The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 1, 2017, 01:59 PM   #1
simonrichter

Handguns and wild boars...

My dog and I had an encounter with a wild boar today. Not that it's relevant given the local gun laws, but out of curiosity: Is any handguns suitable for bringing down these beasts? I reckon my .22 wouldn't have done me any good even of I could carry it...
Old May 1, 2017, 02:11 PM   #2
CDR_Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonrichter View Post
My dog and I had an encounter with a wild boar today. Not that it's relevant given the local gun laws, but out of curiosity: Is any handguns suitable for bringing down these beasts? I reckon my .22 wouldn't have done me any good even of I could carry it...

44 Magnum or larger, I'd say. Closer to 454 Casull. If it charges you, you're screwed with a 22 LR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old May 1, 2017, 02:19 PM   #3
Wyosmith

All of the revolver magnums, of 357 and larger, do quite well on hogs if the proper bullet is used. A heavy bullet that holds it's weight well does well.

I personally have never killed a wild hog, but when I was running Cast Performance Bullet Co I oversaw the sales of millions of bullets to hunters all over the USA and other countries too. I heard a lot of success stories from many hog hunters.
In fact we had a LOT of success storied from hunting killing bears and buffalo, as well as planes game in Africa, North American Moose, Elk, Caribou, and a handful of Elephant and hippos too.

Most of the very large animals were killed with 44 magnums, 45 Colts with hot loads, and 454 Casulls, but there were enough 357 magnum and 41 magnum kills to keep me reading the reports every week for several years.

So I have no doubt that hogs are not a problem if you shoot well.
Old May 1, 2017, 02:30 PM   #4
ThomasT

A buddy was a hunting guide in south Tx and hogs and turkey were a real problem with the deer feeders. He said one day has was driving down one of the dirt roads and a few hogs were walking along in the brush beside him. So he stopped the truck and pulled out his S&W model 65 357 mag and when a 250 pound bore stopped about 20 foot away he shot it. His load was Remington green box 158gr JHP with the scalloped bullet.

He said that load dropped the pig in his tracks. The exit hole one the back of the pig was the size of an orange. He has stated several times "you don't want to be shot with a 357". As a guide he has seen lots of wounds from rifles but that was the only bullet wound he has ever talked about. He was impressed.

Another friend in east Tx was hunting deer and had a hog staring at him across a creek. So he pulled out a Ruger single six 22 and shot it between the eyes and it just crumpled were it stood. Bullet placement is everything.
Old May 1, 2017, 02:55 PM   #5
2damnold4this

I have killed them with .45 ACP and .22 lr as well as .308 Win.
Old May 1, 2017, 04:13 PM   #6
Model12Win

.454 Casull on up if you really want to stop one during a charge.
Old May 1, 2017, 04:57 PM   #7
Bob Wright

I had an acquaintance who worked for the US Government in some capacity who got around a lot. His aim was to kill a wild boar in every state they were found.

His revolver was a .44 Magnum, a Smith & Wesson Model 629 with a 5" barrel. His choice of ammunition was a 200 gr. cast bullet, cast hard, and nearly a wadcutter shape.

He even had the head of a boar engraved on the sideplate of his gun.

Bob Wright
Old May 1, 2017, 04:59 PM   #8
Bob Wright

Incidentally, I believe the OP is referring to Russian Boar, or "Roosians" as they are often called, which run into the 450 pound range.

Hi-tempered critters.

Bob Wright
Old May 1, 2017, 05:13 PM   #9
DaleA

Well those boars are definitely something to look out for as this USA Today story documents:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...nts/100876844/

If you check the comments the author took much teasing. John Bacon wrote a story about wild boars. (Wonder if Bacon's editor has a sense of humor.)
Old May 1, 2017, 06:32 PM   #10
Japle

I've shot them with .357, .44 Special, .44 AutoMag and .45ACP out of a S&W 625JM.
They all worked just fine, but I had good shot placement every time.

They run fast!! The one I shot with the .357 was running like mad at about 20 feet, trying to get away. Two quick hits through the lungs did the trick.

A charging hog must be a tough shot. I'd aim for the nose and hope to hit the head or neck and knock him (or her) down long enough to break the spine.
Old May 1, 2017, 06:59 PM   #11
Dane17

357 is fine (at least in south Florida) in most cases. I've used 22 mag but only on close head shots while using dogs.

A mature boar has a large cartilage chest plate. With pistol calibers in that situation I go for the head.
Old May 1, 2017, 07:17 PM   #12
john in jax

.357mag or .44mag will do the trick.

