The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 18, 2018, 12:54 PM   #1
ronto

Revolver With Lowest DA Trigger Pull?

I presently carry a Ruger SP101 with a DA trigger pull of about 14 pounds. I have developed arthritis in my trigger finger and this is becoming a problem.
What revolver rated for 357 Magnum or 38+P has the lowest DA trigger pull in pounds?
Thank you for your replies.
"We will do this: we will hang together, we will keep our organization, our arms, our discipline, our hatred of oppression, until one universal shout goes up from an admiring age that this Missouri Cavalry Division preferred exile to submission, death to dishonor".

General Joseph O. Shelby, CSA (1830-1897)

The only Confederate General who refused to surrender himself or his 1,000+ "Iron Brigade".
Old September 18, 2018, 01:19 PM   #2
Scoits

Trigger pull is changeable by any competent gunsmith. You should be able to get any poundage you desire
Old September 18, 2018, 01:25 PM   #3
Jim Watson

The Ruger LCR has the lightest FACTORY double action pull I have seen in a small revolver.

Gemini does deluxe SPs with DA in the 9, 10, 11 pound range but I don't know if they will do JUST that without their high, higher, or very high priced package redos.
Old September 18, 2018, 01:29 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

Factory triggers don't count. They all need work. The manufacturers are all terrified of frivolous law suits.
However, if you have arthritis in your hands it's not the trigger pull that'll hurt most. It's gripping securely enough and the recoil.
Mines in my hips and feet of all places. Daft that it doesn't hurt to walk though. Worst thing was the bone spur(one of the joyous side effects of arthritis) that grew where the Achilles tendon connects to the heel.
Isn't the weight of the pull either. It's how smooth it is. So pick a revolver that fits your hand and have a trigger job done. Tell the smithy about the arthritis.
Old September 18, 2018, 01:32 PM   #5
jfruser

ronto:

I am a S&W guy all the way, but the Ruger LCR has a relatively light DA trigger--though its trigger pull L-O-N-G relative to the S&W J-frames. Feels like they made that trade-off deliberately. The LCR is light and will have more recoil than the SP101.

The SP101 has a gawdawful trigger pull and reset, IME.

Smith & Wesson K-frame and L-frame DA trigger can be tuned to be very light. And used & inexpensive K-frame .38spl (+P if you want) M10 and M64 revolvers are just a smidge larger than your SP101. If you want .357mag, it will cost a few more $$$.

If you are open to semi-autos, but still want a longer DA-ish trigger pull that happens to be light, the striker-fired pistols are an option. Glock, S&W M&P, etc. Used Glocks are cheap, though more in .40S&W than 9mm than in years past. Not to my taste, but hey are reliable options.
Old September 18, 2018, 01:59 PM   #6
2damnold4this

The Kimber K6s has a great factory trigger pull.
Old September 18, 2018, 03:17 PM   #7
AzShooter

I use to use "The Gunsmith" in Phoenix, Az. to do all my revolver work. He would give me, and all competition shooters a 7 pound trigger pull. For a carry gun trigger pulls were set at 9 - 10 pounds for reliability with all ammo.

I've since learned to do my own trigger work and get them down to 4 1/2 - 5 pounds for competition but would never suggest that in a carry gun. I smooth the out and keep everything stock in the gun. Again, they run between 9 and 10 pounds double action.

Old Smith & Wesson's have great smooth triggers. Smooth is more important than the poundage.
Old September 18, 2018, 04:16 PM   #8
HighValleyRanch

It's not just the actual weight of the trigger pull, but how smooth, whether it stacks or is smooth all the way through, how crips the break is, whether you can stage the trigger, etc.

Another factor that no one has mentioned so far is the grip factor. If you can get you finger to wrap the trigger deeper, than a heavier pull is workable. So this depends on the grip frame, the grips and the shooters length of pull or trigger distance.
Old September 18, 2018, 04:41 PM   #9
Wishoot

Out of the box, I would opt for an LCR.
Old September 18, 2018, 05:42 PM   #10
Model12Win

Learn to stage the trigger and install the lightest spring poundage you can possibly muster.
Old September 18, 2018, 06:56 PM   #11
pete2

The.38 LCR has the lightest pull of any factory trigger I've tried. The SP101 has the hardest pull I've ever tried. I do have a 642 that is light enough to shoot but not as light as the LCR. I bought a 2nd 642 and it had a much heavier pull than the 1st one. I bought a Wolff spring for it(not the light spring) and it's about like #1. It's a carry gun and has to fire every time so no light springs for me. I too suffer from arthritis so the pull needs to be pretty good,, I can't do the hard triggers. I have K, L and 1 N frame with great triggers, range/game guns. Not suitable for carry tho. I haven't handled the Kimber or the new Colt, hopefully someone will comment on them.
Old September 18, 2018, 09:12 PM   #12
Buckeye!

