The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 20, 2008, 08:00 PM   #1
Yoosta B. Blue

A new milestone...

Yep, I reached a new milestone in reloading today. I'm a newbie at all this and have been learning the trade via a helpful friend who has coached and guided me through a few sessions there at his place. Up until today, I've always used only Bullseye, with relatively small charge weights, in loading .38 Special. But today, on my own, I switched over to Alliant 2400 and used a charge weight of 14 grains with Hornady 158 gr JHP. I went out and shot some of them this afternoon and was more accurate at 15 yards than I've ever been before. I like using 2400 (you sure don't need to worry about doing a double charge with it!), and I'll be loading lots of .357 with it.

I'm delighted with what I've learned and am happy to expand my horizons and reach a new plateau in something that is extremely enjoyable.

Yoosta B. Blue
Old March 20, 2008, 09:24 PM   #2
Sevens

Okay, a milestone would be a single event. So which are you celebrating? Finally adding a new powder to the load bench? Best group at 15 yards? First loads in .357 Mag?

If this is the most accurate you've been yet, have you tried some wadcutters in .38 Special? No big boom, no recoil, short puff of smoke, and clean holes and the tightest groups you'll see... at 25 yards!

Anyway, some time ago I used to do everything I could to try and figure out all the different ways I could use the limited number of different powder choices I had on hand. The idea of buying more and different powders was annoying to me. At some point recently, I abandoned that line of thinking. Now, I love the idea of having a whole different slew of powders and a whole lot of options to try and see which combo comes up the best.

Anyhow, congrats on your milestone-- whichever it is!
Old March 21, 2008, 01:00 AM   #3
saber9

I agree with you on 2400 for full power .357 loads; in over 30 years of reloading it has been my first choice for .357.

My most accurate shooting has not been with .357, though. I have loaded and shot more .38 special rounds than any other using 148 gr. HBWC bullets over 2.7 grains of Bullseye. Exactly as Sevens said: no big boom, no recoil to speak of, clean holes in the paper, and consistently the best accuracy of anything I shoot. For standard factory velocity .38 special loads, my long time standard load is 4.4 grains Unique over a 158 gr. LSWC. They are a stouter load, of course, than the 148 gr HBWC's, but still very pleasant to shoot and almost as accurate. My .357 shooting is mostly with heavy frame revolvers and recoil is not a problem, but a steady diet of shooting big boomers (.357, .44 magnum, and hot .45 Colt) gets old after a while. I find the older I get, the more I enjoy shooting .22 LR, 9mm, and .38 special.

I have long enjoyed experimenting with different powders and bullets in all the calibers I reload. I am a conservative reloader, however. I am always searching for the most accurate load, not the most powerful. I never load anything to its absolute maximum. I feel that if I need a more powerful round, I need to move to a larger caliber. To each his own, though. I'm glad you are enjoying reloading. I found long ago it adds a new dimension to shooting to "build" your own ammo. I rarely shoot any factory ammo any more.
Old March 21, 2008, 01:16 AM   #4
scsov509

Quote:
I find the older I get, the more I enjoy shooting .22 LR, 9mm, and .38 special.
That's funny, because I find the more I reload the more I'm becoming a big bore fan. Handloading makes calibers like the 44 magnum so much more enjoyable because there is so much that you can do with these through different handloads. I'm also finding that handloading is making me increasingly more of a revolver fan. I love my autoloaders and carry one every day, but I shoot my revolvers much more and enjoy loading for them more than my autoloaders. I think I just feel like I can tinker around a lot more with my revolver rounds, and God knows that us handloaders like to experiment
Old March 21, 2008, 06:23 PM   #5
drail

scsov509, I couldn't agree more with your findings. I think a lot of folks start reloading and lean towards the hot loads. Then you start to realize you don't need to do that to your gun or your wrist every time you shoot.
Old March 23, 2008, 06:27 AM   #6
Yoosta B. Blue

Sevens, there may be several milestones in this for me. But no matter the number of them, I am keenly enjoying the art of reloading, and can see that this is something that I will continue to delight in...

This forum is a great place to obtain info. Thanks to all who contribute!

YBB
Old March 23, 2008, 07:05 AM   #7
Sevens

Hey Blue, I know what you mean. Reloading becomes a hobby all it's own, outside of shooting or hunting, and for me anyway, it's a way to "go shooting" or just enjoy my firearms when it's simply not possible to get out to the range. I also believe that I enjoy it because at it's most basic-- reloading is very, very easy to do. But the more you learn and the more time and care you put in to it, the better you get at it, the better ammo you turn out.