The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 20, 2021, 09:10 AM   #1
AreYaSerious

New to CZ, help me

Hey I have always had nothing but striker fire guns. I shot a friends cz pcr and liked the sa/da platform. I have narrowed my search down to p- 01 omega or p-07. I’ve read to where the p-07 can get warm shooting a lot of rounds, and I know the p-01 can get holster wear and tear. So my question is what would the better cz be l? The poly p-07 or the alloy p-01.
Old September 20, 2021, 09:53 AM   #2
SSGN-Doc

I usually don’t worry about holster wear. I have put lots of rounds through a P07. Maybe never enough at once to notice heating problems. But I have put 300 rounds per session through it when ammo times were better.

A P01 is on my list of pistols to get.

I honestly don’t think you would be disappointed by either choice.

Probably not a super helpful response. Sorry.
Old September 20, 2021, 09:54 AM   #3
jackstrawIII

I have the P-01 and it's my favorite handgun. I have nothing but good things to say about it. Never owned a P-07, but I've heard good things about it.

What drew me to the P01 were the classic looks and the ability to put nice Walnut grips on it... which I love.
Old September 20, 2021, 09:57 AM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Thread moved to Semi-Auto handguns
Jeepaholic
Old September 20, 2021, 10:30 AM   #5
jetinteriorguy

If you can afford it, get em both. You won’t regret it.
Old September 20, 2021, 12:43 PM   #6
JDBerg

I have a P-01 but it’s not an Omega trigger. It’s a great shooting pistol and I can highly recommend one of these. I have enough experience with a P-07
to recommend that also. Not a bad choice to be made between these 2 guns.
Old September 20, 2021, 01:15 PM   #7
HighDesert

Love the P-01 Omega. Hands down one of my favorite. Some added goodies from Cajun Gun Works and it's even better. The decocker DA/SA is excellent for a carry gun. Omega is easy to convert to a safety too. Holster wear....some manufacturers make guns with built in holster wear and charge an extra $300-400 for it!
Old September 20, 2021, 03:57 PM   #8
sevt_chevelle

Id rather go P01 non omega. The non omega guns respond to trigger mods much better.
If doing trigger modifications is not your thing than the omega is fine, frankly likely a better out of the box trigger.

Your buddies PCR and the P01 are the same gun, the pcr just lacks the rail and won't have an omega trigger system.

What's your idea of a lot of rounds?

Imo, the 75 series, which the p01 is a member of, has a better selection of aftermarket parts than the p07/09.

Got 3 PCRs and a p09 it would be tough call if I had to get rid of one.

Have you pulled the trigger on an omega system, they are different.
Old September 20, 2021, 04:20 PM   #9
HighDesert

Initially, the Omega trigger mods weren't as nice but that was early on. Likely because the options hadn't quite been refined. You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference now. I've shot a P-01 Omega and P-01 both with CGW mods and really couldn't tell the difference. If it wasn't for the decockers being different I wouldn't have knows which was which.
Old September 20, 2021, 06:21 PM   #10
cslinger

ALL guns both get “warm” shooting a lot of rounds and exhibit holster wear.

I prefer the P01/PCR. “feels” more svelte to me and being a true CZ75 variant parts and mags are more available.
Old September 22, 2021, 10:29 AM   #11
Fishbed77

I own a P-07. It gets no warmer when firing than any other polymer-framed short-recoil action 9mm pistol (Glock, M&P, etc.).

As far as a choice between the P-01 and P-07, they are both excellent pistols.

Last edited by Fishbed77; September 22, 2021 at 10:36 AM.
Old September 23, 2021, 07:09 PM   #12
AreYaSerious

Y’all talked me into eventually getting both. Thanks everyone. The local gun shop has a p07 in stock. I can’t find a p01 local so I’ll start with the p07, then add a p01 later when stock is easier to come by.

Last edited by AreYaSerious; September 23, 2021 at 07:14 PM.
Old September 23, 2021, 10:23 PM   #13
cslinger

Well that would just be wasteful and silly to buy two guns.
Old September 26, 2021, 11:50 AM   #14
Lima Oscar 7

I’m not sure anyone can become self-defense proficient with a handgun without holster wear. You can surely become target proficient but competent self-defense requires numerous presentations from a holster. The key might be to buy a pistol with molecular level metal treatment to abate rust once the finish is worn.
Old September 29, 2021, 10:44 PM   #15
AreYaSerious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lima Oscar 7 View Post
I’m not sure anyone can become self-defense proficient with a handgun without holster wear. You can surely become target proficient but competent self-defense requires numerous presentations from a holster. The key might be to buy a pistol with molecular level metal treatment to abate rust once the finish is worn.
To be clear, I'm not worried about holster wear, I just assumed the metal alloy frame would show worse wear then a polymer frame. Didn’t mean to sound prissy or come off as a person that cares about the looks of my firearm. That honestly doesn’t matter to me.
Old September 30, 2021, 08:37 AM   #16
cslinger

What I think you will find is alloy will show wear, especially from rings and such dinging it up. Polymer, however, can slowly have its texture wear down/smooth out over time. (I don’t mean in a the frame is disintegrating way just in a smoothing with use way).

As an aside I had my P01 out for the first time in quite a long time yesterday and it is such a great pistol and I am always surprised by just how small it is.
Old September 30, 2021, 10:04 AM   #17
wild cat mccane

Remind me on metal treatments:
-Stainless steel can be nitride treated, but it is counterproductive to the stainless quality being previous to treatment good rust resistant and the nitride actually hurts that quality by introducing ferrous sulfate,
-Steel can be nitride treated, and that is a very positive quality,
-Lightweight alloy/aluminum cannot be nitride treated but, also, aren't prone to rust to begin with.

Therefore, only the slide and steel guts of an alloy/steel mixed gun are nitride treated. The alloy grip is not. The wear of these two different metals is either galling or the steel literally removing material from the alloy by friction.

Will the alloy grip crack however is a question of the force of the caliber recoil, not the mix of the two metals causing the galling or material friction.
Old December 7, 2021, 08:02 PM   #18
marano

I have both. The P07 has the omega trigger. I left it with the decocker. The double action pull is not as good as the P-01 which is the non omega. That being said I b relieve the single action is better on the P01. these are slight differences though. The P01 seems more accurate by just a little. I love them both.