The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old June 9, 2014, 05:35 PM   #1
Sharkbite

AAC Ti-rant 9S?????

Anybody have any experiance with the "mini" cans? Im thinking about adding one of the AAC Ti-rant 9S cans to my stamp collection. Im not sure if i want to go small and just deal with the decreased performance. Or if another full sized pistol can is what i should get

The 9s is only about 5" long, so thats the point of interest for me. The 45S is slightly longer but give multy-cal versatility at 6.5". A full size Octane9 is almost 8"

I have a Octane45....its a GREAT can but its BIG. This new one will be a back up to the Octane45 and might become the dedicated house gun can

So many choices and with the whole NFA stamp process its hard to shop around

Anyone got any sage advise??
Old June 9, 2014, 09:28 PM   #2
Theohazard

Well, I've never shot any of the Ti-Rant "S" model short cans but we used to carry them at my old job, so I'll give you my thoughts on the subject anyway (for what it's worth).

If you look at any of the online tests or talk to anyone who has shot them, they're noticeably louder than the top-of-the-line full-sized cans like the Octane, Osprey, Mystic, and the full-sized Ti-Rant. So if you're buying the silencer for recreational use, you might be disappointed with the "S" model's performance.

But since you already have a normal-sized can for recreational use and you're looking for something thats smaller and lighter, the "S" models might be perfect. I currently have my Octane on my home-defense Glock 19, and it definitely makes the gun a lot longer and heavier. So for home-defense use, an "S" model would be great. If I had the extra money for a dedicated home-defense can, I'd get the Ti-Rant 9S for sure.
Old June 9, 2014, 09:31 PM   #3
Sharkbite

Thanks buddy

Thats my thought process as well. Any thoughts on the 45s VS the 9s?
Old June 9, 2014, 10:52 PM   #4
Theohazard

No problem, my friend. As for caliber, the 9S will almost certainly be slightly quieter with 9mm than the 45S will be, and its also a little bit smaller. I guess it all depends on what you use for home defense -- if you only use 9mm then get the 9S. In my opinion, versatility is mostly good for a recreational multi-use can. But since this will be a dedicated home-defense setup, get it in whichever caliber you plan to use for home-defense.
Old June 22, 2014, 03:21 PM   #5
Sharkbite

Well, i shot a 9s today.

I liked it. It is louder then a full size can but not horrible at all. Shot it at an indoor range so i could get the full effect of it inside

Absolutely doable as a home defense can

Needless to say it will be another stamp in my growing collection.
Old June 24, 2014, 11:56 PM   #6
Machineguntony

I prefer the S variant to the full size variant. IMO the full size suppressors are only minimally quieter. The smaller suppressors are easier to handle.

Last edited by Machineguntony; June 25, 2014 at 08:17 AM.