The .357mag is lighter and requires not only a real good hard cast bullet running hit, but real good shot placement as well. This Buffalo Bore load seems like it would be a good candidate.
https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...uct_list&c=162

The bigger, heavier .44mag allows more of a "fudge factor" just in case you have to draw and fire without taking the time carefully aim. Shot placement is still important, just not as critical.

I assume you may be in the market for a new "dog walking gun". If so a 4" .357 mag like a S&W 686 or a Ruger GP100 would be a good option. I am recommending a full sized revolver because you are going to want that weight/mass when you pull the trigger on that heavy load.

Last edited by john in jax; May 1, 2017 at 07:48 PM.
Old May 1, 2017, 07:58 PM   #13
Old Stony

About an hr. ago a lady called me and asked if I could help her get a hog out of a trap. Her husband was gone and she didn't even have a firearm. I went out and just took a suppressed .22 pistol. It was only about a 30 lb. sow, and went down with the first shot. I have shot many in this manner, but out in the open you would probably want something bigger if you couldn't get a close controlled shot.
Old May 1, 2017, 08:54 PM   #14
Bob Wright

A number of years ago, about thirty or so, I talked to a man who had had an encounter with a boar up in east Tennessee. He was using a Colt Python, and shot the boar six times before his guide put it down with a 12 ga. slug. He told me they found his six bullets just under the skin, perfectly expanded. I asked him what ammunition he was using.

His response was Remington 125 gr. semi-jacketed hollow points.

And he was blaming the Python for its "miserable performance."

As a matter of interest, my late brother's in laws lived in Athens, Tennessee, and had wild bar and black eyed peas for New Year's Day dinner. Their gun of choice was either a 12 ga. with slugs, or a Winchester .30-30.

Bob Wright
Old May 2, 2017, 08:35 AM   #15
jglsprings

Simon

How big do "wild boar" run in Austria? Are they they as big as we see in U.S.?

Commas save lives...
Old May 2, 2017, 09:42 AM   #16
MandolinMan

As others have already pointed out, shot placement and penetration are key. The bullets needs to be able to break bone and reach the vitals. Because over-penetration is not a concern, I would recommend hardcast bullets. While a magnum revolver is probably the best choice, I have only 9mm and 45 autos. My choice would be a +P hardcast or FMJ from Buffalo Bore, Double Tap, or Underwood.

As always, a long gun is preferred.
Old May 2, 2017, 11:53 AM   #17
T. O'Heir

The bullet construction is more important than its calibre. No cast or HP's in cf magnum cartridges. Doesn't have to be .44 or above. Does have to be in a firearm you can shoot accurately in a hurry.
"...large cartilage chest plate..." That armour is on the back of Porkie's neck.
"...out of a trap..." That ain't the same as hunting 'em.
Old May 2, 2017, 12:07 PM   #18
Tactical Jackalope

An SBR in .458 SOCOM.

In all seriousness, I'd go with .45ACP or 10mm in a semi-automatic or a .44MAG+ in a revolver.
Old May 2, 2017, 01:05 PM   #19
Slopemeno

I had a friend that owned a piece of property where the pigs reached 300+ lbs. .357 and .223 worked well.
Old May 2, 2017, 01:20 PM   #20
rickyrick

I killed lots of trapped hogs with a 9mm no problem.
I've also stalked them and killed them with a 9mm

However if you leap out of a truck and try to shoot an unexpected running pig with a 9mm, you may fail... as I did ... lol
Old May 2, 2017, 02:21 PM   #21
simonrichter

I reckon maybe "hog" is the more appropriate term for what is to be found in out woods. I assume they are quite similar to the North American variation, around 400lbs max. Din't know why I used the term "boar" at the first place, maybe too much "Game Of Thrones"
Old May 2, 2017, 02:38 PM   #22
Lohman446

I've never tried the "minimum" caliber on a Russian Boar but one experience hunting them (on a ranch) was that the toughness factor was drastically over sold.

I carried a G20 (10MM) sidearm and the guide thought that would have been more than enough had I wanted to use it.
Old May 2, 2017, 02:48 PM   #23
Old Stony

Gotta agree with that !!
Old May 2, 2017, 03:26 PM   #24
Siggy-06

I think the caliber will depend on the factors: the hogs size, the brush, the distance, and if you're being charged at. I've killed them with 5.56/.223 from my AR15 easy, hunting for them.

Handgun calibers, for dispatching one that's too close, endangering you or a pet, or one that's run you up a tree, I'd say a hardcast .40s&w and above would be fine for anything under 300 lbs with good placement. .357 mag and abover for wheelguns.
Old May 2, 2017, 09:34 PM   #25
Creek Henry

How lethal is the 50gi?