm mostly plinking.
Gun Control-gun con·trol n. definition 1. The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker received that fatal bullet wound. 2. The ability to hit what you are aiming at.
Old March 23, 2008, 03:46 PM   #4
stump shooter

I forgot to add that I am planning on using the LFCD. I have developed a habit of running most things through them.

I thought that the neck sizing is ideal for single shots and bolt actions, but for lever actions the full length was recommended.
Old March 23, 2008, 04:30 PM   #5
wncchester

"...using the standard dies, case failure becomes a potential after only a couple reloads at hunting/factory pressures."

Don't have a .30-30 but do have a .35, much the same type potential for problems. I usually just neck size with a Lee collet die, that's supposed to be a no-no for lever guns but it works fine for me. I only FL when the cartridges seem to be tight to chamber, maybe after five loadings.

With the steep taper of your cartridge you can easily neck size with an FL die, just back it out a full turn and the body won't be touched.

So far, most of my brass has been re-poked about 8-10 times without problems so I don't need an X die, even if they made one for my favorite old deer cartridge. Just don't over-resize your brass (doing like the instructions tell you to set the die over does it), and you should get plenty of case life.
Old March 23, 2008, 04:39 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

The Lee Factory Crimp Die will fatigue the case necks by working them more than sizing alone will do. Thin brass, especially, can get work hardened and springy from that. You will want, therefore, to plan to anneal your case necks. Once every 5 rounds is a common practice for people not using the factory crimp dies. Watch for neck splits. If you get them, anneal more often.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle