The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 1, 2001, 09:59 AM   #1
Clint Tickler

Lee Versus Dillon Dies

I currently reload all my hand gun calibers with Lee dies, including the factory crimp die. (On my Dillon 650) I'm getting my first 45 soon and need a set of dies for that and am thinking about trying Dillon dies. Any comments one way or another on Dillon versus Lee on their reloading dies. Thanks.
Old August 1, 2001, 10:05 PM   #2
Good Guy

Never had any problems with Dillon dies and their sizer is radiused with a progressive in mind. Never owned any Lee dies so I can't offer any comparisons other than I know Lee costs half as much as Dillon, but I don't mind.
Old August 2, 2001, 11:39 PM   #3
capbuster

My dillon 550 is set up for .45acp and the dillon dies are super.I especially like the feature where you can pull the lock ring on the bullet seater and the crimp die and clean the dies if necessary without removing the die bodies from the block. I have two lee carbide sizers,and they have given me excellent service over the years. I have read that if lee dies are use with the dillon the lock rings must be used on the bottom side of the die block since the die bodies are shorter than the dillons. You might check this out for yourself.This is not a criticism of the lee products but just something to check on and be aware of.
Old August 3, 2001, 06:03 AM   #4
WESHOOT2

You'll still want to finish with your LEE Carbide Factory Crimp die.

Mount ring 'underneath'.
Old August 3, 2001, 07:31 AM   #5
Clint Tickler

Thanks to all for input. I have four tool heads set up with Lee dies right now so I'm aware of the need to use the lock nut on the bottom. That's no biggy. I use factory crimp dies on all of them. Wesshoot, so you are of the opinion that I may want to use the Lee factory crimp die rather then the Dillon taper crimp that comes with the set? Thanks again.
Old August 5, 2001, 11:43 PM   #6
blades67

I had a set of Lee dies in .40 S&W/10mm for a short time after I got my RL550B. They were slow because the cases need to be perfectly in line with the die or the case will catch the mouth of the die and bring everything to a temporary halt. I have not had that happen with the Dillon dies. The larger radius at the mouth of the die makes all the difference.

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old August 7, 2001, 06:55 PM   #7
WESHOOT2

NOT OPINION

Yes, highly recommend finishing with the LEE Carbide Factory Crimp die.
In my experience the radius is sufficient (at least on the crimper, but I've had good and bad results with the sizers).

Also, if you intend to reload 'range brass' in 45ACP highly recommend buying the LEE "U" undersized carbide sizer (about $20 from LEE).
This die sizes a few thousands smaller for better case neck tension, the nemisis of "setback" (bad thing).