The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 8, 2020, 08:02 PM   #1
dvdcrr

What Scope for AR15?

I just bought a couple AR15 mounts, one is a 1" the other is a 30 mm.

Problem is what scope should I get? I was using a 4X scope with some real thick cross hairs and we didn't like it. This would be for plinking/hunting/2A (hopefully never) purposes.

What are you guys pitting on your AR's?
I guess my particular budget would be in the 599 max range.As much as I can get for my money.
"All warfare is based on deception. Hence when we are able to attack we must seem unable....when using our forces we must appear inactive. When we are near we must make the enemy believe we are far away."Sun Tzu The Art of War.
Old February 8, 2020, 08:20 PM   #2
MarkCO

The Burris RT6 is the best LPV on the market for under about $750, so right in your budget at about $350 and a 30mm tube. Nothing else delivers the clarity and features until you hit $800. It is a 1-6, with great clarity, a throw lever and a forever warranty (that you won't need).
Old February 8, 2020, 08:41 PM   #3
jmr40

Something with 1-6X or 1-4X is about ideal. I like the 30mm tubes a little better, but have used some with 1" tubes too. I've found 1X to be really great for up close, fast shooting. Better than dots or iron sights. And 4X is enough magnification for at least 300-400 yards. I've shot out to 400-600 yards with 6X scopes.

Cross hair type is personal and always a compromise. The thicker ones work better for fast shooting, especially in low light. Fine crosshairs are more precise but often cant be seen in poor light.

I've heard good things about the Burris above, but have never used it. I have a Vortex Strike Force 1-6X on 1 rifle and it is OK. Not great,but OK. I have a now discontinued Nikon 1-4X24 on another and actually like it better. Leupold makes a good 1-4X20 on a 1" tube that sells for around $200.

But there are several good options, but I'd highly recommend something 1-4X or 1-6X.

Winston Churchill
Old February 9, 2020, 02:18 PM   #4
Nathan

Can you tell us more about your AR? How far do you want to shoot?
Old February 9, 2020, 02:34 PM   #5
dvdcrr

What do you think about Trijicon Creedo, Accupoint
"All warfare is based on deception. Hence when we are able to attack we must seem unable....when using our forces we must appear inactive. When we are near we must make the enemy believe we are far away."Sun Tzu The Art of War.
Old February 9, 2020, 05:05 PM   #6
Nathan

Quote:
What do you think about Trijicon Creedo, Accupoint
Good, but a sfp
Old February 9, 2020, 06:12 PM   #7
rickyrick

You can usually get more scope for the buck with a 3-9x40, if you size the ring height and eye relief to you, it will do well with most things outside of a house.

Without knowing the specifics, I’m just guessing about what you need
Old February 9, 2020, 09:24 PM   #8
Eazyeach

Before I got super tacticool I used to have a Leupold 2-7 mounted on an AR. For plinking and hunting you could do worse. $200-$300. Or closer to the top of your budget you could get a firedot. $450-500
Old February 11, 2020, 10:30 AM   #9
bamaranger

scopes

What type of AR will the scope go on, fixed butt, rifle size, 20" barrel, or telestock 16" carbine? For me that will have a bearing on what scope is mounted. On a rifle size AR, I might go as big as 3x9x40, but a carbine will get something smaller. I don't think I want a dot on either. Dots and battery life have come a long way, but a good one is costly, and I can get a scope that serves my needs as well or better, at about half the cost of a top end dot.

I like to keep my carbines and correspondingly, my scopes, light and trim. I only run one 30mm tubed scope, and it is on a heavy bolt match rifle that (used to) only goes from the tailgate to the firing line. All my field/hunting rifles and carbines wear 1" scopes in an effort to reduce size and weight. Burdening a tidy carbine of any type with a big scope is one those things with me, ....I don't get it. The trend seems to be 30mm tubes on AR carbines, but that is not the way I do it.

As I'm not doing entries or assaults or timed competition, the AR carbine is a general purpose arm for me, which means I'll be carrying it outdoors, in daylight and likely shooting at varmints or plinking targets of opportunity like stumps, rocks and so on. I don't need a light, or a laser, and a dot does not offer enough precision on smaller targets. For this type of shooting, a scope w/ some type of crosshairs works just fine. That said one of the newer "Fire Dot" arrangements might be the best of both worlds, but I do not think any come with 1" tube, and we're back to the battery issue as well.

I believe Leupold's 1-4x has been discontinued, and replaced in the Leupold Freedom line with a 1.5-5x at about the same dimensions and price range. Watch out for import fakes. Used Leupold 1-4x's do not last long on the market. It appears that Weaver has discontinued their tidy 1-3x. Nikon is out of the scope businesss so their 1-4x is gone, and service on a used one is up in the air as well. Vortex and Primary Arms have 1-4x, but 30mm tubes and illumination add weight and size, and I do not want to go there. I don't see anything in the Burris line that measures up at all, though I like their stuff as a rule.
Old February 11, 2020, 04:25 PM   #10
pblanc

I think whether the scope should have a 1" tube or a 30 mm tube would be my last consideration for choosing a scope. The bigger diameter tube offers more erector travel and that can be an asset for long range shooters who need to index a lot of elevation on the scope.

Will you be shooting at short range and do you need rapid target acquisition at short range?

Is your AR chambered in .223 Rem/5.56 mm? If so, how far out do you realistically plan to "plink"? How far out to hunt, and what are you hunting?

