The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 31, 2017, 10:23 PM   #1
mellow_c

Vietnam Era M16 slings?

I'm putting together a half hearted Vietnam era 20" AR-15 with integrated carry handle, triangular forend and all that fun stuff.

Just wondering if anyone can tell me what type of sling would be appropriate for the rifle/theme and where to find one at a decent price?

Old December 31, 2017, 10:52 PM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

If I remember right, the sling would be cloth (nylon??) OD green (every one I've seen was faded to some degree) with a clamp type keeper, blackened brass keeper and end tab (or something that showed yellowish when worn at the edges).

Don't know where you'd find one today but they used to be common as dirt at surplus stores and gun shows.

New M16A1 in the 70s had black slings with a buckle keeper. I don't know if the later black sling was actually used in Viet Nam, or not. Sorry.

Hope this helps.
Old January 1, 2018, 12:46 AM   #3
Water-Man

Green cotton 601 type in the 60s.
Old January 1, 2018, 04:55 AM   #4
hdwhit

Here's what one looks like:
https://www.brigadeqm.com/Sling-M16-...25-p/ars01.htm
Unfortunately, this seller is out of stock.
Old January 1, 2018, 09:01 AM   #5
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellow c
Just wondering if anyone can tell me what type of sling would be appropriate for the rifle/theme and where to find one at a decent price?
Some retro builders like the early "seatbelt" sling even though the cotton ones seem to work better. The seatbelt versions can be found for $25.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Equipmen...50/25-1709613/

Have you looked at the retro section at AR15.com?
Old January 1, 2018, 09:27 AM   #6
agtman

Quote:
Green cotton 601 type in the 60s.
I believe that's correct. That's what I've got on my Retro 20" pencil-barrel AR, the "circa 1965/A-Shau Valley" model. Mine came with the rifle.

Just recently replaced the incorrect "wedged" delta ring with a period-correct one - the small, gray flat d.r.

On the sling, here's an old pic attached to my post (#26) in this thread: https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...=591228&page=2 )

Last edited by agtman; January 1, 2018 at 09:38 AM.
Old January 1, 2018, 12:10 PM   #7
pblanc

This should be close enough for government work:

http://www.ammogarand.com/amm1gaodcowe.html
Old January 1, 2018, 01:08 PM   #8
gc70

The Garand gurus at the Civilian Marksmanship Program sell this sling.
Old January 1, 2018, 03:07 PM   #9
mellow_c

Thanks everyone, looks like those are all about what I was expecting, but thank you for the verification.

Pblanc and gc70, thanks for those links, those are good prices compared to what I've found elsewhere.

agtman, you're rifle looks great. Mine does not have the pencil barrel. I also kept the A2 stock that came with the rifle build kit because I read that the brownells A1 stock that would have better matched (shiny black) the brownells triangular for end was a bit flimsy and lightweight.
Not sure about my decision now. The sort of satin grey A2 stock with the shinny black forend doesn't look right for the time period, but it's not a bad look overall considering the also dull grey gi magazine. The A1 butstock would have only cost an extra $20 or so if I had gotten the full retro stock set from Brownells but I ended up just getting the handguard and used the pistol grip and a2 stock that came with the kit.

At least now I'll be able to have an appropriate sling. Now I just have to decide if I want to keep this rifle as a half hearted vintage build, or replace the full stock set to bring it a little closer.
Old January 1, 2018, 03:20 PM   #10
mellow_c

This is a link to full stock set,

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...rod109340.aspx

I only bought the handguard/forend, but I see now the shoulder stock and even the pistol grip are very different from the A2 stuff I have in place. Maybe I should have spent the extra $30 for the right look even though the A2 stock appears more rugged and practical with it's nice storage compartment.

This is the build kit I used.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-2...516447015.html

If I were to switch out the A2 stock for the A1, would it be as simple as removing the spacer that is used for the A2 and then just buying a shorter A1 screw, while keeping the same rifle length buffer tube?
Old January 1, 2018, 07:07 PM   #11
agtman

Quote:
* * * I also kept the A2 stock that came with the rifle build kit because I read that the brownells A1 stock that would have better matched (shiny black) the brownells triangular for end was a bit flimsy and lightweight.
Not sure about my decision now. The sort of satin grey A2 stock with the shinny black forend doesn't look right for the time period, but it's not a bad look overall considering the also dull grey gi magazine. The A1 butstock would have only cost an extra $20 or so if I had gotten the full retro stock set from Brownells but I ended up just getting the handguard and used the pistol grip and a2 stock that came with the kit.
If you look around on the 'net, you should be able to find places (like maybe SARCO) that still have some NOS A1 buttstocks and triangle hand-guards for sale.

Typically these A1 parts will have wear ranging from slight to extreme, but if you get a halfway decent set you can paint them or have them painted by someone familiar with the look of Retro ARs. In the last 10 yrs or so, a whole cottage industry seems to have sprung up dedicated to building Retro (1960s) ARs.
Old January 2, 2018, 08:34 PM   #12
Dfariswheel

One note on the AR sling with the clip.

Don't put the clip on the front sling swivel, but it on the rear swivel.
If you put it on the front swivel it'll damage the nylon coating on the swivel and it'll peel off.
Old January 2, 2018, 08:42 PM   #13
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellow c
Now I just have to decide if I want to keep this rifle as a half hearted vintage build,...
IMO, there's nothing wrong with a rifle that captures the virtues of an A1 without being competitive about period correct it is.