The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 5, 2017, 08:03 AM   #1
collier281

AK-47 Recommendations

what is the opinion of the AK 47, what make and model does anyone suggest
thanks
Old November 5, 2017, 10:59 AM   #2
Stats Shooter

I have a VEPR and a SAIGA that I converted.

Arsenal and VEPR are probably top of the line. I like that both of my AK's, the VEPR and SAIGA we're made in Russia. But functionally and durability wise, the Arsenal is just as good or better.

Unfortunately you are looking at $1k for each of those right now. Before the Obama EO on Russian AK's, a good converted SAIGA or VEPR could be had for $600-$700. But now, closer to $1k.

I don't buy or build budget guns. So I'm not going to discuss the lower end AK's.

As for deciding between the 3 I listed above. If you want one made well in Russia, and do not want to do any custom stuff to it, get a VEPR. If you want one made in Russia and want to make it look like an old school AK with some add-ons, get a SAIGA.
If you want a premium AK, top of the line, customized how you want, and don't care that its made in the USA, Arsenal.

Any if these three will live longer than you will and do what they were designed to do no matter how you abuse them.
Old November 5, 2017, 11:24 AM   #3
smee78

I am a simple gun guy and I enjoy a Century WASR AK, only thing you need to look out for is straight sights on them. The AK platform is in general rugged, solid & reliable platform that is made to run with cheap ammo reliably and does not mind if its not cleaned very often. What are you looking to get out of the rifle? What are your plans with it?
Old November 5, 2017, 11:24 AM   #4
Skarekrow88

I have a Russian Saiga SGL-20 that was converted by Arsenal and I love it. Can’t get the Russians anymore because of the import ban but they can be found used. Paid $700 for mine in 2008 but used ones go for well over $1000+ now. Their Bulgarian SLRs can still be had though.

Also have a Yugo M72B1 that was built by James River Armory. Haven’t shot it much yet but like it so far. Had a Romanian AES-10B built by Century but it had FTRTB problems so it got sold.

Shot my friends DDI AK and it works well enough. Palmetto State Armory AKs seem to be well built too. Heard Century stepped up their game with their more recent WASR builds and people say you can’t go wrong with them now.

Stay away from Inter Ordnance (I.O.) builds for sure, also heard horror stories about Century C39s
Old November 5, 2017, 12:42 PM   #5
COSteve

As expensive as the AKs are now, I'd go the SKS or even Mini-30 route first.
Old November 5, 2017, 12:48 PM   #6
Nathan

I would look at the PSA guns. Very impressive to me as a non-AK...
Old November 6, 2017, 12:38 PM   #7
TB9

get a wasr if you can find one. made in a mil. plant pretty close to the old commie guns. lots to love about the old wasr's got a couple myself.
Old November 6, 2017, 02:27 PM   #8
FireForged

One of the best AK variant rifles which are still available today is the MAK90. People will tell you that you cannot find them for less than 1k but that is complete bull. I seen them regularly for $550-650.00 in good condition.

If I were looking for a AK variant in todays market I would do my best to find:

1. Polytech AKS (2000) but I will admit that it would be difficult to find at a reasonable price.

Realistically speaking, I would seek:

1. MAK90 ( unaltered)
2. OPAP
3. NPAP
4. SAR series
5. WASR

Personally I do not like kit guns or anything made with a USA receiver.
Old November 6, 2017, 02:46 PM   #9
RC20

Agreed on the MAK-90

I don't know about the rest, no my area but MAK-90 researched extensively for personal reasons.
Old November 7, 2017, 05:47 AM   #10
mellow_c

I agree,

Check out the PSA AK.

Palmetto State Armory.

I have no experience with them. But they look and sound good, and have a decent price point.
Old November 7, 2017, 08:23 AM   #11
DMK

Spend some time watching the AK Operators Union.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-...roaCr2MuAXeqyg
Old November 7, 2017, 10:27 AM   #12
ilmonster

Yup, Rob at AK Operators Union has a great deal of solid AK information. Based on that and other research, and not wanting to spend a boatload of money on an AK, a year ago I purchased a WASR and couldn't be happier! As an aside, SGAmmo.com is a great place for finding inexpensive AK ammo. Cheers!
Old November 7, 2017, 01:53 PM   #13
Fishbed77

Quote:
One of the best AK variant rifles which are still available today is the MAK90. People will tell you that you cannot find them for less than 1k but that is complete bull. I seen them regularly for $550-650.00 in good condition.
Please tell me where you are finding MAK90s at that price!
Old November 8, 2017, 11:22 PM   #14
Model12Win

Is good comrade, excellent weapon to destroy capitalist dog!!