I would be more concerned with how much magnification you think you need, whether to get a variable magnification scope or a fixed magnification scope, if a variable magnification scope whether to get a first or second focal plane scope, the reticle, the quality of the turrets, etc.
Old February 11, 2020, 04:40 PM   #11
GarandTd

This is not going to be a popular choice by any means, but I have a Simmons 22mag 4x32 scope with some no-name quick disconnect rings. It's great. I put it on and take it off all the time and the rifle gets knocked around a bit in the vehicle and during handling and has maintained zero just fine. It just clears my MBUIS. Best of all, it only cost me about $25. I have a 16" barrel with a carbine gas system.

Below is a target shot at 50 yards with cheapish WWB ammo. The groups open up as the barrel heats up, but, I was happy with the results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rps20200211_163711_642.jpg (155.6 KB, 39 views)
Old February 12, 2020, 03:31 PM   #12
ms6852

On my predator pursuit by RRA I have a Sightron 4X16-44 scope and on my M&P 15 I have a Vortex 3X prism spitfire scope. The vortex has etched bdc reticle good to 500 yards and can be used in the day without illumination in case your battery gets low.
Old February 12, 2020, 08:50 PM   #13
O4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms6852 View Post
On my predator pursuit by RRA I have a Sightron 4X16-44 scope and on my M&P 15 I have a Vortex 3X prism spitfire scope. The vortex has etched bdc reticle good to 500 yards and can be used in the day without illumination in case your battery gets low.
I have a 1x Spitfire on one AR and I came real close to getting the 3x version for another one but I decided to try the LVPO thing and found a deal on a Riton mod3 1-4x24 to try out.

Are you happy with the 3x Spitfire?
Old February 13, 2020, 10:30 AM   #14
chuck jones

For my money (under $300) you can't beat the Primary Arms Compact 3x32 Gen II with their ACSS reticle.

My cousin and I both took these scopes to a carbine class at Gunsite and they were by far the best set up for every exercise we shot from 10-300 yards

The ACSS reticle is simply amazing and once you get some practice very fast for target ranging and bullet drop. It's equally good at CQB and bright enough to be seen in the blazing AZ sun.

Glass is excellent sharp and clear, and the fixed magnification is super simple, which means fast. With fixed magnification the reticle always appears and functions the same, which makes it very easy to learn.

Out to 300 it's clearly the best set up. If you want to stretch farther say 400-600, which none of us shot during the class, you'll need more magnification for precision, but for a battle rifle that's probably 2-4 MOA anyway you'll still be able to engage silhouettes with the PA 3x32.

Watch a You tube on the ACSS and you'll see what I mean.

The other thing that was apparent from the class was the simpler your set up the better, and the 2 biggest improvements you can make to a carbine are optics and trigger.
Old February 13, 2020, 12:25 PM   #15
ms6852

Quote:
Originally Posted by O4L View Post
I have a 1x Spitfire on one AR and I came real close to getting the 3x version for another one but I decided to try the LVPO thing and found a deal on a Riton mod3 1-4x24 to try out.

Are you happy with the 3x Spitfire?
I really am, to me it is worth it especially when I'm in west Texas with lots of open range, it still allow for fast acquisition or precise shooting up to about 200 yards.
Old February 13, 2020, 04:26 PM   #16
dvdcrr

I had a chance to look at the RT-6 next to a ACOG today.
The reticle on the ACOG was superior, and built like a tank.
However the clarity of the RT-6, was great, scope had good magnification and the reticle was very sharp. I purchased the RT-6 today.
Old February 13, 2020, 05:03 PM   #17
darkgael

cog

I have an ACOG on mine but it was purchased years ago when the big numbers had not materialized.
Pete
Old February 13, 2020, 09:33 PM   #18
O4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms6852 View Post
I really am, to me it is worth it especially when I'm in west Texas with lots of open range, it still allow for fast acquisition or precise shooting up to about 200 yards.
Thanks. I may end up getting one yet.
Old February 14, 2020, 01:16 AM   #19
rickyrick

I got one of these in some weird combo bundle Black Friday deal 2-3 years ago and it’s surprisingly good. Very clear lenses and all.

https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-cros...ex_reticle=978
Old February 14, 2020, 02:43 AM   #20
raimius

Vortex, Primary Arms, and Leupold all make some decent to nice low-power variable optics (1-4, 1-5, 1-6, or 1-8x) in your price range.
Old February 14, 2020, 10:41 AM   #21
Ben Dover

I have Trijicon ACOGs on all three of mt Ar-15s. Wouldn't have anything else.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old February 14, 2020, 05:50 PM   #22
bn12gg

I have a Colt AR15 match target -- with a Leupold 6× 18 scope. For bench shooting it is wonderful. Shoots lights out at significant distances.

.02. David.
Old February 14, 2020, 08:38 PM   #23
Arub

I put a Nikon P223 3-9X40 on mine. Crisp and clear, graduated to 600 yards, 1/4" per click adjustment at 100 yards. Works great, for me, and I didn't have to break the bank to pay for it.
Old February 15, 2020, 09:47 AM   #24
Chipperman

Most of mine have red dots, but I do have one with a Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4x20 and another with a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x24. I’m very happy with both of those. The Strike Eagle is illuminate which is cool for low light shooting
Old February 16, 2020, 02:42 PM   #25
Willie Lowman

I am very impressed with the trijicon accupowers and accupoints. I own an accupower 1-8x and have been very happy with it.

I am considering getting a accupoint 1-4x with the post/triangle reticle for another rifle.

While these scopes are above the OP's $599 price limit when new, I have seen them in that range used.