The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 27, 2010, 02:33 PM   #1
Gator Weiss

Pyrodex rs powder - any changes?

Bought a new can of Pyrodex RS the other day. It behaved differently.

Sounded slightly different in my .58 cal Zouave. It left less fouling than previously. It behaved well on the range, but it seemed a hell of a lot hotter than it was before. I prefer to shoot DUPONT or GOEX FFg black, but that is harder to find in the shops now. So I am back to shooting the Pyrodex RS powder. I have not shot it in a while, and when I bought this new can, the performance level and residue levels seemed rather different than before.

Has the recipe changed in that powder? Has anyone else noticed this? Where it used to go BANG! Now it goes BOOOM ! My projectiles are hitting slightly higher than before. There seems to be less residue to cleanup than before.
Old July 27, 2010, 03:24 PM   #2
FrontierGander

no nothing in it has changed. You just got a good sealed up can. Pyrodex RS has always been a good reliable powder for us.
Old July 30, 2010, 06:17 PM   #3
Gator Weiss

Good sealed can. Yeah, I see what you are saying.

When it sits on the shelf, with a weak seal, I guess it could draw moisture or humidity and the powder could lose some of it's punch over time in that way.

Yeah, this can was new, from a new shipment to the store that was not quite a month old. It was probably very fresh powder.