My LCR357 has a good trigger ... My Charter revolvers have good triggers ...better than a stock J frame ... But they are not as smooth..I like to leave my triggers stock .. None of my small frame revolvers are target guns .. They are SD revolvers.. BUGs
Old September 18, 2018, 09:51 PM   #13
4V50 Gary
Staff

JimWatson - is the Ruger LCR lighter than the S&W M&P polymer frame revolver? I'm asking for a relative who can't pull a slide back and doesn't have much grip strength.
Old September 18, 2018, 10:05 PM   #14
Jim Watson

You mean the Bodyguard? It has been a while since I handled one but I was not impressed.
Old September 18, 2018, 11:08 PM   #15
WheelGunMan

Changing a hammer spring on an SP101 is very easy to do. They even have tutorials over at rugerforum.net on how to do it.Takes about 10 minutes if that.
Old September 18, 2018, 11:59 PM   #16
TruthTellers

For all the people here who are commenting on the SP101 DA trigger being "bad" I tried a 5 shot LCRx next to a 6 shot .327 SP101 and the SP felt equal to or better than the LCRx. I also tried a different .327 SP101 next to a .357 SP101 and there was a noticeable difference in the two triggers again favoring the .327.

It leads me to believe the extra round in the cylinder means the cylinder doesn't have to rotate as much and that reduces the length of the pull.

I would buy a .327 SP101 over a .357 or 9mm SP101 any day for the better trigger.

Now, back to revolver with the lowest DA pull, I can't answer that, I suspect it will be the Ruger LCR because I've never seen anything negative about the trigger for the LCR outside of .22 rimfire.

OP, if you're having issues pulling a DA trigger now, your condition is only going to get worse over time. I would strongly consider switching to a DA/SA or SAO semi automatic. The concept of a revolver with a super light DA trigger is great in theory, but impossible in reality. As much as I would love a revolver to have a DA trigger that is 5 lbs, it's never going to happen and I've just accepted it. If I need a trigger that light, I buy a semi auto and call it a day.
Old September 19, 2018, 08:18 AM   #17
Jim Watson

Quote:
Changing a hammer spring on an SP101 is very easy to do.
But it may not be a good idea. The factory spring is strong enough to fire the hardest primer in the roughest gun.
I would not reduce the mainspring in a carry gun without work done to reduce friction in proportion.
Old September 19, 2018, 09:25 AM   #18
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronto View Post
I presently carry a Ruger SP101 with a DA trigger pull of about 14 pounds. I have developed arthritis in my trigger finger and this is becoming a problem.
What revolver rated for 357 Magnum or 38+P has the lowest DA trigger pull in pounds?
Thank you for your replies.
I don't know if it's "lowest", but my old S&W Model 19-4 is very pleasant to shoot double action.

I thought for sure some prior owner had had some trigger work done on it, until I had a chance to shoot someone else's. Same trigger. That was just how they made them.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old September 19, 2018, 09:29 AM   #19
MarkCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoits View Post
Trigger pull is changeable by any competent gunsmith. You should be able to get any poundage you desire
Yep. I have two S&Ws that are silky smooth with fairly low trigger pull weights and 100% reliable with CCI primers.
Old September 19, 2018, 10:58 AM   #20
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCO
Yep. I have two S&Ws that are silky smooth with fairly low trigger pull weights and 100% reliable with CCI primers.
Not doubting you (I can say the same about some of my worked-on revolvers), but we should point out that "fairly low" and "any poundage you desire" aren't necessarily the same thing. Plus, mechanical advantages are reduced in smaller revolvers, so that same "fairly low" may not be reliable in an SP101.

As pointed out, some good tuning can make a noticeable difference, but IMO, the OP shouldn't interpret anything on this thread to mean he can get any weight he wants without any compromise.
Old September 19, 2018, 11:20 AM   #21
MarkCO

Yeah, you are right, the word "reasonable" needs to be interjected.
Old September 19, 2018, 12:16 PM   #22
Drm50

S&Ws can be lighted considerably just with aftermarket spring kits. You just have to be careful not to make it to light. You can get it down to the point you
will have ununiform ignition of primer or misfires. Do not use strain screw as a
means of adjusting trigger pull.
Old September 19, 2018, 03:16 PM   #23
Dufus

Reducing friction essentially makes trigger pull less, but does not reduce the measured break.

I find that strategic polishing works wonders on most handguns, but I don't recommend just anyone to do it.
Old September 19, 2018, 06:49 PM   #24
NAW

My vote is for the Ruger lcr in any of the centerfire ammo. My LCR357 mag is smooth at 7 lbs
Old September 20, 2018, 12:37 PM   #25
WheelGunMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
But it may not be a good idea. The factory spring is strong enough to fire the hardest primer in the roughest gun.
I would not reduce the mainspring in a carry gun without work done to reduce friction in proportion.
I too have arthritic hands and because of a skin disorder semi-auto's are not viable option for me.

I'm also a firm believer that if you customize something to fit your physical requirements you will use it more often and more importantly you'll derive greater satisfaction from it. And by using it more often you become more proficient with it. What's the point of owning something you can't enjoy?

That being said I switched to a10# hammer spring and an 8# trigger spring on my SP101 DAO because the original spring was much to stiff for my liking. I even went the extra mile and installed hammer shims. The end result is the pull on it is now light, glass smooth, comfortable and consistent. I have since put over 1000 rounds down the pipe and have had "0" light strikes and FTF's.

I now have a firearm that is a joy to shoot.