The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 16, 2018, 10:13 PM   #1
Nickel Plated

Target hammer and trigger for new S&W Mod. 19

So I'm looking to pick up one of the new model 19(-9?) about the end of the month and was wondering if it's possible to get the wider target trigger and hammer for the new ones. Will ones from older K-frames work?
I think I read that the hammers are the same between frame sizes so a target hammer from one of the classic n frames might work. If I can find one.
But that still leaves the trigger.
Old October 17, 2018, 01:27 AM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

I don't know for certain what will work, or if you can even get them, but I've got a pretty good idea of what will not work.

The original S&W hammer with its firing pin won't work in a gun with a frame mounted firing pin. Likely the old trigger matching that hammer won't work, either. And N frame parts won't work in the K frame guns. I'm told some K & L frame parts will interchange, but not K and N frame parts.

Next question is can you even get the desired parts????

Back in "the good old days" S&W sold hammers, triggers, sights, and grips in blister packs. then S&W restricted most parts to authorized repair stations (certain gunsmiths), and today I don't know if they even do that. It might be, that in order to get those parts on a new gun it might have to go to the S&W Custom Shop.

A call to S&W might be in order,

Good Luck!
Old October 17, 2018, 09:49 PM   #3
straightshooterjake

I believe the new model 19 revolvers are internally identical to the new model 66 revolvers. Some posters on the Smith & Wesson blue forum have reported that the new model 66 revolvers have a larger diameter hammer stud than the older revolvers. Apparently, no hammers from other models are interchangeable with the new model 66, and I suspect this is also true for the new model 19.