The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 17, 2002, 11:07 PM   #1
vulcan

Ringed load?

Hi, Maybe one of the scattergun wizards tried or has info on this one. I was told a poor man's slug can be made from a regular shotshell by cutting the casing(over the wad) all the way around leaving 3 very small uncut sections to hold the shell together. When fired, the front section(casing,shot,wad) shoots out as 1 projectile. I was warned not to do this trick except in a single or double barrel shotgun because of ejection problem & possibility of casing lodged in barrel on a pumpgun. If this works It might work as a poorman's glaser! Anyway, have anyone tried this or have any info on it? Thanks
Old October 18, 2002, 12:21 AM   #2
Dfariswheel

I heard this one years ago. Some gun writer heard this when he was a kid and decided to try it.

The writer tried it and got the casing stuck in the barrel.
Since the shell casing is bigger than the bore, the casing made it part way down the barrel, the end opened and the shot and wads blew on out, leaving the casing and some wadding jammed in good and tight.
Old October 18, 2002, 04:23 AM   #3
C.R.Sam

Great way to blow the gun up with a second shot.

Sam
Old October 18, 2002, 05:13 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I beleive it's called a South African Slug. Another good way to receive a Darwin Award, IMO.

The older version of years gone by was to open the crimp on a shotshell and pour in a little melted candle wax or tallow.How wax or tallow would keep holding the shot together in a clump with gases reaching 400F in contact with same is not known.

BTW, a shot load striking anything while still contained in the wad mimics a Glaser.

Standard shotgun ammo is devastating, stick with it....
Old October 18, 2002, 07:24 AM   #5
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

I've tried this - when I was young and stupid. You have to just about completely sever the shell just ahead of the brass. IIRC, the max range is >20 yards as the shot tends to go through the crimp due to momentum.

It was fairly common amongst the mountain folks where I grew up. Cartridges were expensive and bigger game was target of opportunity rather than planned. Most gun shops and sporting goods stores sold cartridges individually.

Other than an emergency situation I see no use for this technique.
Old October 18, 2002, 08:26 AM   #6
HSMITH

Hard wax poured into the shot works much better, but you need a mylar wrap to keep it from sticking to the wad. You also need to factor the weight of the wax into the load, it raises the total weight of the ejecta considerably and pressure follows. If it drags the wad with it a lot of control is lost, meaning you can't hit much with it. IC is the tightest choke I would ever try with this too, pressures could elevate drastically with a tighter choke. Fun to experiment with, but usefulness is questionable.
Old October 18, 2002, 10:55 PM   #7
Bruce626

Geez... why would you even consider this? If it is simply economics, I'll send you some money! Don't kill yourself or those around you just to save 50 cents is my humble opinion.

If on the other hand this was simply a technical/feasibility theoretical question, my advice would be to fully document your preparations, update your will, and go for it.
Old October 19, 2002, 08:15 AM   #8
SDC

Do a search on "New Zealand Slug", and you'll see the same thing; this is an all-round bad idea, hard on your shotgun (if not destructive), and can be very hard on your eyes, face, fingers, etc. if it lets go.
Old October 19, 2002, 01:24 PM   #9
vulcan

not me!

Bruce, thanks for the financial offer, But I still have enough brain cells not to try this. I just wanted to see if this wasn't a old shooter's tale.