Seriously, AKs are cool and very fun. Some good brands already mentioned. They are kind of quirky ergonomically but if you don't mind, great guns.
Old November 10, 2017, 01:00 PM   #15
Smoke Screen

I've actually heard the opposite about the Century Arms c39. I hear they are some of the best AK's under $1k because they have a milled receiver. I've never handled or shot one though. I have a Saiga that I have put through its paces over the past 7 years and it's a beast. I'm pretty sure its a stamped receiver though, not milled....
Old November 10, 2017, 07:03 PM   #16
RC20

MAK-90 most of them are stamped receivers.

However, the stamped ones are the thickest receiver of any AK variant (unless that's changed)

In the case of an MAK-90, all the milled does is add an interest aspect and more rare and that gets more money. Functionality wise its zero difference.

Of course you have to go to the trouble to get a good stock on it and make sure it is 922R compliant. That means 6 US parts. Easiest is the Stock that's 3 parts and then a PMAG that also counts as 3.

If there is no magazine in it then its a non functioning gun and not an issue.

Just don't put a different non US magazine in it (PMAG is very very good stuff) .
Old November 15, 2017, 03:45 AM   #17
Ignition Override

RC20:
The main AK Moderator "Nalioth" at 'AKfiles' has stated a few times that 922r was created for importers/assemblers, not end users.

Reportedly there has never been a prosecution Only for 922r deviations, when done by private users.
The ATF can try to add it onto an actual felony, such as robbery, burglary etc.

Naturally it never hurts to be cautious.
Old November 15, 2017, 07:44 AM   #18
DMK

Quote:
The main AK Moderator "Nalioth" at 'AKfiles' has stated a few times that 922r was created for importers/assemblers, not end users.
The ATF has also said that you are 'manufacturing' an SBR by simply shouldering an AR15 pistol (though they later changed their minds - twice)

I could see the ATF claiming that you are manufacturing or assembling an illegal weapon by changing the stock of an imported gun.
Old November 15, 2017, 08:01 AM   #19
Brit

I was in a -CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED- Shop, when in walks a Gent, with two WASR AKs. He had never fired them! My Buddy and I put a word in, required time passed, we had one each. I think for $550.00? I went the folding stock way. Just took up less room. Not shot it much, has a cheap red dot on it. But it does go bang each press of the trigger.
It sits in the tire well, of my 2016 Jeep Cherokee. No tire there. Jeep never stays outside, at night.
Why in Jeep, why in Safe? One place is as good as the other. To make it go bang, full mag, just pull that bolt to the rear, let go. You are off to the races. No particular worries on my mind. I know it is there.
The AK is as close to a load and forget weapon as you can get.
Old November 15, 2017, 08:17 PM   #20
Ignition Override

Brit:
Excellent choice.

The only rifle I keep outside of my safe is the only Romy here, the SAR-1.
It's the same as a WASR, with two minor tweaks done by the manufacturer.

By the way, besides five AKs, the only other centerfires I shoot are my pair of Enfield #4/Mk.1s and the very cool #5 "Jungle Carbine".
Your hometown might have produced a bunch of them? No factory names stamped on them, just those mysterious Romano-British or Anglo-Saxon markings.
#4: serial # "PA ****", Jungle: # "V 540".
Old November 16, 2017, 09:19 AM   #21
Uncle Malice

Arsenal in whatever flavor you prefer... of the models available today, I like the SAM7 a lot...

The new Palmetto State Armory AK is getting a lot of good press at a very reasonable price... I have one being delivered on Monday, so I'll be putting it through it's paces for a while. 100% US made. Similarly, the Century C39V2 is also 100% US made with a milled receiver and has had some relatively good press as well - even from Jim Fuller of Rifle Dynamics.

The Zastava N-PAP M70 is a surprisingly decent rifle for the money as well, if you don't mind the Yugo differences.

WASR's are an interesting beast. They're so variable. Some are surprisingly great, some are surprisingly bad.... For this reason, if you want to buy a WASR, buy it locally rather than online. But that's usually good advice for most AK purchases... otherwise, be sure to do your due diligence upon pickup inspection. Checking all the rivets, checking for canted sights, barrel straightness, etc.
Old November 27, 2017, 08:54 PM   #22
TommyP

I bought a Century AK at a gun show 2 years ago, paid $500 for it. I love mine. It shoots well enough and is great for pasture plinking.
Old December 21, 2017, 03:17 AM   #23
Sturmpanzer

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/com....html?Itemid=0