The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 2, 2014, 12:18 PM   #1
DIY_guy

Anybody anodizing aluminum at home?

Are there any members of this sight that have tackled anodizing aluminum at home? If so, are you willing to share your experience and techniques? I plan on taking on this task so I thought out would put out the request.
Old April 2, 2014, 06:07 PM   #2
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

The best thing I can recommend is visiting Caswell Plating's website, and look for a downloadable copy of their pamphlet on anodizing. Some of the stuff they have is stuff you can get by without, such as the 'space-balls" (ping pong balls), to keep down mist, and any expensive dye, as RIT dye will work. However, I would recommend using the sealer in the end, as just boiling after the dye isn't near as good for holding the color. Also, the etchant, if you want it, is really just a mild lye solution, so you don't have to buy an expensive etchant, and can get by without it when anodizing a freshly polished part. If you have a good adjustable power supply, and a good source for battery acid, then the worst part is whipped.

http://www.caswellplating.com/electr...zing-kits.html

Old April 3, 2014, 12:13 AM   #3
croc4

Yeah I have done a number of lowers. I didn't go the caswell route though.

I picked up an aluminum small office trash can as my anodizing container. I then used aluminum flat stock to create a 'basket' that fits inside the trash can, this is my cathode. I place all of this in an ice chest and then fill the chest with ice to keep the acid/water mix cool. During the process it will heat up, and keeping it cool is one important key to a good ano finish.

Then you will need a good power supply, I hooked two 12v supplies (10amps) in series to give my 24v, but you can use a 12v supply as well.

The biggest key is to get the piece you are going to ano clean, this is very important for a consistent finish.

croc4
Old April 3, 2014, 10:19 PM   #4
iraiam

Yes, I have done some pretty good anodizing "DIY style", The best one was an 80% lower I finished and anodized, and I have done some other flying model airplane parts as well.

I didn't buy a caswell kit, but I did use their dyes and used them as a reference. They have an anodizing video tutorial on their website linked in the above post.

Choose a good quality aluminum alloy for the cathode, I use a sheet of 6061 with holes in it formed into a circle to surround the part being anodized, I have
also used a small electric pump and external cooling, which was just a roll of plastic tubing submerged in a bucket of ice water that the concoction gets pumped through.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason